Sox vs Cubs 6-25 game thread 3:05 first pitch

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
I'm quite curious as well. He has good velocity and pretty nice movement on his slider.

Qwerty is like the best poster here. If anybody else outside of Kalapse said that I would think they were sniffin' glue. I'm really interested to see why he thinks that of Santos.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
would have rather seen linebrink and williams pitch, to make it more interesting, but i'll take it.

holy s*** - what a turnaround

I don't care to ever see Linebrink pitch again unless it's against us...

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
Holy s*** what a terrific game that was. This team is playing some insanely entertaining baseball right now.

Was this not the game we expected to see more of before this season started?

Domination by Jake, homers by Q and Gordo...

Now THAT's what I'm talkin bout fellas!

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
Paul Sullivan:

Just keeps getting worse for the Cubs: Big Z filmed screaming obscenities at local cameramen in the Sox parking lot at the Cell.

can't wait to see that film...what a nut bag.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)
Color me unimpressed. I don't think santos will stick around the majors for too long, and if he does, he will be in the back end. I realize this is a very unpopular opinion.

I will say I don't agree with your assessment.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
Yeesh, Lou sent Zambrano home after the first inning because he didn't want any problems in the clubhouse. From Lou's tone it sounds like Carlos could be in some trouble here.

Was a blow up seen over the TV broadcast? I am DVRing this game on WGN

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
Yeesh, Lou sent Zambrano home after the first inning because he didn't want any problems in the clubhouse. From Lou's tone it sounds like Carlos could be in some trouble here.

Especially if he want bat s*** in the parking lot at a reporter...they have to do something severe to him. wtf not?...not like they're going anywhere.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
Care to elaborate?

I think it's a combination of things. Inexperience is one of the biggest factors against him at this point. Which santos leads the league in, far and away which heavily factors against him. How will he be able to adjust to all of the adjusting against him? He has never had to go through that, at any level, let alone in the majors leagues on a team hoping to contend. At times in absolutely huge, vital situations to get out of. Thus far, he has pretty much been nails in that aspect. It doesn't change the fact that santos is rawer than raw.

His whiff rates for every single pitch he throws, is below average. Not something you would expect out of a guy who throws his fastball at 95.7 on average, now is it? People see a big fastball and the ''ooohs'' and ''ahhhs'' get thrown all about. Velocity is far from everything. His fastball whiff rate is at a disgustingly low 6.2 percent. His slider, which appeared to be excellent the first month or so, now sits at 23.3% ... 28.7% is league average. Don't get me wrong, his slider is still a terrific pitch, regardless, but his fastball severely lacks. It lacks to the point that it almost negates his slider entirely. His lack of overall control makes his change nothing more than a show me type pitch, in my eyes, though up until this point it's acted as a plus pitch for him. In the long run, i just don't see that as the case. Pounding the zone with strikes, or at least offerings near the plate, has still got to be worked on big time, instilled into his muscle memory. His control was shockingly good the first two months, so much so, that it was very deceiving to his actual ability. The santos of june is so much closer to his ability than the first two months, it's not even funny.

Play around here... combine it with brooks baseball... and you never have to go any further to find out what you want to know about any specific pitcher, or think you know about a pitcher.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)
I think it's a combination of things. Inexperience is one of the biggest factors against him at this point. Which santos leads the league in, far and away which heavily factors against him. How will he be able to adjust to all of the adjusting against him? He has never had to go through that, at any level, let alone in the majors leagues on a team hoping to contend. At times in absolutely huge, vital situations to get out of. Thus far, he has pretty much been nails in that aspect. It doesn't change the fact that santos is rawer than raw.

His whiff rates for every single pitch he throws, is below average. Not something you would expect out of a guy who throws his fastball at 95.7 on average, now is it? People see a big fastball and the ''ooohs'' and ''ahhhs'' get thrown all about. Velocity is far from everything. His fastball whiff rate is at a disgustingly low 6.2 percent. His slider, which appeared to be excellent the first month or so, now sits at 23.3% ... 28.7% is league average. Don't get me wrong, his slider is still a terrific pitch, regardless, but his fastball severely lacks. It lacks to the point that it almost negates his slider entirely. His lack of overall control makes his change nothing more than a show me type pitch, in my eyes, though up until this point it's acted as a plus pitch for him. In the long run, i just don't see that as the case. Pounding the zone with strikes, or at least offerings near the plate, has still got to be worked on big time, instilled into his muscle memory. His control was shockingly good the first two months, so much so, that it was very deceiving to his actual ability. The santos of june is so much closer to his ability than the first two months, it's not even funny.

Play around here... combine it with brooks baseball... and you never have to go any further to find out what you want to know about any specific pitcher, or think you know about a pitcher.

You should work for Baseball Prospectus. Very nice analysis.