Strange baseball question

Rooftop Shots

I was at last nights game, and a something hit me that I just coudn't figure out. Anybody know the reasoning for a couple of things?

1st, a pitcher throws a ball in the dirt, and the ump gives the catcher a new ball to give back to the pitcher. Next, a ball is hit hard, scooped up from the ground and the runner thrown out, and then the same ball is given back to the pitcher. If they continue to use that one, then why can't they use the same one that was pitched in the dirt?

2nd, anyone know what the 2 dirt cutout circles are for at The Cell that are on each side of home plate? The Old Comiskey had them too. A lot of other parks do not have them. They are too close to be an on deck circle. They are not used during batting practice, because they have a tarp over them during that time. Any ideas why they have been there for both parks if they have no use?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
The 2 circles were used in the olden days by photographers, they serve no real purpose now other than as an aesthetic throw back to a by-gone era.

the coaches stand there when they hit fungos i think

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
1st, a pitcher throws a ball in the dirt, and the ump gives the catcher a new ball to give back to the pitcher. Next, a ball is hit hard, scooped up from the ground and the runner thrown out, and then the same ball is given back to the pitcher. If they continue to use that one, then why can't they use the same one that was pitched in the dirt?

Because if it goes directly from the pitcher's hand and drops to the ground, the batter/opposing manager may ask for it to be thrown out. (ie. suspected scuffing/doctoring of the ball)

This is a random question, but how is the following play scored:

Runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs. Deep fly that is an easy SF. Outfielder drops the ball allowing the batter to reach on an error. Does it still go into the scorebook for the batter as a SF RBI and no official at bat? I'm pretty sure it does but I had this debate with my friends last night and they said I was wrong and that it just went down as an error and thus cost the batter an out at bat.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
This is a random question, but how is the following play scored:

Runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs. Deep fly that is an easy SF. Outfielder drops the ball allowing the batter to reach on an error. Does it still go into the scorebook for the batter as a SF RBI and no official at bat? I'm pretty sure it does but I had this debate with my friends last night and they said I was wrong and that it just went down as an error and thus cost the batter an out at bat.

I believe you are correct, but it could go either way.

However, the SF is one of the stupidest rules in baseball. I'm sure the batter wanted to fly out, not get a basehit... give me a break. If they have a sacrifice fly, they should also have a sacrifice grounder then.