If we do get back in this. . .

GreatScott82

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
Need I explain? Jesus Christ. The Royals already tried that. Mark Teahen is a s***ty outfielder too. And why the f*** would anyone expect - much less HOPE - for Mark Teahen to be in any of our future outfields? Have some f***ing expectations why don't you.

Teahen is owed $10M over the next two years, so he's not riding the pine. It's also unlikely that somebody trades for him, so I'd suggest that you get used to him being on the roster.

By the way, dropping the f- and s-bomb in every other sentence and acting like a cantankerous 12-year-old doesn't help prove your point.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
Viciedo also sucked balls last season. Agreed that he's looked nice over this very small sample size, but there's still little evidence that he's ready for the bigs. Numerous Sox prospects have raked for several years in the minors/college and have struggled big-time in Chicago. Throw Viciedo's age and your assesment that he won't hit RHP effectively into the equation and I see little reason to bring him up right now. Let him have a sustained year of success first. Given that he's unlikely to help this hapless team this year, his development should be paramount.

That said, letting him face major-league pitching when the rosters expand later in the year might not be a bad idea.

He started slow last year, in a setting where he was in a brand new country, not able to speak the native language, and one of the youngest guys in his league. He didn't "suck balls" last year by any extent of the imagination. Look at his numbers after May 1, and after June 1 last year, and tell me how bad he sucked again, even if you leave out the adjustment factors he had.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
Teahen is owed $10M over the next two years, so he's not riding the pine. It's also unlikely that somebody trades for him, so I'd suggest that you get used to him being on the roster.

By the way, dropping the f- and s-bomb in every other sentence and acting like a cantankerous 12-year-old doesn't help prove your point.

Yes he is, if we have better players. He may be on the team because of his salary but that doesn't mean he has to be on the field. And if the Sox try to sell Mark Teahen as an everyday cog in 2011 - especially as a godforsaken outfielder - then expect the Sox FO to catch worse hell than they did over the CF situation pre-Rios.

By the way, I'm full of piss and vinegar. Right now I'm actually punching something. It's a dog, actually. I'm beating the s*** out of my dog as I'm typing this. Poor doggie. :(

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
He may be on the team because of his salary but that doesn't mean he has to be on the field.

So your saying DH work with the occasional 3B every now and then? Works for me.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)

Yeah, a little first base, a touch of third, some DH work, pinch hitting duties - you know, the stuff that made posters here want the guy in the first place back when he was with the Royals. Teahen the player isn't the problem, it's his role and his contract.

But yeah, the Sox aren't anywhere near the point where they're forced to play the guy everyday because of his deal. His contract may be horrible, but he's not Travis Hafner or anything like that.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
Yes he is, if we have better players. He may be on the team because of his salary but that doesn't mean he has to be on the field.

The Sox are not going to have a $4.5M utility player on their roster next year. Especially one year after Kenny gave him a very generous contract extension. If he isn't an every-day player, he'll get dealt.

And if the Sox try to sell Mark Teahen as an everyday cog in 2011 - especially as a godforsaken outfielder - then expect the Sox FO to catch worse hell than they did over the CF situation pre-Rios.

I fail to see how Teahen is a massive defensive downgrade from Quentin. Moving Quentin to DH may even be a necessity, out of financial and health reasons. And the Sox FO has a long history of not caring what you or I think.

I don't get the Teahen hatred. He's obviously a below-average player, but he's versatile, he's a left-handed bat with some gap power, and his OPS is decent enough to hit in the bottom third of most lineups. He isn't Dewayne Wise, Josh Fields, or Jayson Nix. Kenny obviously intends to use him as a "bridge" to the next generation of outfielders (D2 and whoever else makes it up). He's not going anywhere any time soon. The best that we can hope for is that Teahen is 7th or 8th on the team in OPS next year, instead of 4th.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)

He's got some value in a utlity role like your proposing, assuming you have several right-handed hitters at the corners, just not enough to warrent his contract. Unfortunately, I'm worried Kenny will peg him as a regular.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
He's got some value in a utlity role like your proposing, assuming you have several right-handed hitters at the corners, just not enough to warrent his contract. Unfortunately, I'm worried Kenny will peg him as a regular.

I actually like him used more than just utility, but I think he should play less 3B and more DH with his bat, though I don't know about Quentin too. (mostly cause his defense in RF hasn't been very good also) I like Teahen, and think he gets a bad rap at times... reminds me of the Swisher hate actually.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
I actually like him used more than just utility, but I think he should play less 3B and more DH with his bat, though I don't know about Quentin too. (mostly cause his defense in RF hasn't been very good also) I like Teahen, and think he gets a bad rap at times... reminds me of the Swisher hate actually.

Teahen at DH isn't a terrible idea, but the problem with that is that DH is probably the easiest position to fill via free agency. And the Sox have the added problem of Quentin being made of glass.

If Viciedo is able to play 3B competently (and I have no idea if he can), moving Teahen to 1B might be an option.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
Adam Dunn should be the #1 target for Kenny Williams. He's an absolutely perfect fit. I've wanted him on the Sox for a while.

Yep, it'd be nice to have him at DH for the next 3-4 years. I just hope that Kenny will have enough financial flexibility to outbid the other teams.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
Adam Dunn should be the #1 target for Kenny Williams. He's an absolutely perfect fit. I've wanted him on the Sox for a while.

Yes, yes. More of this. Adam LaRoche wouldn't be bad either. He would cost less and wouldn't kill you to play 1B to rest Paulie and have him play DH.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
The Sox are not going to have a $4.5M utility player on their roster next year. Especially one year after Kenny gave him a very generous contract extension. If he isn't an every-day player, he'll get dealt.

And how can you say that on a night when our $5M mop-up guy damn near made a blowout interesting.

And didn't you just say in your other post that we couldn't deal him? Because I agree. It'll take us eating lots of salary (very atypical of the Sox) or taking on an even worse deal (ditto) or throwing in a sweetener (also unlikely) to get a big money team to take that deal on. So I don't see what any of that means. His deal was a mistake and now it's a sunk cost.

I fail to see how Teahen is a massive defensive downgrade from Quentin. Moving Quentin to DH may even be a necessity, out of financial and health reasons. And the Sox FO has a long history of not caring what you or I think.

Yeah, we might as well just rename Teahen Lindsey Lohan in that scenario given all the wild and crazy adventures he'll go on chasing down balls.

Quentin to DH though isn't a problem at all for me, but let's put a player out there who is actually good enough to move him there. Teahen is not that guy.

I don't get the Teahen hatred. He's obviously a below-average player, but he's versatile, he's a left-handed bat with some gap power, and his OPS is decent enough to hit in the bottom third of most lineups. He isn't Dewayne Wise, Josh Fields, or Jayson Nix. Kenny obviously intends to use him as a "bridge" to the next generation of outfielders (D2 and whoever else makes it up). He's not going anywhere any time soon. The best that we can hope for is that Teahen is 7th or 8th on the team in OPS next year, instead of 4th.

No, he's not any of those guys. But I wish he was so we could cut him and not be on the hook for the next two years of his deal. If you mean to celebrate Teahen by comparing him to those guys though, let's at least acknowledge Wise as a good defender for his positions and Nix actually versatile enough to handle IF duties despite his tendencies to sleep on throws to first base. Teahen doesn't do much of anything other than hit decently sometimes as a lefty. He's fine as a UT guy but it's not like Mark Teahen is a leader of men in that role.

And wait a minute here, you're saying Kenny obviously intends to use Teahen as a bridge to the next generation of outfielders?!?! What?! No, Kenny intended on getting a league average all-around 3B that he'd be able to move if he had to, and one that may have turned into a possible bargain. Turns out he f***ed the hell up, now he has to do something with this bad contract. The solution isn't to turn this thing into a domino effect that ruins other aspects of the team as well. Use Teahen in his role, admit your mistake, try to fix it, and move on improving the baseball team.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)

I agree he's gotten a bad rap, but he's not a plus offensive player. The only position where his bat might be acceptable is at 3B, but unfortunately his defense has not been up to par there. I'm not completely giving up on the guy at 3B just yet, but he's definitely not an everyday 1B or DH. That's not to say he wouldn't be a better DH option than Mark Kotsay right now, I just hope for god's sake we find a better DH and 1B option for next season.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:12 AM)
In a perfect world:

LF Pierre

2B Beckham

CF Rios

DH Dunn

1B Konerko

RF Quentin

C Pierzynski

SS Ramirez

3B Vizquel/Viciedo

that's completely realistic. Someone crunched the numbers the other day and they've set it up so most of Strausburgh's (sp?) starts will be at home and he'll basically pay for his bonus in about 10 home starts, so they don't have to attempt to keep fans happy by keeping Dunn around or any other similar charade.... also, he'll probably be very reasonable to obtain.

Dunn would be great, but I don't think he's going to be as easy to get as you think. The Nats apparently have tons of money to throw around, and they want to contend the next two years. Plus Dunn has said he doesn't want to leave. Also, who do we give up? It would take the precious few prospects we have.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:29 AM)
Dunn would be great, but I don't think he's going to be as easy to get as you think. The Nats apparently have tons of money to throw around, and they want to contend the next two years. Plus Dunn has said he doesn't want to leave. Also, who do we give up? It would take the precious few prospects we have.

Dunn could always resign with the Nats if he has such a hard-on for them, if a deal goes down for Dunn to any team it would be initially a rent-a-player type deal, Dunn's not a type of player where renegotiation windows are put in before trades...

I don't think it will take a ton to get him, bats move basically every trade deadline and I can't think of any of Dunn's level, which is good, but great, that were moved for top tier prospects. Angels and a few of the NL West teams would likely be suitors as well, but it's not like he would be the only bat on the market.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:12 AM)
In a perfect world:

LF Pierre

2B Beckham

CF Rios

DH Dunn

1B Konerko

RF Quentin

C Pierzynski

SS Ramirez

3B Vizquel/Viciedo

Switch Beckham with Ramirez and you have yourself a hell of a lineup. Seriously, if we get Dunn we go from Division contender to W.S. contender! He's the perfect fit!!

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
He was our 4th best hitter on the season when he went down. Nobody has overtaken him since, and Jones has done everything in his power to make Teahen 3rd best. He would have done it already if he played more than twice a week. By your logic, you should not want to see anyone put on a Sox uniform other than Rios or Konerko.

Moreover, Teahen has been a very good hitter versus RHP in his career. Although he has improved vs. LHP in the last couple of seasons, prior to that he was always a much better hitter vs. RHP.

Here are his career #s vs RHP: AVG .274 OBP .341 SLG .428 OPS .769

That would be acceptable at DH, if the Sox can't acquire a LH slugger for the second half.

Teahen could platoon with Jones, who should be in the outfield when he does play.

Let Omar play 3RD and bat in the #2 hole. Give Vizquel a couple of days off a week, and play someone in his place at 3RD, who can field. That would rule out Viciedo.

Perhaps they can give Lillibridge a shot, although he really is a pretty awful hitter.

Kotsay should be a LH pinch hitter, off the bench. That is a role in which he really has been exceptional, in his career.

However, his opportunities would certainly be limited the rest of the way, now that inter league play is almost finished.

There aren't many RH hitters on this team for whom you would pinch hit Kotsay.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
And how can you say that on a night when our $5M mop-up guy damn near made a blowout interesting.

So you're comparing Teahen to a relief pitcher who's posted a freaking 1.60 WHIP over the past year and a half? GMAFB. Why don't you just go ahead and compare him to Lillibridge or Andy Gonzalez while you're at it.

Teahen had a .340 OBP and was fourth on the team in OPS when he got hurt. Unlike Linebrink, he's actually halfway decent at something. Until he hits like Jayson Nix or Kenny builds a Yankees-like lineup, Teahen isn't going to be a utility player.

And didn't you just say in your other post that we couldn't deal him? Because I agree. It'll take us eating lots of salary (very atypical of the Sox) or taking on an even worse deal (ditto) or throwing in a sweetener (also unlikely) to get a big money team to take that deal on. So I don't see what any of that means. His deal was a mistake and now it's a sunk cost.

Agreed that the contract extension was a bad idea.

Quentin to DH though isn't a problem at all for me, but let's put a player out there who is actually good enough to move him there. Teahen is not that guy.

Again, I fail to see how Quentin is that much better defensively than Teahen. But if you're adamantly against this, I wouldn't have a problem with him playing 1B.

No, he's not any of those guys. But I wish he was so we could cut him and not be on the hook for the next two years of his deal. If you mean to celebrate Teahen by comparing him to those guys though, let's at least acknowledge Wise as a good defender for his positions and Nix actually versatile enough to handle IF duties despite his tendencies to sleep on throws to first base.

Neither Wise nor Nix could hit for crap, and offense is exactly what the Sox need right now. Nix was an error machine on the left side of the infield, so I don't know why you're celebrating his "versatility."

And wait a minute here, you're saying Kenny obviously intends to use Teahen as a bridge to the next generation of outfielders?!?! What?! No, Kenny intended on getting a league average all-around 3B that he'd be able to move if he had to, and one that may have turned into a possible bargain.

Teahen is not a "league average" 3B. He's average-to-below-average offensively and below-average defensively, making him an overall below-average player. Like Pierre, he's a stop-gap until something better comes up through the farm system or free agency. While his contract is not a good one, it's not precluding Kenny from making any moves. And as I have said here numerous times, Teahen isn't the reason that the Sox needed to go on a tear against bad NL teams to eclipse .500. If you're looking to be angry at somebody, there are players making a lot more than Teahen who are playing a lot worse.

Edited by WCSox

WC, I don't even know what you're arguing at this point.

1. You said Teahen wouldn't be a UT player because he's paid like a starter. I refuted that by asking why, if that's the case, do we have a LR who is paid like an elite setup man? Just because a player's salary keeps him on the 25-man roster doesn't mean he's going to occupy a major role.

2. For f***s sake WC, hitting .255/.340/.387 and playing some of the worst defense you'll ever see played by a regular in the Major Leagues is NOT a good thing and is NOT indicative of a starting baseball player. Your brilliant solution is to take that .255/.340/.387 line and send it over to 1B/DH/LF/RF where it ***SUCKS EVEN HARDER*** and then attempt to justify it with his contract, but then turn around and make it sound like he earned it. WTF are you even talking about?

3. Dude, CQ isn't some gold glover out there in RF but if you really think Teahen is comparable to CQ in the OF you're nuts. How do I know this? By watching Teahen play out there when he was with the Royals. The guy plays the OF like dudes are hitting whiffle balls out there. He looks like a cat chasing string. He's an uncoordinated hack who would make people long for the days of Rob Mackowiak.

4. Nix was an error machine but at least he had hands! At least he could get the damn ball before he threw it away! Teahen is like an All-Star defensive player in a parallel universe somewhere where everyone who sucks at something is great at it over there. In that world I must be great at getting through to people since apparently I suck so hard at it here.

5. Please read what I wrote. You made the brilliant statement that "obviously" our GM intends on using Teahen as a bridge to our outfielders of the future. I however called bulls*** and stated that Kenny intended on getting a league average 3B in Teahen and it turned out to be a mistake. Kenny never intended on the guy being a damn OF, nor does he intend on turning the guy into one. If Kenny really thought Teahen was a good OF he wouldn't have poo-pooed the idea of Teahen playing anywhere else but third before ST even started. Kenny and his team made an error in the scouting department and now they're paying for it. But paying for that mistake doesn't mean running out a UT everyday instead of putting someone better out there. Jordan Danks could strike out 700 times a game and still be a zillion times better OF than Teahen will ever be, and D2 would be at the MLB minimum, so I see no reason why the Sox would be in a position where they would be forced, or would even want to, send Mark Teahen out there in the clown car for a few laughs every night.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
3. Dude, CQ isn't some gold glover out there in RF but if you really think Teahen is comparable to CQ in the OF you're nuts. How do I know this? By watching Teahen play out there when he was with the Royals. The guy plays the OF like dudes are hitting whiffle balls out there. He looks like a cat chasing string. He's an uncoordinated hack who would make people long for the days of Rob Mackowiak.

Going to the numbers, Teahen's career UZR/150 in RF is -2.0 and in LF is 5.9 (only 31 career games in LF).

Of course, his numbers at 3b this year are down from his career numbers significantly as well, so either he could be worse now than he was beforehand on defense, or there could be some statistical blips going on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
Going to the numbers, Teahen's career UZR/150 in RF is -2.0 and in LF is 5.9 (only 31 career games in LF).

Of course, his numbers at 3b this year are down from his career numbers significantly as well, so either he could be worse now than he was beforehand on defense, or there could be some statistical blips going on.

Just go back and watch some of those Royals games. Or ask Caulfield, he was watching them. The guy turns easy plays into thrilling adventures, and to put a guy like that out there, you need a bat a hell of a lot better than one with a career .268/.331/.417 line. I thought we had standards for f***s sake.