If we do get back in this. . .

GreatScott82

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jose Lopez

Plugs either 2B or 3B nicely.

A superstar defensive third basemen and a + second basemen.

Offensively his approach is very comparable to Alexei (which isn't optimal) but is due to get hot (he has struggled in '10) and would fit nicely into a lineup full of streaky free swingers.

He turns 27 in November.

I was gonna post and then thought nah this will never fly but what the heck. What about Tyler Colvin from the Flubs? He seems to be adjusting very well to MLB pitching and has power and a good eye. He is not a K machine so far but is an outfielder. Maybe if we could look at him as a potential DH to spot start in the OF and 1st base? I don't think the Flubs would ever consider letting him go as he has 2 ARB years left after this one but you know they are going no where and Jim Hendry gets fleeced quite often. Do we try looking at him?

Actually he is a K machine but a .350 OBP.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
I was gonna post and then thought nah this will never fly but what the heck. What about Tyler Colvin from the Flubs? He seems to be adjusting very well to MLB pitching and has power and a good eye. He is not a K machine so far but is an outfielder. Maybe if we could look at him as a potential DH to spot start in the OF and 1st base? I don't think the Flubs would ever consider letting him go as he has 2 ARB years left after this one but you know they are going no where and Jim Hendry gets fleeced quite often. Do we try looking at him?

No. Never has been a very good prospect. He's under team control for another 5 years after this, and there's no point in buying high on a guy that might soon return to mediocrity. He's not a game changer, and he's not worth any price the Cubs would ask.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 06:56 PM)
Why can't Viciedo hit?

I'm not sure why there is the assumption Mark Freakin' Teahen has more upside offensive THIS season than Viciedo.

Maybe Viciedo can remain as hot as he has been in 60 games at AAA whilst at the major league level at the age of 21. Maybe. I wouldn't bet on it, though. I wouldn't bet on that for virtually any 21 year old prospect. Especially one who walked 8 times in 62 games. Is that going to improve in the majors?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 06:56 PM)
Maybe it's the assumption he will make one error per game at 3B? I don't know. It can't be worse than Teahen down there.

I assume he is worse than Teahen at 3rd, and Teahen has been bad. I haven't seen Viciedo, but obviously Kenny has. And having all of the information, Kenny decided to go out and pick up Teahen, and to 20 year old Viciedo, say, "forget it, move him to first he can't play 3rd every day."

No. Never has been a very good prospect. He's under team control for another 5 years after this, and there's no point in buying high on a guy that might soon return to mediocrity. He's not a game changer, and he's not worth any price the Cubs would ask.

OK fair enough, I didn't look at his minor league stats. He came to mind because of being a young power lefty but as you say he only has these 3 months of decent rookie production. He may flop soon. And the Flubs would probably ask (If they even parted with him) for something ridiculous.

I think someone else mentioned this but if the Rockies were to fall out in the next few weeks with TT out, Brad Hawpe would be a great fit and a guy i would love to get. Not sure what his contract status is and if the Rockies would ever being wiling to deal him. I will leave that to far more intelligent men to tell me how dumb this idea is.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:52 PM)
Jose Lopez

Plugs either 2B or 3B nicely.

A superstar defensive third basemen and a + second basemen.

Offensively his approach is very comparable to Alexei (which isn't optimal) but is due to get hot (he has struggled in '10) and would fit nicely into a lineup full of streaky free swingers.

He turns 27 in November.

Lopez can't play superstar defense...

He's alright, but nothing spectacular.

And he also doesn't like walks, which is a problem...

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 12:32 AM)
I think someone else mentioned this but if the Rockies were to fall out in the next few weeks with TT out, Brad Hawpe would be a great fit and a guy i would love to get. Not sure what his contract status is and if the Rockies would ever being wiling to deal him. I will leave that to far more intelligent men to tell me how dumb this idea is.

Hawpe has DH written all over him.

Although I'm afraid he won't be as good of a hitter without Coors.

Prince would be a huge get for KW and for this season, but it is really the anti-move for KW. Under contract for only one more year, AND a Boras client. I just cannot see KW wanting to part with the prospects necessary for such a player only for a year and a half rental

edit: is his contract only through this year, or next year too?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
I bet you there will be whispers on the internet of FatPrince to the Sox here in the next week or so. He makes alot of sense for both teams, we have some decent young players to trade.

Yeah, absolutely. The Brewers need arms, and badly. They also could use a catcher, unless they have high hopes for Kottaras. Dayan could theoretically take over for Prince.

I can see a Hudson/Flowers/Viciedo package being rumored.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
I bet you there will be whispers on the internet of FatPrince to the Sox here in the next week or so. He makes alot of sense for both teams, we have some decent young players to trade.

Agreed 100 percent. Do we have the bullets to acquire him though?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
Yeah, absolutely. The Brewers need arms, and badly. They also could use a catcher, unless they have high hopes for Kottaras. Dayan could theoretically take over for Prince.

I can see a Hudson/Flowers/Viciedo package being rumored.

Thats exactly the package that I was thinking. An upside bat, a possible power hitting catcher and a MLB ready arm who could be real good in the weak NL. Its a decent package and I know KW has talked about Prince before. You immediately stick him at DH in the middle of Konerko and Quentin. You could also split up Rios and Kong, but I wouldnt recommend that since Paulie is on fire and Rios is stealing bases to get into scoring position.

1. Pierre

2. Whoever

3. Rios

4. Konerko

5. Prince

6. Quentin

7. AJP

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)
Prince would be a huge get for KW and for this season, but it is really the anti-move for KW. Under contract for only one more year, AND a Boras client. I just cannot see KW wanting to part with the prospects necessary for such a player only for a year and a half rental

Certainly. It's a HUGE risk (no pun intended) and you'd be giving up a lot of what little non established in the major leagues young talent we have left for a short term fix. But if anybody has the balls to do that, it's KW.

But does it really, really make sense to trade Flowers, Hudson, Danks/Morel (etc.) for Prince Fielder?

I'm not even convinced it makes complete sense to trade Viciedo for Fielder, simply because 6 years of an affordable Viciedo might end up providing a lot more production than a season and one-half of Fielder, and then there's the fact that he will have to adjust to the AL pitching as well. (Yes, I'm well aware Fielder is a proven commodity...and that the trade would be much bigger than Viciedo for Fielder anyway.)

That's a riskier move than adding Rios and Peavy, because we lost a fifth starter/long reliever out of that, not 2 or 3 key future pegs on our roster.

Because if we can't keep Fielder long-term (or afford him, and we haven't exactly shown a proclivity for handing $100 million+ contracts out), then this franchise is really going to be in a huge hole, and it would also make it nearly impossible to keep Danks as well.

I just don't think you can do it, simply because Minnesota has a lot more bullets and they can trump any move we make...we have to fight it out this season and preserve out competitiveness for the future as well. This is a "go for broke," all cards and money in move, and it's just a questionable move because 1B/DH has proven to be a position where it's easier to find comparable production (unless it's someone like Pujols on a whole other plane of impact) and split up that money going to Fielder 3-4-5 ways.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
But does it really, really make sense to trade Flowers, Hudson, Danks/Morel (etc.) for Prince Fielder?

I'm not even convinced it makes complete sense to trade Viciedo for Fielder, simply because 6 years of an affordable Viciedo might end up providing a lot more production than a season and one-half of Fielder, and then there's the fact that he will have to adjust to the AL pitching as well. (Yes, I'm well aware Fielder is a proven commodity...and that the trade would be much bigger than Viciedo for Fielder anyway.)

That's a riskier move than adding Rios and Peavy, because we lost a fifth starter/long reliever out of that, not 2 or 3 key future pegs on our roster.

Because if we can't keep Fielder long-term (or afford him, and we haven't exactly shown a proclivity for handing $100 million+ contracts out), then this franchise is really going to be in a huge hole, and it would also make it nearly impossible to keep Danks as well.

If you don't think Flowers can be the guy, think this team would be a legit threat to do big things if Prince is added, and only think Hudson is a middle to lower rotation guy, I'd say yes. But those are all tough questions.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)

Good point. Even in the short-term, it's a bad idea. If JR's remarks about cutting payroll next year are true, the Sox need to hang onto these guys. Even if payroll is "only" cut down to $90M next year, you're looking at $15M available to fill about 8 vacant positions, minus the significant raise that Danks will get.

I could see maybe Morel for LaRoche, but I wouldn't give up much more than that. And I wouldn't want Fielder in the long-term either. People with his physique tend to not fare well as they approach 30.

If Flowers isn't the guy, if Beckham's not the guy, if Viciedo isn't legit....this franchise will be stalled at .500 or below for the next 2-3 seasons.

You can add Hudson as at least a 3 starter and Quentin being an 850-950 OPS DH/OF to the first three.

If Mitchell hadn't gotten injured and you were talking about the next Carl Crawford being plugged in for Pierre at the top of the line-up, I'd feel a whole lot more confident about our chances. Right now, we just don't know what we have with many key components of our future.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
Good point. Even in the short-term, it's a bad idea. If JR's remarks about cutting payroll next year are true, the Sox need to hang onto these guys. Even if payroll is "only" cut down to $90M next year, you're looking at $15M available to fill about 8 vacant positions, minus the significant raise that Danks will get.

I could see maybe Morel for LaRoche, but I wouldn't give up much more than that. And I wouldn't want Fielder in the long-term either. People with his physique tend to not fare well as they approach 30.

I'm fine with giving up Morel and they're going to ask for another piece, someone like Santeliz/Nathan Jones/Santos Rodriguez/Gilmore.

Just don't see how we can carry a light-hitting 3B in our ballpark unless he plays other-worldly defense. As a bench player, Morel doesn't do much for the team. He's not versatile enough. And I think the train has left the station with both CJ Retherford and Shelby III, leaving our best utility player for the moment as Lillibridge, unfortunately.

I just dont see KW trading 2 long term position players and a potential 2-3 type starting pitcher for 1.5 years of Fielder, especially with Boras as his agent. Be prepared for the Adam Dunn rumors to continue to heat up because it makes the most sense for the current state of the team.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
I just dont see KW trading 2 long term position players and a potential 2-3 type starting pitcher for 1.5 years of Fielder, especially with Boras as his agent. Be prepared for the Adam Dunn rumors to continue to heat up because it makes the most sense for the current state of the team.

Adam Dunn does not make the most sense for this team. They'd only have him for this season, they'll have to pay out the ass to get him (because he'll almost certainly be a Type A free agent), and they won't be able to resign him.

I think I'm going to trust the guy who has proven to be accurate before over pure conjecture and assume that the Sox are atleast talking internally about acquiring Prince Fielder.