Quentin 5.5

Total 90.6

It's so tough to guess sarlay arbitration numbers in June

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
You know what looked hideous to me? Scott Feldman's 17-8 record last year. More wins than Greinke, Garza, Kershaw and Gallardo. That was the most grotesque thing I've seen in a while.

Scott Failedman?

Wins and losses should be abolished, much like runs batted in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
If we keep the payroll up near $100 mil, that clears us from $12 million to $15 million + available, which makes things easier but not perfect, because we're still suffering from lack of a DH, 1b, and closer, all of which can be expensive, on top of needing more setup men. I'd do that Konerko deal also, but then we have to figure out the closer's spot, and we're not offering Jenks arbitration.

I can't remember the last time that the Sox pursued an experienced MLB closer through FA. I imagine that it'll be either Thornton or Santos next year. It's too bad that Kenny didn't get Putz to sign a team option for 2011. He's been looking like the dominant 2007 Putz.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
I can't remember the last time that the Sox pursued an experienced MLB closer through FA. I imagine that it'll be either Thornton or Santos next year. It's too bad that Kenny didn't get Putz to sign a team option for 2011. He's been looking like the dominant 2007 Putz.

I doubt that Putz would have given anything close to a reasonable option, because he likely wants to cash in as a closer in the offseason. He could be talking about maybe even an 8-10 million a year deal if someone is really after a closer, if he comes up with this kind of season at the end of the year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
I agree about wins and loses. RBI is still important, though flawed and overrated (Ryan Howard).

The problem I have with RBI is some people try to use it when comparing player A to player B. OMG it pisses me off.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
The problem I have with RBI is some people try to use it when comparing player A to player B. OMG it pisses me off.

My question would be: what does a player's RBI total tell you at the end of the year?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)

I agree completely. There was a dude over at the ESPN board that compared Jorge Cantu favorably to Evan Longoria because of Cantu's 100 RBI last year. I thought he was kidding. When I realized he was serious I started to cut myself because I was so angry.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
My question would be: what does a player's RBI total tell you at the end of the year?

How many opportunities said player(s) had to drive in a run, whether it be a runner in scoring position, or on first... compared to league average. That's pretty much it.

Sure on occasion players can hit great with men on and poorly with none on... but as a general whole the numbers even out pretty well. If you are a .220 hitter... but are one of the league leaders in rbi opportunities... you better believe that player has a great chance of being among a league leader in rbi's. It works both ways. You can hit .350, but if you don't have the opportunities, what does it matter?

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
How many opportunities said player(s) had to drive in a run, whether it be a runner in scoring position, or on first... compared to league average. That's pretty much it.

Sure on occasion players can hit great with men on and poorly with none on... but as a general whole the numbers even out pretty well. If you are a .220 hitter... but are one of the league leaders in rbi opportunities... you better believe that player has a great chance of being among a league leader in rbi's. It works both ways. You can hit .350, but if you don't have the opportunities, what does it matter?

That's exactly what I was getting at, well said.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)

In a way, it tells you a little bit about the player's ability, because you don't see everybody driving in 100 runs.

However, most of it is about who hits around you.

Adrian Gonzalez getting only 100 RBI a year doesn't mean he's nowhere near as good as Ryan Howard.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
In a way, it tells you a little bit about the player's ability, because you don't see everybody driving in 100 runs.

However, most of it is about who hits around you.

Adrian Gonzalez getting only 100 RBI a year doesn't mean he's nowhere near as good as Ryan Howard.

As much as everyone loves Adrian, he's still underrated IMO.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
As much as everyone loves Adrian, he's still underrated IMO.

If the year ended now, he'd be the NL leader in WAR. So technically, he has been the most valuable position player in the NL thus far.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
Peavy      16

Buehrle 14

Rios 12

Linebrink 5.5

Pierre 5

Floyd 5

Teahen 4.75

Thornton 3

Viciedo 1.25

Ramirez 1.1

Castro 0.2

Danks ???? (3.45)

Jenks ???? (7.5)

Pena ???? (1.2)

Quentin ???? (3.2)

Total 67.8

---then guessing at salaries---

Peavy      16

Buehrle 14

Rios 12

Linebrink 5.5

Pierre 5

Floyd 5

Teahen 4.75

Thornton 3

Viciedo 1.25

Ramirez 1.1

Castro 0.2

Danks 7

Jenks 8.3

Pena 2

Quentin 5.5

Total 90.6

It's so tough to guess sarlay arbitration numbers in June

Is Castro a misprint?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:59 PM)
I don't know what the f*** has gotten into this team but I love it!

Starting pitchers woke up and have been on an ungodly tear. Offense is still inconsistent but when you're shutting out the opposition that doesn't really matter.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
Starting pitchers woke up and have been on an ungodly tear. Offense is still inconsistent but when you're shutting out the opposition that doesn't really matter.

You're being kind. The offense still blows. But hey, if the other team can't score at all, it doesn't matter.