Sox vs Atlanta 6-23 game thread 7:05 first pitch, CSN

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:19 AM)
I cut him some slack - he's young, he's changed positions twice, he had a great rookie season and now he's taking his lumps. He'll come out of it.

People make way too big a deal about position changes. He switched to the easiest position on the field. Sure, maybe if it happened mid-year, I could see issues. And ginger, I've made more excuses for Beckham than anyone. When we weren't contending, his worthlessness was more acceptable. Now that we're contending, it's not!

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
I know its easy to say now, but I never understood why everyone labeled him as a sure thing, cant miss superstar right from the beginning. I guess it was because we really haven't had any elite prospects since the early 90's.

A lot of it had to do with the massive pay increase Gonzalez is about to receive.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
I know its easy to say now, but I never understood why everyone labeled him as a sure thing, cant miss superstar right from the beginning. I guess it was because we really haven't had any elite prospects since the early 90's.

Well in another organization that actually practices the art of minor league instruction and has major league coaches that can assist young hitters, he would be. He has hit in ever place he has been.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
People make way too big a deal about position changes. He switched to the easiest position on the field. Sure, maybe if it happened mid-year, I could see issues. And ginger, I've made more excuses for Beckham than anyone. When we weren't contending, his worthlessness was more acceptable. Now that we're contending, it's not!

Agreed but add that plus sophmore slump/adjustments plus big expectations etc.

I would rather have Vizquel than Grudzielanek, not even close.

We have to move Omar to 2B and try Viciedo at 3B and live with the errors if he can hit.

Buehrle is really on the edge in this ballgame...sucks that those two plays at the plate both went against us or we'd have some more breathing room. Well, that's baseball. And Mark came through with a huge pickoff, as he always does the little things to battle through games.

5-2 Brewers, UH-OH.

That's not good. Does Ozzie leave in Buehrle?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)

He played 3B for the first time every last season and put up an .800 OPS. Position change is not a valid excuse for his struggles.