AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
I'm assuming yes since he's getting paid $1 million this year.

He has a $200K buyout for next season, that accounts for the 0.2. He makes $800K this year, that $200K buyout in 2011 makes it $1M guaranteed overall.

Chipper Jones:

“That team right there is the best we’ve played this month,” Chipper Jones said. “They’re swinging the bats. And the back of their bullpen is dynamite. They’re the first team I’ve seen that can shorten a game to six innings.”

Derek Lowe:

“We got swept, but I don’t think any of us are leaving here thinking we’re a bad team,” he said. “This White Sox team … the way they’re playing these last two weeks is off the charts.”

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
How many opportunities said player(s) had to drive in a run, whether it be a runner in scoring position, or on first... compared to league average. That's pretty much it.

Sure on occasion players can hit great with men on and poorly with none on... but as a general whole the numbers even out pretty well. If you are a .220 hitter... but are one of the league leaders in rbi opportunities... you better believe that player has a great chance of being among a league leader in rbi's. It works both ways. You can hit .350, but if you don't have the opportunities, what does it matter?

Good work querty or Q-Berty.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
I loved that 1983 Sox team. The rotation? Lamar Hoyt, Richard Dotson, Floyd Bannister, Jerry Koosman, Britt Burns. Off memory, I seem to recall that Bannister won like 8 in a row in the second half, Dotson won 9 in a row, and Hoyt won 10 in a row. And between them I have a vague memory of them going 42-5 in the second half. It was obscenely good. They were 3 games over at the ASB, then won 99 games. "Winning ugly" was the motto. The key offensively was putting Carlton Fisk in the #2 hole. Rudy Law stole 70+ bases in the lead off spot.

I also remember down the stretch that Britt Burns, who was not as consistent, would pitch shutout, then get hit hard, then shutout, then bad game. Well he was on his shutout turn in the playoffs, and did in fact shut out the O's for 9 innings. But the baserunning blunder by the "Dibber" and Vance Law cost our best shot at a run, and we lost in 10. With Hoyt coming back at home the next day, the Sox would have been in the World Series.

One of my favorite Sox squads until '05.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

great quote here by chipper jones, "That team right there is the best we've played this month," Chipper Jones said. "They're swinging the bats. And the back of their bullpen is dynamite. They're the first team I've seen that can shorten a game to six innings."

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
^^^^THIS^^^^^

Yep. That one blown run in game 4 may have been enough to get the Sox into the series that year. Hoyt was so on at the time but Baltimore was a great squad as well. Lot of fond memories from that season. It was back when ABC had Monday Night baseball and the Sox played the Brewers of Gorman Thomas fame. They won an exciting game and really were rounding into form after the trade for Julio Cruz. We can only hope this season comes close to being as memorable a second half.

QUOTE (AJUribe @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
great quote here by chipper jones, "That team right there is the best we've played this month," Chipper Jones said. "They're swinging the bats. And the back of their bullpen is dynamite. They're the first team I've seen that can shorten a game to six innings."

Funny. I was thinking last night that if MB can get through the 6th with the lead, the bullpen would take care of the rest.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
Was at the game today. Great crowd, great game there was an atmosphere there that was incredible.

The crowd does sound awesome. 31k is ridiculous for a Thursday day game. Kinda sucks that this weekend is vs. the North Siders, cause those games are sell outs even if we are 25 games back, not 2.5. It would be nice to see the crowd that shows up against like KC or BAL or a team like that.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
Their .763 OPS in June is 8th in MLB.

Eh they kick the s*** out of Detroit and score 15 runs and that compensates for the 0, 1, and 2 run games they had the next 2 weeks after that (granted, with the exception of the 1-hitter against Lilly they are all wins thanks to the SP, my point)

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
I'm about to leave work and am trying to make a ton of posts in a hurry, thus you ended up with that mess. I've never understood playing grammar police on a message board though, 90 percent of posts are a grammatical nightmare.

I like your original post, the double negatives drove home a completely different point than without. To say it was logically impossible to NOT give up on the team does in fact emphasize something completely different than it was possible to give up on them

The first clearly states that given what we had witnessed, one would be crazy to not give up on them, the second says "one sees this, one gives up", boring and pointless

Edited by stretchstretch