If we do get back in this. . .

GreatScott82

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
And if we're not able to spend much money next year...dealing Hudson right now is crazy, because he gives you the ability to start next year with a rotation equal or better to this one's for basically the same money. Otherwise, you have to replace Garcia, who has pitched like a $5 million/year pitcher so far this year.

I think they think Sale will be ready by next year, they are THAT high on him.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Judging from the nice DP he turned the other day, I'd take Viciedo right now. And give Omar starts at third two days a week and starts at second for hitless Beckham 2 days at second. Viciedo needs to play 5 of every seven games or it's worthless ruining his progress up here.

One play doesn't make a defender.

From all accounts, Viciedo's a below average 3B.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
They are, I have been told that he will be in the bigs this year.

They said that in BA also...i think he comes up as a reliever late in the year (esp if Williams is still here) but I wouldn't wager on him being in the starting rotation next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
And if we're not able to spend much money next year...dealing Hudson right now is crazy

Flowers as well. Which is why I believe that somebody like LaRoche is the best that Kenny will do at the deadline (if anything).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
They said that in BA also...i think he comes up as a reliever late in the year (esp if Williams is still here) but I wouldn't wager on him being in the starting rotation next year.

yes he will be in the pen this year. i highly doubt he will be in the rotation next year.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
KHP, I agree that the Sox need somebody else at 3B. We can agree to disagree on everything else. I've had enough of your childish prose and personal attacks.

I usually don't agree with you much on stuff, but you have been pretty much money on this whole issue today.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
KHP, I agree that the Sox need somebody else at 3B. We can agree to disagree on everything else. I've had enough of your childish prose and personal attacks.

You're always the better man WC.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
I usually don't agree with you much on stuff, but you have been pretty much money on this whole issue today.

Yeah, and it's in Canadian, called loonies by the locals. SoxAce, you need to stay the hell out of this.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
Yeah, and it's in Canadian, called loonies by the locals. SoxAce, you need to stay the hell out of this.

LOL, this seems a little overdramatic, don't you think? It's on a public message board, I'd like to think that anybody can comment on anything that they want.

---

In regards to Teahen, I think he can be a valuable player in the right role. That role is not as a starting 3B. It might be as a super utility player, it might be as a stopgap corner outfielder, it might even be as a DH. I think what might be best for the Sox is if Teahen comes back and can put up a line similar to that of Chris Burke in 2006 when he put up .276/.347/.418/.765 playing all over the diamond. Hell, I would even say that if either Viciedo proves he can actually hit a bit and sling enough leather to stick or the Sox go and get a decent 3B, it would leave Kotsay with little to no value on this club. Teahen can then fill that spot on the roster while also having the versatility to play a bit of 2B and 3B if absolutely necessary (and with Vizquel on the roster, I would hope that "if necessary" never comes to fruition).

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
Flowers as well. Which is why I believe that somebody like LaRoche is the best that Kenny will do at the deadline (if anything).

Then they arent going to do anything because the rest of our prospects arent really worth a damn to other teams.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
LOL, this seems a little overdramatic, don't you think? It's on a public message board, I'd like to think that anybody can comment on anything that they want.

---

In regards to Teahen, I think he can be a valuable player in the right role. That role is not as a starting 3B. It might be as a super utility player, it might be as a stopgap corner outfielder, it might even be as a DH. I think what might be best for the Sox is if Teahen comes back and can put up a line similar to that of Chris Burke in 2006 when he put up .276/.347/.418/.765 playing all over the diamond. Hell, I would even say that if either Viciedo proves he can actually hit a bit and sling enough leather to stick or the Sox go and get a decent 3B, it would leave Kotsay with little to no value on this club. Teahen can then fill that spot on the roster while also having the versatility to play a bit of 2B and 3B if absolutely necessary (and with Vizquel on the roster, I would hope that "if necessary" never comes to fruition).

I just say that stuff to SoxAce because he always shows up to tell me I'm wrong. We're enemies.

I see where you're coming from on Teahen but I just don't think he's good enough defensively to play all over the field like that. But I do think he brings something to the table that could help us in kind of a Rob Mackowiak kind of way, with less defense but a better bat. The whole crux of my argument though was that Teahen doesn't need to be a starter anywhere on the field and Sox fans shouldn't accept him as one. They should demand better. But yeah, Teahen as the lefty makes Kotsay redundant. Viciedo would do the same to Jones if he gets going, although not having another true OF back up would kind of suck.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
I just say that stuff to SoxAce because he always shows up to tell me I'm wrong. We're enemies.

I see where you're coming from on Teahen but I just don't think he's good enough defensively to play all over the field like that. But I do think he brings something to the table that could help us in kind of a Rob Mackowiak kind of way, with less defense but a better bat. The whole crux of my argument though was that Teahen doesn't need to be a starter anywhere on the field and Sox fans shouldn't accept him as one. They should demand better. But yeah, Teahen as the lefty makes Kotsay redundant. Viciedo would do the same to Jones if he gets going, although not having another true OF back up would kind of suck.

You absolutely need another backup outfielder besides Teahen, especially because he can't play CF. Beyond that, Jones adds an impact bat to the bench, which is something this team does need - Viciedo's presence or hypothetical emergence would have no impact on that whatsoever.

Here is what I would support for the team:

Main Move/Subsequent Move

Trade for Dunn/DFA Kotsay

Promote De Aza/DFA Jones (trade if you can magically get anything for him, maybe even a throw in a Dunn deal)

Teahen off DL/Send Frodo down to AAA

Start Dayan at 3B/Teahen to bench.

Suddenly, the bench becomes:

S - Omar Vizquel - 2B/SS/3B

L - Mark Teahen - 3B/1B/RF/LF/DH

L - Alejandro De Aza - OF/Pinch Runner

R - Ramon Castro - C

L - Adam Dunn - 1B/DH (starter most of time)

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
Here is what I would support for the team:

Main Move/Subsequent Move

Trade for Dunn/DFA Kotsay

Promote De Aza/DFA Jones (trade if you can magically get anything for him, maybe even a throw in a Dunn deal)

Teahen off DL/Send Frodo down to AAA

Start Dayan at 3B/Teahen to bench.

Suddenly, the bench becomes:

S - Omar Vizquel - 2B/SS/3B

L - Mark Teahen - 3B/1B/RF/LF/DH

L - Alejandro De Aza - OF/Pinch Runner

R - Ramon Castro - C

L - Adam Dunn - 1B/DH (starter most of time)

Dunn isnt being traded. Whats your next thought.

I was thinking about this one, would I rather have Teahen or Willie Bloomquist?

It was a tough call, but I chose Teahen simply because of his his 4/6th's of a season of pretty good success, although Bloomquist is undoubtedly more versatile, a better defender wherever you place him and can be used as a pinch runner.

In the past, players like Craig Grebeck or Pablo Ozuna filled that role more as how I envision it, or Vizquel today. He doesn't have to be Jose Oquendo and play every position, because Teahen doesn't really have one "plus" asset on the field, maybe he has a decent arm, but I would still rather stick Dayan Viciedo in RF than Mark Teahen because of his upside/potential.

So for 2011, Teahen for 25th man and a huge waste of salary, why not? KW has no other choice but to hope he catches fire and can deal him. I suppose the organization soured on Viciedo's defense, got impatient based on 2009 and KW (or HAHN) offered that stupid extension which has hamstrung us going forward....well, and we just don't DFA players like Linebrink, MacDougal or Teahen very often.

There's certainly no doubt that Viciedo has MUCH more value at 3B than 1B...no argument can be made there.

Balta, your quotes about only $10-15 million being available for next year, is that with Jenks off the team?

Losing Konerko, Castro, Vizquel, Andruw Jones, Nix, Kotsay, JJ Putz, AJ, Garcia, Jenks, Williams, yes?

Also, why the heck is Threets not up over Williams? Well, I haven't read it, but I'm sure the other thread already reiterates this point ad infinitum, yes?

Edited by caulfield12