AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:26 AM)
lol right

and we still have like 10 more games against the Nats, I think like 8 against Pittsburgh.. we get the Cubs about 7 more times.. this thing aint ova yet!!!!!

Seriously though, this NL s*** is waaaay overblown.

The Sox are playing great defense all around. This hadn't happened this year.

The Sox are getting key hits with two outs. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seemed like just Paulie and Rios were doing that before.

The Sox are pitching GREAT - and look at their stuff. s***, look at how sharp Floyd was against Strasburg. We didn't luck into that victory. Floyd simply can pitch like an ace when he's on. Our pitchers are ON right now, not just facing weak hitters. Bobby Jenks seems to be back, and everyone else in the pen except Williams and Linebrink are still very strong.

The Sox are beating GOOD YOUNG PITCHERS! Yes, the pitching is allowing them do it, but the key here is we are winning baseball games - even against the NL - that we shouldn't be winning normally. The Sox aren't supposed to beat Strasburg and JD Martin back-to-back like that. They're supposed to get Fisted like against the great Doug Fister. But they've been doing it with the bat, just enough.

The Sox are also making good pitchers pay for their mistakes. Look at last night against Hanson. Knowing that at any point the guy could find his groove and start mowing guys down, the Sox jumped all over him as soon as they could. EVERYONE IN THE LINEUP was drilling the ball off this guy. When's the last time we saw that?!

Look, the horses*** NL in general may have been what this team needed to get rolling, but now they're f***ing rolling. You don't sleepwalk through the type of road trip the Sox have had, no matter how good you are. If what the Sox are doing right now was so easy then everyone would be doing it - like, for instance, the Tigers and Twins, who I seem to recall had the dogs*** stomped out of them last night.

What's happening is the defense is winning the pitchers over. The pitching is winning the offense over. The offense in return is winning the pitching over, and the pitching is winning the defense over after that. Everyone's relaxing, everyone's showing up to the park confident. Struggling players are starting to let their natural talents work for themselves. There is an energy in the way Omar is f***in' it up over at 3B. There is energy in the way Viciedo is swinging the baseball bat, and the way Chris Sale spoke last night about hurrying the f*** up and getting here so we have an even more dominant bullpen. Kenny is paying attention now, he's not sleeping anymore. Hudson will be up soon, it's inevitable. Kenny's about to go shopping. This summer is going to be fun, f*** the haters. I suggest you get the f*** onboard right now unless you want to be left in the dust as we pass the Tigers and Twins.

Go Sox.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And one more thing, this stretch of baseball is the best all-around Sox stretch I've seen since we came from behind to streak our way into the playoffs in 2008. We didn't play this good the entire 2009 season IMO, and most of 2008 either. Certainly not 2007. If we keep playing like this we'll be playing the best ball we've played since at least 2006.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
And one more thing, this stretch of baseball is the best all-around Sox stretch I've seen since we came from behind to streak our way into the playoffs in 2008. We didn't play this good the entire 2009 season IMO, and most of 2008 either. Certainly not 2007. If we keep playing like this we'll be playing the best ball we've played since at least 2006.

Speaking of which...

When was the last time the Sox won 7 straight? I assume you have to go back to the 8 straight they won, multiple times, in 2005.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
Speaking of which...

When was the last time the Sox won 7 straight? I assume you have to go back to the 8 straight they won, multiple times, in 2005.

I know they had a 9 game winning streak in 2006, because that was the first 9 game winning streak the franchise had since the 80's.

They also had an 8 game winning streak in 2008, Wednesday, May 14 to Thursday, May 22

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
Speaking of which...

I think we had an 8-gamer in 2006. But just in terms of, like Hawk says, hitting the ball, catching the ball, throwing the ball, this is the best we've been in a very long time. We're getting 2-out hits, playing great D, the rotation and pen are both mighty right now, etc. We just look like a ballclub that's going to win games right now. We're not having those 2-out errors that lead to three runs, or those bases loaded, nobody out, strikeout-popup-flyout 0-RBI games.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)

The Sox are getting key hits with two outs. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seemed like just Paulie and Rios were doing that before.

The Sox are pitching GREAT - and look at their stuff. s***, look at how sharp Floyd was against Strasburg. We didn't luck into that victory. Floyd simply can pitch like an ace when he's on. Our pitchers are ON right now, not just facing weak hitters. Bobby Jenks seems to be back, and everyone else in the pen except Williams and Linebrink are still very strong.

The Sox are beating GOOD YOUNG PITCHERS! Yes, the pitching is allowing them do it, but the key here is we are winning baseball games - even against the NL - that we shouldn't be winning normally. The Sox aren't supposed to beat Strasburg and JD Martin back-to-back like that. They're supposed to get Fisted like against the great Doug Fister. But they've been doing it with the bat, just enough.

The Sox are also making good pitchers pay for their mistakes. Look at last night against Hanson. Knowing that at any point the guy could find his groove and start mowing guys down, the Sox jumped all over him as soon as they could. EVERYONE IN THE LINEUP was drilling the ball off this guy. When's the last time we saw that?!

Look, the horses*** NL in general may have been what this team needed to get rolling, but now they're f***ing rolling. You don't sleepwalk through the type of road trip the Sox have had, no matter how good you are. If what the Sox are doing right now was so easy then everyone would be doing it - like, for instance, the Tigers and Twins, who I seem to recall had the dogs*** stomped out of them last night.

What's happening is the defense is winning the pitchers over. The pitching is winning the offense over. The offense in return is winning the pitching over, and the pitching is winning the defense over after that. Everyone's relaxing, everyone's showing up to the park confident. Struggling players are starting to let their natural talents work for themselves. There is an energy in the way Omar is f***in' it up over at 3B. There is energy in the way Viciedo is swinging the baseball bat, and the way Chris Sale spoke last night about hurrying the f*** up and getting here so we have an even more dominant bullpen. Kenny is paying attention now, he's not sleeping anymore. Hudson will be up soon, it's inevitable. Kenny's about to go shopping. This summer is going to be fun, f*** the haters. I suggest you get the f*** onboard right now unless you want to be left in the dust as we pass the Tigers and Twins.

Go Sox.

And boom goes the dynamite.

Great post.

With this current defensive setup, minus Quentin, just about every White Sox defender is either above average or around average.

Pierre is a +9 in LF.

Rios is a +7 in CF.

Alexei is a +6 at SS.

Gordon is a +2 at 2B.

Vizquel is a +3 at 3B.

Konerko is currently a -4 and Quentin is a -13 in RF, but overall, this current defense is actually above average.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)

Go Sox.

Awesome post, but I have one question -

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:26 AM)
lol right

and we still have like 10 more games against the Nats, I think like 8 against Pittsburgh.. we get the Cubs about 7 more times.. this thing aint ova yet!!!!!

Dude, you're acting like the emotionally distraught dude at a party who can't stop talking about why his ex-girlfriend broke up with him and how he can get back together with her and what he should do to change. TOTAL f***ING BUZZKILL.

They started this streak by beating the Tigers 2 out of 3, they won a game in which Zeus's other son started, and they just destroyed one of the better young starting pitchers in the NL last night. They haven't won simply because the other teams they were playing were full of minor leaguers (with the possible exception of the Pirates). They've been playing good baseball.

Regular season football doesn't start for 2 and a half months. Lighten up and enjoy the ride, atleast for the time being.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
With this current defensive setup, minus Quentin, just about every White Sox defender is either above average or around average.

Pierre is a +9 in LF.

Rios is a +7 in CF.

Alexei is a +6 at SS.

Gordon is a +2 at 2B.

Vizquel is a +3 at 3B.

Konerko is currently a -4 and Quentin is a -13 in RF, but overall, this current defense is actually above average.

And I'd say Konerko is actually better than that number as well. Quentin is the only real laggard on the field right now, as far as I can see. Maybe AJ.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 07:57 PM)
how long can we hide randy williams and linebrink in the bullpen? they're truly atrocious and not capable pitchers

Until Bellamy and Sale are ready. Hopefully our starters can for the most part go deep into games so we don't need them much.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 08:18 PM)
Yes, it's wrong. Anytime Buehrle is pitching you want the best defensive team you can field behind him. And Alexei has been the best defensive SS in baseball this season.

Viciedo should be at DH today.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
And I'd say Konerko is actually better than that number as well. Quentin is the only real laggard on the field right now, as far as I can see. Maybe AJ.

I don't know why his defense has been deemed bad by UZR so far. At this point last year, he was the leader in UZR at 1B.

It's weird how UZR swings with sample size.

Quentin is straight up bad in RF. That's why he needs to heat up with the bat to be at least a semi-valuable player.

And to add to what I said up there, we have very good defenders at all the key defensive positions (CF, SS, 2B, 3B).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
I don't know why his defense has been deemed bad by UZR so far. At this point last year, he was the leader in UZR at 1B.

It's weird how UZR swings with sample size.

Quentin is straight up bad in RF. That's why he needs to heat up with the bat to be at least a semi-valuable player.

And to add to what I said up there, we have very good defenders at all the key defensive positions (CF, SS, 2B, 3B).

I was told that UZR does not work with 1B because it doesn't account for a 1B ability to scoop balls, and most of the balls that a 1B can not stretch for goes as an error on the thrower, not the 1B.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
I was told that UZR does not work with 1B.

It doesn't work as well.

UZR is usually strictly about range, especially when it comes to infielders. It doesn't take into account the picks Konerko makes at first.

As a 1B, Konerko's range is definitely below average to average. However, he is pretty sure handed, which is good.

Still, UZR at 1B is better than something like fielding%, which is why it's still a usable stat there.

What does take account the nice scoops is Plus/Minus. So far, Konerko's made 11 scoops on the year.

What has hurt him is his lack of range. His current zone rating is .63, which is pretty bad. And he's only made 7 plays out of his zone.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
I was told that UZR does not work with 1B because it doesn't account for a 1B ability to scoop balls, and most of the balls that a 1B can not stretch for goes as an error on the thrower, not the 1B.

I'm pretty sure that this year's UZR update started to take that into account.