Sox vs Atlanta 6-22 game thread 7:10 first pitch

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
Well this one is on Kenny. Bad time to bring him up.

I don't blame Ozzie for shielding the kid a bit.

I can't blame KW for dumping Nix, but if he's bringing him up, 1 game in 5 days is unacceptable even with an offday. He could have had nearly another week in Charlotte for that time.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
I can't blame KW for dumping Nix, but if he's bringing him up, 1 game in 5 days is unacceptable even with an offday. He could have had nearly another week in Charlotte for that time.

I agree, but one small consolation prize is the availability of Viciedo to pinch hit and guard against a lefty reliever late in the game, assuming the Atlanta starters are not working on complete game shutouts against this paltry lineup.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
I agree, but one small consolation prize is the availability of Viciedo to pinch hit and guard against a lefty reliever late in the game, assuming the Atlanta starters are not working on complete game shutouts against this paltry lineup.

But will they be tough relievers ? :P

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
I can understand not playing him every game - but I think 50% would be reasonable. No reason why he can't be worked in part at 3rd, a few games at DH, to get ~60% playing time. Playing him 1 out of 5 games is idiotic.

Technically it's 1 out of 4 games I think, right? Offday yesterday, which was just another day he could have been playing in Charlotte.

It'll be one out of 5 when he sits on the bench against Hudson tomorrow.

So from what I can tell out of our next 4 series (ATL, CHC, KCR, TEX) we'll face a grand total of 2 lefties: Ted Lilly (3.42 ERA, 1.086 WHIP) and CJ Wilson (3.41 ERA, 1.238 WHIP). After that we have LAA and KCR before the break, that's a bit far in the future to project probable starters but the 2 teams have 3 lefty starters combined: Saunders, Kazmir and Chen. That's 2 lefties in the next 12 games and a possibility of 5 in the next 19.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
So from what I can tell out of our next 4 series (ATL, CHC, KCR, TEX) we'll face a grand total of 2 lefties: Ted Lilly (3.42 ERA, 1.086 WHIP) and CJ Wilson (3.41 ERA, 1.238 WHIP). After that we have LAA and KCR before the break, that's a bit far in the future to project probable starters but the 2 teams have 3 lefty starters combined: Saunders, Kazmir and Chen. That's 2 lefties in the next 12 games and a possibility of 5 in the next 19.

I don't mind him facing righties but I have no problem sitting him against the best righties in the game right now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Thing is, you can't play Viciedo tomorrow with Buehrle on the mound. He'll probably play Thursday against D. Lowe.

Not only is Buehrle on the mound but so is Tim Hudson. Then the question becomes: how tough do you consider Dempster and Zambrano? Lerew, Bannister and Greinke?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Thing is, you can't play Viciedo tomorrow with Buehrle on the mound. He'll probably play Thursday against D. Lowe.

He should have a good feel for the game at this level with the amount of playing time he's getting. Excellent decision to call him up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
Not only is Buehrle on the mound but so is Tim Hudson. Then the question becomes: how tough do you consider Dempster and Zambrano? Lerew, Bannister and Greinke?

Yeah, not a chance he should be allowd to face Dempster or Greinke.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
Mark Kotsay is batting .205 or something like that....not asking Dayan to do to much if he DH's to hit .205

Kotsay and Jones should not DH......ever

You got that right! I mean seriously if Kotsay can keep batting 5th or 3rd why can't DV get some PT at DH ?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
Is anyone really suprised that Ozzie is doing this to Viciedo? We all know that he shouldn't have been brought up if he wasn't going to get regular playing time, but KW had to know what he was getting into when he made the move.

Yes, Kenny did have to know. Him and Ozzie had a meeting to discuss Viciedo's playing time. Maybe, this is the plan. Afterall, it was Kenny's decision to call him up.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
Are Viciedo's splits vs. RHP and LHP that drastic of a difference? I'd look myself but I'm not sure where to find ml splits

LHP: .364/.426/.800/1.226 4/11 BB:SO ratio (55 ABs)

RHP: .268/.298/.443/.741 4/41 BB:SO ratio (183 ABs)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
LHP: .364/.426/.800/1.226 4/11 BB:SO ratio (55 ABs)

RHP: .268/.298/.443/.741 4/41 BB:SO ratio (183 ABs)

Thanks.... while his numbers against RHP look terrible compared to those ridiculous LHP numbers, his OPS against righties beats Kotsay's .706 OPS vs RHP.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
Thanks.... while his numbers against RHP look terrible compared to those ridiculous LHP numbers, his OPS against righties beats Kotsay's .706 OPS vs RHP

Well not really since you have to consider DV was facing minor leaguers and Kotsay major leaguers.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
Well not really since you have to consider DV was facing minor leaguers and Kotsay major leaguers.

However, when you're calling up a 21 year old, you also take into account his ability to improve on those numbers with time and the necessity of getting him those at bats to give him the chance to do so.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
From a betting website:

Tommy Hanson, Atlanta Braves (7-3, 3.38 ERA)

If you're going to quote something from a website, you need to link it.

Thanks.

Not if they stole it in the first place.

The Braves young stud is rolling, winning four of his last six starts, boasting an ERA just north of 2.00 and having not tasted defeat since the middle of May. Hanson is coming off a seven-inning showing against the Tampa Bay Rays, allowing just three hits and striking out six batters in a 6-2 victory. He’s 4-1 with a 2.34 ERA away from home this season.