Interleague play

WhiteSoxfan1986

With interleague play now in its 13th season, what are everyone's thoughts on it? Personally, I'm not a big fan. I don't mind having it, but I think it should be scaled down. Maybe play the Cubs six games and then have two other series.

My main problem with it is scheduling. How many straight years have we played the Pirates? Five? And teams should have the same schedule as the other teams in the division as well (except for the "rivalry" series).

Hate it. Always have hated it. I don't buy that it helps attendance, because for every Sox-Cubs game, there are extra Sox-Royals and Sox-Indians game that has nobody there. I'd like a balanced schedule where the Sox play everyone in the league 12 games.

If they want to be sell outs, then they should just play the regional rivalries.

AL plays 12 games against the 13 other teams --156, plus 6 vs Cubs= 162

Same with:

Yankees-Mets

Rays-Marlins

Orioles-Nationals

Indians-Reds

Royals-Cardinals

Twins-Brewers

Angels-Dodgers

A's-Giants

Rangers-Astros

The rest mix and match for the 6 games.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
Hate it. Always have hated it. I don't buy that it helps attendance, because for every Sox-Cubs game, there are extra Sox-Royals and Sox-Indians game that has nobody there. I'd like a balanced schedule where the Sox play everyone in the league 12 games.

You should love it. We've played .570 ball against the NL all these years. Only .511against the AL.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
but I thought this NL thing was waaaaaaaay overblown?

I can't take credit for something KHP said.

It is overblown. If it was really that bad, the White Sox would be a .670 team against the NL.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
I can't take credit for something KHP said.

It is overblown. If it was really that bad, the White Sox would be a .670 team against the NL.

Its not overblown at all

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
Its not overblown at all

The NL is not THAT bad.

People have been saying all along that a .570 NL team would be a .500 AL team and vice versa.

Yes, that is the difference between playoffs and mediocrity, but with the way some people treat this, it's like their minor league teams or something.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
The NL is not THAT bad.

Its not about them being THAT bad, its that people thing we have all of the sudden become a playoff team because we have creamed the Cubs, Pirates, and Nationals..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
Its not about them being THAT bad, its that people thing we have all of the sudden become a playoff team because we have creamed the Cubs, Pirates, and Nationals..

HEY WE BEAT THE BRAVES! :drink

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)

It certainly raises the team's confidence. They don't care who they beat.

The thing is, this team was probably mentally screwed the first couple months of the season. By winning all these games against s***ty teams, they've probably got a little swagger back.

Early on in the year, we would have laid down in a game like yesterday.

You're seeing a difference in attitude and the team is playing up to their talent potential.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
It certainly raises the team's confidence. They don't care who they beat.

The thing is, this team was probably mentally screwed the first couple months of the season. By winning all these games against s***ty teams, they've probably got a little swagger back.

Early on in the year, we would have laid down in a game like yesterday.

You're seeing a difference in attitude and the team is playing up to their talent potential.

I get all that, I am mainly talking about people on this board..

I mean, at least wait until we get back on our regular schedule before you set the bar so high, or they will be the same ones freaking out if we start losing again..

It's all about how we're winning, not just that we're winning. If we were taking 7-6 ballgames against bad starters and bad bullpens, and we were making all kinds of errors and blowing late leads only to reclaim them - that's bad baseball, win or lose. We're playing good baseball even when other teams are playing good baseball against us.

Case in point, the bunts Christian Guzman laid down against us normally kill us, but it didn't. Peavy even made a star play off the mound. A big play in IIRC that second game vs,. the Nats was Dunn not coming off the bag to get a throw which led to a run for us. These are the things *we* normally do, but see, we played well for just long enough to stay in the game and allow the opponent to (channelling Hawk) beat themselves.

You just can't say the NL is bad when they're playing good games against us, which has definitely happened. I guarantee that most teams would find it very hard to go 3-0 on Strasburg, Martin, and Hanson like we just did. If all NL rotations were like that then people would be saying the AL is the weaker league.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
You just can't say the NL is bad when they're playing good games against us, which has definitely happened. I guarantee that most teams would find it very hard to go 3-0 on Strasburg, Martin, and Hanson like we just did. If all NL rotations were like that then people would be saying the AL is the weaker league.

You saying we beat Strasburg is really starting to bother me. We did not beat Strasburg. We either beat their bullpen or we just swept the Nats, which is fine, but Stras was not the reason why they lost. (not to mention didn't even receive a loss in his start) And I think even the friggin Orioles/Pirates can beat a pitcher who was only throwing basically one pitch the entire game which Hanson was doing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 01:13 PM)
Love it. Still love seeing nontraditional matchups. Only slightly bothered by the unbalanced schedule.

Right on. Loved it from when it first started.

But I do wish they'd change it to a more NFL-like format. Play 2 against the rival, but then one series against each other team in one division each year, three year rotation.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
You saying we beat Strasburg is really starting to bother me. We did not beat Strasburg. We either beat their bullpen or we just swept the Nats, which is fine, but Stras was not the reason why they lost. (not to mention didn't even receive a loss in his start) And I think even the friggin Orioles/Pirates can beat a pitcher who was only throwing basically one pitch the entire game which Hanson was doing.

I think what he is trying to say is since the Nats started Strasburg they were not a low NL team that day but it became a very tough game that we won even if Strasburg did not get the L.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)

WE BEAT STRASBURGH WOOOO :bringit

I think Interleague play is great. You get to play against and see teams that you normally wouldn't. Being in Chicago, I think we take that for granted cause the Cubs are always on TV versus the NL teams. The Cubs/Sox games are always fun too, but I would cut to 3 games a year.