WTF is up with Tampa?!?!?

Wanne

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 05:06 AM)
How is it possible that he threw 149 pitches? Im pretty sure that you are suppose to die if you go over 100

If I were the DBacks, I'd try to find a way to give him an extra few days rest, or just skip a start.

I wonder if Oz would get criticized heavily for letting, say, Peavy throw 150 to complete a no no.

The Rays have to feel a little shellshocked getting no hit so much. As good a team as they've had, it's bizarre.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Totally agree, pitch count is a joke.

It may be overused as a crutch for some managers, but it's not a joke that a guy throwing 150 when he typically throws 110 or so is really pushing his arm where it hasn't gone before.

Generally, pitchers ERA's in the start following a 120+ pitch start are much higher. I have no idea where to find the statistic and I don't want to do the research to actually calculate it, but I would imagine ERA's go up by atleast one full point. That alone tells me that pitch count is significant.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
Generally, pitchers ERA's in the start following a 120+ pitch start are much higher. I have no idea where to find the statistic and I don't want to do the research to actually calculate it, but I would imagine ERA's go up by atleast one full point. That alone tells me that pitch count is significant.

And there are enough anecdotal cases like Gil Meche, who threw 130 or so in a game last year and has struggled since, that make me think giving him an extra start off has very little downside.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
And there are enough anecdotal cases like Gil Meche, who threw 130 or so in a game last year and has struggled since, that make me think giving him an extra start off has very little downside.

Arizona isn't playing for anything anyways, they may as well protect their investment at this point in time. Shut him down until the All Star Break just to make sure his arm doesn't fall off.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Arizona isn't playing for anything anyways, they may as well protect their investment at this point in time. Shut him down until the All Star Break just to make sure his arm doesn't fall off.

I'd just give him 1 start off. Any longer than that and his arm is going to start tightening up and it'd be like coming off the DL.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)
He will pitch on Friday with 2 extra days off.

As far as Tampa, BJ Upton and Evan Longoria got into it in the dugout today.

They are having some issues.

Longoria was dead-on. Upton was loafing not once but twice defensively. Considering his talent/skillset he's unquestionably the biggest underachiever in baseball right now.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Totally agree, pitch count is a joke.

It might be a joke when some guy can't throw more than 100 pitches because of this or that. But when a guy throws a game and a half's worth of pitches, that's alarming.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
I wonder if Oz would get criticized heavily for letting, say, Peavy throw 150 to complete a no no.

The Rays have to feel a little shellshocked getting no hit so much. As good a team as they've had, it's bizarre.

I'd probably call for his head.

With no hitters being so damn common lately, it wouldn't mean much to me.

Plus, you're talking about a guy's career. 15 minutes of fame on SportsCenter isn't worth it.

And weren't you the guy getting all sensitive about back problems with Joe Crede? You know how you can avoid chronic arm problems? By not throwing 150 pitches...

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
I'd probably call for his head.

With no hitters being so damn common lately, it wouldn't mean much to me.

Plus, you're talking about a guy's career. 15 minutes of fame on SportsCenter isn't worth it.

And weren't you the guy getting all sensitive about back problems with Joe Crede? You know how you can avoid chronic arm problems? By not throwing 150 pitches...

No hitters are so damn common because the Rays keep getting no hit.

Pitch count is a big deal now, because pitchers are conditioned to it as soon as they get into pro-ball.

But the old school thought is that the pitch count is hurting the pitchers and leading to more injuries than preventing. The idea is that pitchers aren't throwing as much which means they aren't strengthening their arms as much as they could.

150 pitches is a lot today, but it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Bob Feller probably averaged 150 pitches per game, and he never had a single arm injury and one of the greatest fastballs the game has ever seen.