Sox vs Cubs 6-25 game thread 3:05 first pitch

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
I don't recall the exact circumstances but didn't the Angels have like no sleep when they played us in game 1 of the '05 ALCS? And no, I'm not saying the '10 Cubs are similar to the '05 Angels but the travel/sleep thing may be overplayed.

How about the ultimate story of adversity and crazy travel: Cubs vs Astros 9/14/08 at Miller Park?

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
Well, I certainly don't think this is the perfect roster but I feel like from an offensive standpoint, it's good enough to get to where we need to be, which is in the postseason. If we can reach the postseason, with the colder temperatures, I think our starting pitching will have an edge, and I think we could win a lot of games in the same fashion we've been winning them on this streak.

Were we in the AL East, not sure I would feel the same way about the roster, but we aren't.

All in all, I would have rather we signed Kelly Johnson than Omar Vizquel or brought back Jayson Nix. I would have rather we signed Jim Thome as well. But I guess I don't think those are wrongs that can't be righted mid-season and I have enough faith in Kenny that he will indeed right them.

Is this roster ideal? No. But able to be improved? Yes.

And all in all, I do like the roster, I do think it's good enough to where if we pitch like we should, we'll be fine with some additional acquisitions before August 31.

That's where we differ. I love our Rotation and our bullpen especially but I'm just not seeing enough offense to get us past the Twins and Tigers especially if the Twins add someone like Cliff Lee at the deadline (they certainly have the means to do so). If Kenny does pick up a big time bat at the deadline though (I really wish our system were a little stronger near the top) my confidence will gain a tremendous boost.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
That's where we differ. I love our Rotation and our bullpen especially but I'm just not seeing enough offense to get us past the Twins and Tigers especially if the Twins add someone like Cliff Lee at the deadline (they certainly have the means to do so). If Kenny does pick up a big time bat at the deadline though (I really wish our system were a little stronger near the top) my confidence will gain a tremendous boost.

Yeah, and I understand that. That is a reasonable opinion to have.

Personally, I am not all that impressed with the Tigers lineup either, but I guess that has changed a bit with the unexpected success of Brennan Boesch.

From the Twins perspective, while I do love their offense, I don't love their pitching, and I think they had better add Lee because I believe Blackburn, Baker, and Pavano are all due for a bit of a cooling off period.

I'd rather have the dynamite pitching staff than the dynamite offense in our division.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
Yeah, and I understand that. That is a reasonable opinion to have.

Personally, I am not all that impressed with the Tigers lineup either, but I guess that has changed a bit with the unexpected success of Brennan Boesch.

From the Twins perspective, while I do love their offense, I don't love their pitching, and I think they had better add Lee because I believe Blackburn, Baker, and Pavano are all due for a bit of a cooling off period.

I'd rather have the dynamite pitching staff than the dynamite offense in our division.

What's wrong with having both? You get one solid bat to replace Kotsay/Jones and we are a World Series contender and not a mere division contender.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
I don't recall the exact circumstances but didn't the Angels have like no sleep when they played us in game 1 of the '05 ALCS? And no, I'm not saying the '10 Cubs are similar to the '05 Angels but the travel/sleep thing may be overplayed.

Indeed. It's ridiculously overplayed, means absolutely nothing.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
Give me 3 possible names that you think will give our offense enough boost to do so.

BAH! I was hoping no one would ask me that. Can I give a cop-out answer and say it largely depends upon how some of these guys who will be available are playing at the deadline? Because the names I'd really want aren't all that realistic whether it be they're not available or too expensive from a financial/talent perspective making a possible trade either impossible or not at all worth it? My top 2 would be Fielder and Dunn but they fit into the latter category especially Dunn who's almost definitely not getting traded regardless of where the Nationals are in the standings and Fielder would come at a large price tag both talent wise and financially (I don't think people realize he's going to make upwards of $15M next year). Adam LaRoche would be a decent but, I wouldn't lose my mind with excitement but I'd feel as though we made a very solid upgrade to the lineup. Luke Scott would be ok but once again not all that exciting. Berkman's gotta show something before the end of July otherwise I really don't want anything to do with him. I want NOTHING to with Ty Wigginton, I'll just say that now.

But those are just the names that are out there now, these will change in the next month or so, players will fall off, others with get hot and who knows who will fall out of contention making more bats available. I guess I'm holding out hope that Kenny will shock me and get a true impact guy that either I'm not thinking of or don't believe we could acquire. In the end though I suppose my guy would be LaRoche due to promise of future production and cost.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
What's wrong with having both? You get one solid bat to replace Kotsay/Jones and we are a World Series contender and not a mere division contender.

Well, I have maintained all along that I didn't agree with Kenny and Jerry's allowance of Ozzie to shape this offense as much as he did. But the fact is that they did, and so I just find it kind of counterproductive to continue crucifying them for it as opposed to hoping we can get by with it until the time comes to make the acquisition to rectify that mistake.

If our GM was Bill Stoneman or something, I would agree with you a lot more. But given Kenny's level of aggressiveness, I don't see it as anything that we can't fix when the time comes.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
BAH! I was hoping no one would ask me that. Can I give a cop-out answer and say it largely depends upon how some of these guys who will be available are playing at the deadline? Because the names I'd really want aren't all that realistic whether it be they're not available or too expensive from a financial/talent perspective making a possible trade either impossible or not at all worth it? My top 2 would be Fielder and Dunn but they fit into the latter category especially Dunn who's almost definitely not getting traded regardless of where the Nationals are in the standings. Adam LaRoche would be a decent but, I wouldn't lose my mind with excitement but I'd feel as though we made a very solid upgrade to the lineup. Luke Scott would be ok but once again not all that exciting. Berkman's gotta show something before the end of July otherwise I really don't want anything to do with him. I want NOTHING to with Ty Wigginton, I'll just say that now.

But those are just the names that are out there now, these will change in the next month or so, players will fall off, others with get hot and who knows who will fall out of contention making more bats available. I guess I'm holding out hope that Kenny will shock me and get a true impact guy that either I'm not thinking of or don't believe we could acquire. In the end though I suppose my guy would be LaRoche due to promise of future production and cost.

Great answer, I wasn't sure if I should ask if the game thread but we have some time to kill.

I simply can't imagine Kenny pulling a deal for Prince, and the way it looks the player that should be aquired should be mostly DH/1B both Dunn/LaRoche fit that profile.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
BAH! I was hoping no one would ask me that. Can I give a cop-out answer and say it largely depends upon how some of these guys who will be available are playing at the deadline? Because the names I'd really want aren't all that realistic whether it be they're not available or too expensive from a financial/talent perspective making a possible trade either impossible or not at all worth it? My top 2 would be Fielder and Dunn but they fit into the latter category especially Dunn who's almost definitely not getting traded regardless of where the Nationals are in the standings and Fielder would come at a large price tag both talent wise and financially (I don't think people realize he's going to make upwards of $15M next year). Adam LaRoche would be a decent but, I wouldn't lose my mind with excitement but I'd feel as though we made a very solid upgrade to the lineup. Luke Scott would be ok but once again not all that exciting. Berkman's gotta show something before the end of July otherwise I really don't want anything to do with him. I want NOTHING to with Ty Wigginton, I'll just say that now.

Yeah, it's tough to say who you need to get now because it's still only June 25th.

I have a weird feeling we might be looking at another waiver acquisition in August.

The other thing we have to be careful of, and this is something Kenny is sometimes guilty of, is not acquiring the guy who has been great the first half, but the guy who is going to be great the second half. After all, great production that happens for another team really does nothing for your team, and this is something that seems to often be a landmine that GMs step into.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
The other thing we have to be careful of, and this is something Kenny is sometimes guilty of, is not acquiring the guy who has been great the first half, but the guy who is going to be great the second half. After all, great production that happens for another team really does nothing for your team, and this is something that seems to often be a landmine that GMs step into.

That's actually one of the big reasons why I think we need another impact bat: Alex Rios and Paul Konerko. They're playing out of their minds right now, like WELL above their previous career highs. Konerko's current wOBA: .416 previous highs: .394 (2006) .385 (2005) and Alex Rios' current wOBA: .402 previous highs: .368 (2007) .365 (2006).

They've kept this team afloat for much of the year and I really don't know how much longer they can keep up this level of production.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
That's actually one of the big reasons why I think we need another impact bat: Alex Rios and Paul Konerko. They're playing out of their minds right now, like WELL above their previous career highs. Konerko's current wOBA: .416 previous highs: .394 (2006) .385 (2005) and Alex Rios' current wOBA: .402 previous highs: .368 (2007) .365 (2006).

They've kept this team afloat for much of the year and I really don't know how much longer they can keep up this level of production.

Well hopefully Quentin and Beckham can make up a little for the regression that Alex and PK are sure to have. Unfortunately there's much more of a sample size with Konerko and Rios than there is for Q and Becks.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)

I agree 100%. Hopefully this is where Q steps up and helps take the load off them a bit. I expect Alexei to continue to hit well for the rest of the year, as well as AJ.

Not advocating this in any way, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Miguel Tejada in a White Sox uniform in about 3 weeks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
I agree 100%. Hopefully this is where Q steps up and helps take the load off them a bit. I expect Alexei to continue to hit well for the rest of the year, as well as AJ.

Not advocating this in any way, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Miguel Tejada in a White Sox uniform in about 3 weeks.

I would be to be honest.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
Yeah, it's tough to say who you need to get now because it's still only June 25th.

I have a weird feeling we might be looking at another waiver acquisition in August.

Jason Bay and his 4 home runs says hi.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
Well maybe you could share why?

It would really suck if after all KW has said about bringing in good OBP guys (something he didn't really do but he said it's his #1 regret from the offseason) he goes out at the deadline and brings in a 36 year old infielder with a 3% BB rate and a sub .100 ISO. And is he replacing Teahen? Not much of an upgrade.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
I just don't understand what role he would fill.

Well, if they were to send Gordo down and Viciedo back down, he can play 3rd base, or ss in a pinch. I imagine he can fill in at 2b as well. He's a guy that should be available, should not cost too much financially, that we've looked at before, and a guy that Ozzie would love to have because he was good in 2003.

Again, not saying it's something I would want to do, but it's something I could see happening.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
It would really suck if after all KW has said about bringing in good OBP guys (something he didn't really do but he said it's his #1 regret from the offseason) he goes out at the deadline and brings in a 36 year old infielder with a 3% BB rate and a sub .100 ISO. And is he replacing Teahen? Not much of an upgrade.

Yeah, I agree with all of the above.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
Indeed. It's ridiculously overplayed, means absolutely nothing.

I think it means a little, but most players say the 2nd game is when they feel it, usually after a crazy night of travel and little sleep they get through that first game fine, but for some reason it hits them the 2nd game of a series.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
I think it means a little, but most players say the 2nd game is when they feel it, usually after a crazy night of travel and little sleep they get through that first game fine, but for some reason it hits them the 2nd game of a series.

That's often how it is when regular people travel as well.