Summer Drinks

Texsox

The cocktail thread seems to have hit a wall and has become a jumbo thread so I figured I would start a new thread just for summer drinks. I just picked up Beachbum Berry's Remixed, a new edition of his first two tiki drink recipe books and can't wait to start mixing. First I have to leave this youth camp where alcohol is not allowed :lol:

On my one night off where we do not have any youth in camp, I have given up on bar margaritas, their challenge seems to be how to make one for $1 not how to make one I'd actually enjoy drinking. Gin (Beefeater) and tonic has been refreshing, I haven't found a beer that works for me this summer, but will keep trying. I have the double challenge of trying yo lose twenty pounds, so I can't have too many cocktails, which makes the challenge of making each one count important.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I've been in London, all the girls here drink nothing but Pimms it seems.

Basically it's gin, you mix it with lemonade and put all sorts of fruit into it. It's actually quite nice, quite sweet, but I'll stick to Beer I think going forward.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)

Basically it's gin, you mix it with lemonade and put all sorts of fruit into it. It's actually quite nice, quite sweet, but I'll stick to Beer I think going forward.

Whenever I was in England before, it always seemed like everyone drank those fruity alco-pops, even guys. Those things are so sweet too, I can barely finish one.

I'm a sucker for the Leinie's Summer Shandy.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)

It was a popular drink mixed with soda at the polo games. Less sweet and decent. I had forgotten about Pimms.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
Whenever I was in England before, it always seemed like everyone drank those fruity alco-pops, even guys. Those things are so sweet too, I can barely finish one.

Yeah those alco-pops are still pretty big here from what I've seen.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)

I've been mixing some of the classic tiki drinks, and despite the fruit juices, the better ones are balanced with the alcohol and very tasty with some depth of flavor. Sadly, we lost the art of mixing drinks.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
I've been mixing some of the classic tiki drinks, and despite the fruit juices, the better ones are balanced with the alcohol and very tasty with some depth of flavor. Sadly, we lost the art of mixing drinks.

Good job picking up Beachbum Remixed, it's a great addition to his collection with some awesome new recipes. A warning though — for all of the drinks that call for honey mix (1:1 honey and water), you either need to double the amount called for or use the given amount but use straight honey. I'm the biggest Jeff Berry fan there is, but comparing the old Grog Log and Intoxica recipes to the ones rewritten in Remixed, he got those amounts wrong by switching from straight honey to 1:1 syrup but forgetting to double the amounts.

I think an absolutely fabulous new recipe in Remixed is Steve Remsberg's Planters Punch. A hardcore drink with a full four ounces of Coruba, but one of the best planters interpretations I've ever had. Remsberg has probably the world's best private rum collection and says he spent 20 years experimenting with planters variations before settling on this one, and it's an absolute winner.

If you can find Scarlet Ibis Trinidad rum, there is a Remixed cocktail from NYC's Death & Co. bar that uses Ibis and muddled cardamom pods that is outstanding. And if you can find good, fresh white grapefruit juice (pretty hard this time of year), the Reverb Crash in Remixed is quite good.

Lately I've been putting a dent in my bottle of Pisco Capel mixing up Pisco Sours, a classic drink for those of you who aren't scared of egg whites as a drink ingredient:

• 2 oz pisco brandy

• 1 oz fresh lime juice

• 3/4 oz 2:1 simple syrup

• 1 medium egg white (@ 3/4 oz pasteurized All

Whites for the squeamish)

• Dash Angostura bitters

Shake well first without ice to emulsify, then again with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, add dash Ango. When I'm mixing for friends I add the Ango with an eyedropper and then swirl it on the foamy top of the drink for a nice visual. naturally the ingrates forget to leave me a tip. :)

Tonight after work I'm going to pick up a bottle of Canton ginger liqueur and some mango puree and blend up some Ginger and Mary Anne's. It doesn't get much more summery than that.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
Call me a pansy, but I've been making frozen mango margaritas lately.

Frozen chunks of mango, ice, a few teaspoons of sugar, a healthy amount of tequila, some Grand Marnier, some water, and blend.

Yummmmm.

That doesn't sound bad at all. When I do the frozen mango-ritas I like to use agave nectar instead of sugar and also add an ounce of Old Sint Marteen mango liqueur. Yumm!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
The key phrase.

Indeed. And as easy as it is to make a good one, it's amazing how many crappy mojitos get served up at bars. Caipirihnas are a thing of beauty. CanofCorn, what is your Cachaça of choice??

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
Oberon or Blue Moon for beer.

Jack Daniels/Hennessey/Courvousier + Coca Cola is great year round.

I've been drinking a lot of "Eclipse's" (I'm sure Jim has 7 different names for this drink). It's just Blue Moon and Guiness combined. I find it allows me to not get tired of the fruity Blue Moon as quickly since I have some Guiness in there to balance it out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
I've been drinking a lot of "Eclipse's" (I'm sure Jim has 7 different names for this drink). It's just Blue Moon and Guiness combined. I find it allows me to not get tired of the fruity Blue Moon as quickly since I have some Guiness in there to balance it out.

Any names I'd have for that Blue Moon/Guinness combination cannot be repeated in polite company.

:D

I actually don't totally hate Blue Moon, there are just way better witbier options out there that are easy to come by. Blue Moon beats the heck out of the Gawdawful AB ShockTop though. Blech.

I've rarely encountered a Bell's product that isn't top notch, and Oberon is no exception. Lighter bodied than what I usually reach for but one of the better American wheats I'd say.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
Any names I'd have for that Blue Moon/Guinness combination cannot be repeated in polite company.

:D

I actually don't totally hate Blue Moon, there are just way better witbier options out there that are easy to come by. Blue Moon beats the heck out of the Gawdawful AB ShockTop though. Blech.

I've rarely encountered a Bell's product that isn't top notch, and Oberon is no exception. Lighter bodied than what I usually reach for but one of the better American wheats I'd say.

Ahh yes, I don't claim to be a sophisticated drinker.

I drink to get drunk :)

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks Summer Shandy sucks?

If you like Rum and Coke try the Captain Morgan Lime Bite.

If you are a Captain Morgan person, give Sailor Jerry a spin in your next rum and Coke or Cuba Libre if you haven't yet. It really is a much tastier spiced rum than any of the Morgan stuff. Two other very good spiced rums (a rum style that is awful for the most part) are Kraken and Old New Orleans. Kraken is easy to find and it has about the coolest label ever, while ONO is almost impossible to come by outside of New Orleans.

a maybe-weird drink i picked up somewhere along the way that i really enjoy when relaxing in hot weather:

bad apple

strongbow cider

2 oz bourbon (i've used maker's, but there may be a better match for strongbow)

ice

that's it. i also like oberon and summer shandy that time of year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
Oberon or Blue Moon for beer.

Jack Daniels/Hennessey/Courvousier + Coca Cola is great year round.

I love Blue Moon, can't get enough of that stuff.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
a maybe-weird drink i picked up somewhere along the way that i really enjoy when relaxing in hot weather:

bad apple

strongbow cider

2 oz bourbon (i've used maker's, but there may be a better match for strongbow)

ice

that's it. i also like oberon and summer shandy that time of year.

That sounds like a winner. A nice twist on a boilermaker. I bet the same drink with Laird's Applejack instead of bourbon would work nicely as well.

So many great drinks, so few liver cells.

:lolhitting