6/22 Games

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:11 AM)
How do I keep track of what's going on in Bristol?

Box score in the link or you can listen here:

http://asx.aicmail.net/mlb/flash/app_bristol_white_sox.html

*EDIT: Radio link doesn't seem to be working.

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
Box score in the link or you can listen here:

http://asx.aicmail.net/mlb/flash/app_bristol_white_sox.html

*EDIT: Radio link doesn't seem to be working.

That's not going to be up until their next home stand .BUMMER!!!

I'll check out the box score ...Thank You!

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
Woo go Blackwood :wub: . In all seriousness Im hoping Upchurch and Holmberg both have huge seasons, with Sale on the fast track and Hudson on the verge of making the bigs... those 2 could be our only legit SP prospects in the system.

I second that!! ;)

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
Isn't he just the best!

Not hardly! He's good behind the plate ..but his batting needs work. He smashes the ball ..when he actually hits it!! He strikes out a lot, but hits more HR's than other guys when he does make contact! :)

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
Not hardly! He's good behind the plate ..but his batting needs work. He smashes the ball ..when he actually hits it!! He strikes out a lot, but hits more HR's than other guys when he does make contact! :)

So does that mean he has a slow swing or just has trouble seeing breaking pitches, or what?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
So does that mean he has a slow swing or just has trouble seeing breaking pitches, or what?

It means that Chase was called "Oscar" by his college coach (Greg Guilliams) because he often swings at garbage!!

oscar.jpg

I honestly don't know what his problem is!! LOL

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
lol aww, well sounds like he has the tools to be a decent player if he can see the ball better.... but I have no clue I have trouble hitting a softball :crying

Don't worry ..I'm not that good either!! I can hit a ball pretty well, but I often hit them foul to left field ...it's not cute!

Jon Gilmore won the Carolina/California League HR Derby:

Gilmore rules the Carolina/Cal Derby

06/22/2010 7:24 PM ET

By Pete Kerzel / Special to MLB.com

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. -- Winston-Salem third baseman Jon Gilmore won the Home Run Derby before the 15th annual Carolina/California League All-Star Game on Tuesday night, benefiting from a fortuitous shift in the winds at BB&T Coastal Field to defeat High Desert's Rich Poythress.

With winds blowing in from center field for most of the competition, hitters had trouble getting balls through the gusts to center and right. Shortly before Gilmore hit in the finals, the breeze began blowing from right field toward home plate, helping the right-handed hitter who had only three homers in 301 at-bats for the Dash in the first half.

"I went up against a lot of great guys. Fortunately, the wind started blowing in from the right, so I had a pretty good chance from the right side of the plate, trying to hit it out to left," Gilmore said.

Poythress, a first baseman who hit 14 homers and drove in a California League-high 65 runs in the first half, swung first in the finals. Poythress hit three longballs, twice clearing the left-field stands, before making the requisite five outs.

Gilmore stepped in and hit two home runs before sending a long fly to the top of the wall in left field that was ruled to have stayed in the ballpark instead of tying the contest. He then sent a ball deep into the stands in left to knot Poythress at three apiece and won the competition with a moon shot that cleared the seating area.

"We didn't really get any warmup swings before or anything," said Gilmore, chosen as a Carolina League reserve. "I was starting to lock in at the end there. It was fun."

Advancing after the first round were San Jose's Juan Perez (five) and Poythress (three) for the California League, and Frederick's Ronnie Welty (five) and Gilmore (three) for the Carolina League. Gilmore beat Winston-Salem's Justin Greene, 2-0, in a playoff round.

Poythress, the California League's starting designated hitter Tuesday night, hit four homers in the semifinals to Perez's three. Gilmore reached the finals by besting Welty, 2-1.