AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
You arent going to get an impact player without including Hudson, Flowers or Viciedo most likely. Thats really all we got.

With Berkman being down a little now and the Astros being so bad, and their history of poor trades.. I think that we could get Berkman without one of those three..

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
You know, about a month ago right now, I remember Hawk Harrelson talking a few times about the 1983 team and reminding people how that team started out 16-24, but then went onto bigger and better things, ultimately winning 99 games that season. My recollection of that season is that things started turning around in June once that awesome starting rotation back then starting putting it together. They started pitching the way everyone knew they could pitch and didn't stop for the rest of the season. Seems to me we might be in a similar situation with the '10 squad. Oh, the offense as currently configured can't hold a candle to the '83 team, but from a pitching standpoint, it does seem eerily similar. Just an interesting context to consider as we try and figure out what lies ahead for this year's White Sox!

:gosoxretro:

I loved that 1983 Sox team. The rotation? Lamar Hoyt, Richard Dotson, Floyd Bannister, Jerry Koosman, Britt Burns. Off memory, I seem to recall that Bannister won like 8 in a row in the second half, Dotson won 9 in a row, and Hoyt won 10 in a row. And between them I have a vague memory of them going 42-5 in the second half. It was obscenely good. They were 3 games over at the ASB, then won 99 games. "Winning ugly" was the motto. The key offensively was putting Carlton Fisk in the #2 hole. Rudy Law stole 70+ bases in the lead off spot.

I also remember down the stretch that Britt Burns, who was not as consistent, would pitch shutout, then get hit hard, then shutout, then bad game. Well he was on his shutout turn in the playoffs, and did in fact shut out the O's for 9 innings. But the baserunning blunder by the "Dibber" and Vance Law cost our best shot at a run, and we lost in 10. With Hoyt coming back at home the next day, the Sox would have been in the World Series.

One of my favorite Sox squads until '05.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
I'm not sure I'd want to give up Morel either...but then I'm scared about n ext year a lot.

That's a legit point of concern, for sure. I checked your math on having about $12M to fill 8 positions next year and it's pretty much correct.

Then again, if the Sox continue to play well and draw (31,000 on a Thurs afternoon game today), JR may hold the payroll at $100M for another year, allowing us to re-up PK for something in the 2/15 range and fill 3B with Viciedo. I'm not sure that Morel would even be ready next year.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
With Berkman being down a little now and the Astros being so bad, and their history of poor trades.. I think that we could get Berkman without one of those three..

I wouldn't even deal Morel for Berkman. He's been awful this year.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
just imagine if we dominated the Cleveland Indians like we are suppose to, then we would be the best team in MLB.

We'd be 7 games over if we were 8-4 against them. Not convincing enough for best team in baseball.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
I am somewhat afraid of the Cubs coming in and beating us. Don't know why, but it's just a feeling.

When was the last time this team won 10 games in a row?

the reason is because none of us could have predicted this streak, and now that we're feeling it and getting a little optimistic, the Cubs seem like an assumed team to pounce on, and we all know once we start expecting something with the Sox is when things go the opposite...

how many 6+ ERA guys have we made look like the CY the past few years? how many times have we faced the oppositions ace and come out with the W? strangely too much

Well it wouldn't have been trivial had we lost the game and winning streak 1-0 or something because we played a bad lineup. Fortunately, that was not how it played out though.

I guess it's a bad lineup any day Rios sits or Kotsay plays.

Kotsay got two hits.

Or maybe it was Lilly playing that bothered many. Well it's not like Beckham has been hitting either.

Or maybe Jones' presence. I thought there was a lot of remaining love for Jones on here.

Great pitching. Great homer by Paulie. Great win!

Be happy.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
Great win guys.

Poor Gavin Floyd just cannot get a win. He's pitched awesome the last 4 or so starts.

Blah. Pitcher wins have pretty much become the most worthless stat in baseball (and that's saying a lot). Gavin just needs to keep doing what he's doing. He is so fun to watch when he's on. I'll admit sometimes I get bored with Buehrle and Danks. Even when they're rolling. Maybe because they're so similar. But I find myself not even wanting to get up to take a s*** when Gavin is dealing.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 08:52 PM)
That JJ Putz signing is looking f***ing awesome right about now. He's got a 0.79 WHIP and a 11.1 K/9, great life on his fastball and that devastating splitty, what a pickup. The back end of the bullpen has been nails for us. If you hope to win the division that's a necessity.

Putz when healthy is dominant. Put him, Thornton and then Jenks together all are lights out. Now if Linebrink and Williams can step up and join the trio

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
Blah. Pitcher wins have pretty much become the most worthless stat in baseball (and that's saying a lot). Gavin just needs to keep doing what he's doing. He is so fun to watch when he's on. I'll admit sometimes I get bored with Buehrle and Danks. Even when they're rolling. Maybe because they're so similar. But I find myself not even wanting to get up to take a s*** when Gavin is dealing.

I am sure Gavin appreciates your loyalty :lol:

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
Putz when healthy is dominant. Put him, Thornton and then Jenks together all are lights out. Now if Linebrink and Williams can step up and join the trio

That's like saying if Oprah can lose some weight or if Whoopi Goldberg could do something about those black lips.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)

It may be useless, but 2-7 just looks hideous no matter how you look at it. But overall I'm sure he's happy about the most important win, which is the team win.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
That's a legit point of concern, for sure. I checked your math on having about $12M to fill 8 positions next year and it's pretty much correct.

Then again, if the Sox continue to play well and draw (31,000 on a Thurs afternoon game today), JR may hold the payroll at $100M for another year, allowing us to re-up PK for something in the 2/15 range and fill 3B with Viciedo. I'm not sure that Morel would even be ready next year.

If we keep the payroll up near $100 mil, that clears us from $12 million to $15 million + available, which makes things easier but not perfect, because we're still suffering from lack of a DH, 1b, and closer, all of which can be expensive, on top of needing more setup men. I'd do that Konerko deal also, but then we have to figure out the closer's spot, and we're not offering Jenks arbitration.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
It may be useless, but 2-7 just looks hideous no matter how you look at it. But overall I'm sure he's happy about the most important win, which is the team win.

You know what looked hideous to me? Scott Feldman's 17-8 record last year. More wins than Greinke, Garza, Kershaw and Gallardo. That was the most grotesque thing I've seen in a while.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)

It's a worthless stat for evaluating a pitcher, I don't think anyone would deny that. Might mean something to Gavin though so it would still be nice to see him get a W one of these days since he's been pitching his ass off lately.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
You know what looked hideous to me? Scott Feldman's 17-8 record last year. More wins than Greinke, Garza, Kershaw and Gallardo. That was the most grotesque thing I've seen in a while.

All about the run support. In Feldman's case when he won he posted a 2.15 ERA, when he lost he posted a 8.85 ERA. That's a huge difference.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
It's a worthless stat for evaluating a pitcher, I don't think anyone would deny that. Might mean something to Gavin though so it would still be nice to see him get a W one of these days since he's been pitching his ass off lately.

He can always take solace by asking D1 how it feels.