Chris Sale signs for a bargain; expected in majors this year

Eminor3rd

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 05:09 AM)
His present arm motion will have him out of the league within 5 years.

Someone's drinking the Project Prospect Kool-Aid. Not nearly enough is known on the subject to make a statement like this. Sure he could be out of the league in 5 years, but so could any pitching prospect.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)
Someone's drinking the Project Prospect Kool-Aid. Not nearly enough is known on the subject to make a statement like this. Sure he could be out of the league in 5 years, but so could any pitching prospect.

I was reading all the AAP stuff and I read ptac's statement, who I full trust in mattrs of pitching movement who said that there would be significant wear with that motion.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
I was reading all the AAP stuff and I read ptac's statement, who I full trust in mattrs of pitching movement who said that there would be significant wear with that motion.

He also said Strasburgs was much, much worse. Like Jeff said, you really could say that to most prospects even with the "perfect mechanics" right Mark Prior? ;)

This is quite exciting. Viciedo, Hudson, Flowers, and now Sale all on the cusp of the Majors.

Sal can be MLB starting rotation material in a year. But one question. Wasn´t Poreda absolutely rated as can´t miss in the draft? He has really bombed after the trade but he only had his FB I guess. Sale has the FB and 2 plus pitches from what I hear. And him working with Coop can´t be bad.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
Sal can be MLB starting rotation material in a year. But one question. Wasn´t Poreda absolutely rated as can´t miss in the draft? He has really bombed after the trade but he only had his FB I guess. Sale has the FB and 2 plus pitches from what I hear. And him working with Coop can´t be bad.

Poreda was a project with a plus fastball and no breaking pitches. He was very raw coming out of school.

Poreda was a project with a plus fastball and no breaking pitches. He was very raw coming out of school.

Yeah TB, I realized that as I typed. Lot of debate on his mechanics from the 3/4 arm slot. If he sitched from 3/4 to full arm slot would that improve or reduce his chance of future injury?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)
He also said Strasburgs was much, much worse. Like Jeff said, you really could say that to most prospects even with the "perfect mechanics" right Mark Prior? ;)

I think they could be right about Strasburg. Every time I watch him pitch, visions of Kerry Wood circa 1998 dance in my head.

The Hell with August. Bring him up!!!!!!

Seriously, If everyone is worried about his motion, just let him be the LOOGY for the rest of this year.

That would not give him enough innings to damage his arm, no matter how bad his mechanics might be.

The funky motion might make him really hard to hit, if he isn't over exposed.

He's supposed to have really good control, and two plus Big League pitches. That just might work as a LOOGY.

He wanted a chance to get to the Majors this year, so I say give it to him. Apparently, he has plenty of self confidence.

If he flops, then there is always "plan B". Let him go down to the Minors and prepare to be a starter next year.

The Sox will have fulfilled their obligation to give him a shot at the Majors this year.

It looks like a win - win situation to me.

Strasburg's is much worse. He will either blow his elbow out, or not. Nobody really knows at this point since so many factors come into play.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 07:00 AM)
The Hell with August. Bring him up!!!!!!

Seriously, If everyone is worried about his motion, just let him be the LOOGY for the rest of this year.

That would not give him enough innings to damage his arm, no matter how bad his mechanics might be.

The funky motion might make him really hard to hit, if he isn't over exposed.

He's supposed to have really good control, and two plus Big League pitches. That just might work as a LOOGY.

He wanted a chance to get to the Majors this year, so I say give it to him. Apparently, he has plenty of self confidence.

If he flops, then there is always "plan B". Let him go down to the Minors and prepare to be a starter next year.

The Sox will have fulfilled their obligation to give him a shot at the Majors this year.

It looks like a win - win situation to me.

I'm not sure how smart it would be to let a kid like that come to the big show without paying his dues in the minor leagues first. Plus the Sox aren't dying right now for left handed pitching. Getting another left hand arm isn't what would put us over the top right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
Strasburg's is much worse. He will either blow his elbow out, or not. Nobody really knows at this point since so many factors come into play.

That's quite the large limb you went out on there. :lol:

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
I'm not sure how smart it would be to let a kid like that come to the big show without paying his dues in the minor leagues first. Plus the Sox aren't dying right now for left handed pitching. Getting another left hand arm isn't what would put us over the top right now.

Randy Williams says hi.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
That's quite the large limb you went out on there. :lol:

Randy Williams says hi.

I didn't say that Randy Williams didn't suck. But Randy Williams isn't the only reason that the Sox got off to such a bad start. Has he cost us a lot of games? I haven't looked it up but it seems to me that he only been in during garbage time.

I just don't wanna ruin the kid by bringing him up too soon. Let him marinate a lil bit in the minors and let's concentrate on getting some more hitting.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
I didn't say that Randy Williams didn't suck. But Randy Williams isn't the only reason that the Sox got off to such a bad start. Has he cost us a lot of games? I haven't looked it up but it seems to me that he only been in during garbage time.

He had the most appearances for the first 6-8 weeks of the season and was continually put into important situations early on.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 02:32 AM)
I heard today he told Royals at #4 he would want to sign for way over slot, making a lot of teams skip on him because White Sox promised him majors in August.

Any truth to this?

Doesn't ring with the Sox desire not to rush people. But, then again I guess we did with GB and it's now debatable that that was the right decision

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
He had the most appearances for the first 6-8 weeks of the season and was continually put into important situations early on.

And he blew it and cost the Sox some wins? Eh... I still say I don't wanna ruin Sale's growth. Maybe they should try Threets first.

Mark Prior had a similar motion. His mechanics were perfect as are Sale's for the philosophy they were taught.

This is why Prior's problems were so ambiguous. He didn't have a specific injury. His shoulder just got loose and was sore and painful all the time.

I'm not saying Sale will definately get injured soon and he won't have a career. Some pitchers can pitch like this without significant problems. Nothing is sure about the picting motion, poroved by the vast number of theories and philiosophies out there. Sale's motion probably adds velocity and sipn to his pitches, so he may need it. I am saying the probability of injury with that motion is higher due to the stress at the shoulder. It may mainifest itself at the elbow but the shoulder is more likely.