Nix claimed by Indians

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
Disagree

Fine, you dont have to agree. I see Nix with 412 career AB hitting .200/.291/.347 and Lillibridge with 200 career AB hitting .185/.264/.281. Nothing in either of those slash lines says that one is so much better that you have to keep him over the opposite player. Lillibridge is cheaper and more versatile. Sorry Jayson, see ya

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
Fine, you dont have to agree. I see Nix with 412 career AB hitting .200/.291/.347 and Lillibridge with 200 career AB hitting .185/.264/.281. Nothing in either of those slash lines says that one is so much better that you have to keep him over the opposite player. Lillibridge is cheaper and more versatile. Sorry Jayson, see ya

When Nix actually had regular at-bats last year, he put up an 84 OPS+ with a semi-respectable .408 SLG. That's miles better than what Lillibridge has done in the previous two years (OPS+ of 21 and 51, respectively). Nix is erratic, but he hits with power and is capable of impersonating a ML starter every once in a while. Their salary differences are minimal.

Agreed that Nix is worthless on the left side of the infield, but he's decent at 2B. In the Sox's current situation, sending Beckham down and starting Nix at 2B, with Vizquel and Viciedo rotating at 3B and Lillibridge being the utility guy, would've made a lot more sense.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)

Also faster and more Southpaw friendly.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
When Nix actually had regular at-bats last year, he put up an 84 OPS+ with a semi-respectable .408 SLG. That's miles better than what Lillibridge has done in the previous two years (OPS+ of 21 and 51, respectively). Nix is erratic, but he hits with power and is capable of impersonating a ML starter every once in a while. Their salary differences are minimal.

Agreed that Nix is worthless on the left side of the infield, but he's decent at 2B. In the Sox's current situation, sending Beckham down and starting Nix at 2B, with Vizquel and Viciedo rotating at 3B and Lillibridge being the utility guy, would've made a lot more sense.

Why bother defending a guy when that's the best thing you can say about him?

QUOTE (goblue5699 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
Nix had an .802 OPS against lefties last season, as a strictly platoon player at 2B he's a solid player. That being said I have no problem with the White Sox optioning him because he is pretty terrible as a utility guy.

With a 25 man roster, you can't hold a roster spot for a guy who can only play 2B and hit against lefties.

QUOTE (goblue5699 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
Nix had an .802 OPS against lefties last season, as a strictly platoon player at 2B he's a solid player. That being said I have no problem with the White Sox optioning him because he is pretty terrible as a utility guy.

This is true. He had the opportunity to fill that role and dropped the ball big-time. Sadly, I'd still take him over Beckham right now.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)
This is true. He had the opportunity to fill that role and dropped the ball big-time. Sadly, I'd still take him over Beckham right now.

But i'd rather take Viciedo over Nix right now. If Beckham gets sent down, I'd rather play DV at 3B with Omar at 2B. We can still use Lilli as the PR/DR for Viciedo late in the game. And Teahen will be back in potentially a week. There just is no more use for Jayson Nix on this roster right now IMO

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
Nix gets waived and the Sox go on a big win streak... coincidence?? I think not!!

Actually, I'd argue that it's completely coincidental. They started the win streak with Nix on the bench.

Teahen going on the DL and the Sox getting fantastic defense at 3B has more to do with the win streak then Nix being DFA'ed. Overall, Nix neither added or detracted anything from this team, and that's why he was DFA'ed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
Actually, I'd argue that it's completely coincidental. They started the win streak with Nix on the bench.

Teahen going on the DL and the Sox getting fantastic defense at 3B has more to do with the win streak then Nix being DFA'ed. Overall, Nix neither added or detracted anything from this team, and that's why he was DFA'ed.

I was completely being factious there...didn't think I needed the green. Nix brought pretty much nothing to this team....

IF Gordon got sent down then why do people want Viciedo there? Put Viciedo at DH with Omar at 3B and if you can't stand Lillibridge at 2B then pick up a temporary stop gap. Why risk the bad D again? Besides, I don't know why we just don't leave Beckham up. Even with his current struggles he still offers greater offensive potential at 2B than anything else we have at 2B, and his defense next to Alexei has been stronger than Viciedo's would be at third or Hudson/Retherford/etc. at 2B. Lilli is the only guy we've got ready who may be able to play better D, but our current Gordon is still better than that with the bat.

Gordon will be back, and it'll come soon. People around him are hitting and getting on base and sooner than later he'll start settling down and getting the hits he needs to build himself back up.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
IF Gordon got sent down then why do people want Viciedo there? Put Viciedo at DH with Omar at 3B and if you can't stand Lillibridge at 2B then pick up a temporary stop gap. Why risk the bad D again? Besides, I don't know why we just don't leave Beckham up. Even with his current struggles he still offers greater offensive potential at 2B than anything else we have at 2B, and his defense next to Alexei has been stronger than Viciedo's would be at third or Hudson/Retherford/etc. at 2B. Lilli is the only guy we've got ready who may be able to play better D, but our current Gordon is still better than that with the bat.

Gordon will be back, and it'll come soon. People around him are hitting and getting on base and sooner than later he'll start settling down and getting the hits he needs to build himself back up.

Where is Mark Kotsay gonna play then?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)

yeah, what he said. They could have thrown both names in a hat and pulled out one and basically it wouldn't have made a difference.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 08:13 AM)
Besides, I don't know why we just don't leave Beckham up. Even with his current struggles he still offers greater offensive potential at 2B than anything else we have at 2B

Except for the fact that Beckham has been Andy Gonzalez-bad all year and still looks completely lost at the plate. Even Lillibridge is a better offensive option right now, and that's pretty sad. I was pushing to keep Beckham up and allow him to work through his struggles a month ago, but it's become clear that he's he's not getting any better. He needs to work under a different hitting instructor, in an environment where he doesn't give the Sox a de facto NL lineup. "Potential" is nice when you're 15 games out and have given up on the season, but that's the not the position that the Sox are in right now.

Vizquel at 2B and Viciedo at 3B makes a lot more sense right now. (Unless the latter proves to be a complete butcher.)