Paging Kenny Williams

Real

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but you have to let the market settle a little bit, if you over-reach out of desperation, you end up paying way too much.

Shedding Flowers or Hudson now, before we see how well the White Sox stand up head-to-head against Minnesota and Detroit...probably not the smartest move in the world, because obviously AJ and Freddy Garcia aren't going to be around forever.

And it's not like the White Sox just took off and cruised when they added Rios and Peavy. Obviously, Peavy was hurt, but Rios was in a funk all year long, and that funk was passed on to JD, who saw the writing on the wall in terms of his future and he started moping and it affected the attitude/chemistry of the entire team.

So you have to be very careful when you tinker with something that's going so well. Like in 2006, all the changes KW made were "logical" ones but sometimes you can mess around with a good thing too much.

We just need to ride this out to its conclusion, then, you can start thinking about changes/tweaks/improvements to the roster.

Who knows how long we can ride Vizquel, how Beckham ends up...but we need to give this at least two more weeks of constant monitoring.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
Yeah I definitely think that the White Sox should start tinkering with their team because theyve been really doing poorly lately.

I still think wait and see is the most prudent course.

Yeah but the road is gonna get a lot rougher in the next few weeks.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
Yeah I definitely think that the White Sox should start tinkering with their team because theyve been really doing poorly lately.

I still think wait and see is the most prudent course.

Mark Kotsay isn't going to magically become a .300 hitter.

You have no other viable replacements as a DH, unless Viciedo finds his groove, which is a possibility, but a slim one at that.

So you NEED to go get at least a bat that is worthy of being a starting player, ie Adam LaRoche.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
So who is out of the race that has players worth adding?

Arizona - LaRoche

Kansas City - DeJesus

Baltimore - Scott

Houston - Berkman

Edited by chw42

Id say what 75% of the board were talking about trading all veterans as recently as 2 weeks ago?

Its been a great run and hopefully the Sox take control of the division and dominate. But the thread premise is ridiculous, that some how Kenny Williams needs to do something immediately, as if he has just been sitting around doing nothing.

I would rather the Sox take a second to make the best decision, instead of knee jerk reactions this board suggests on a daily basis.

I mean if Kenny Williams acted as fast as people wanted, all of the vets would be gone and we wouldnt be in the hunt.

The guy does whatever he can to win, I have absolute faith that he is going at whatever pace he feels will help the Sox win. So I guess my problem is more with the threads implication that Kenny needs a wake up call, or to be paged, when he is probably one of the only people on the face of the planet who had faith in this team.

Not to mention you have no clue what Reisndorf is saying about money. Sox attendance has seemed pretty bad (not looking at the numbers but judging by how many people were at games). Jerry may have told Kenny that he has to wait to see if fans are actually going to show up this year.

So I entirely disagree with the premise of the thread that Kenny needs any sort of paging.

If the Sox are in contention, KW will get the best player that the Sox can get. That much im sure of.

Really so when the Sox were 9 games under .500 the board was saying the Sox should trade spects to add a veteran bat?

All I ever read was about trading AJ, Paulie, etc.

And obviously none of these bats are coming cheap, you are going to be giving up a potentially important piece of the future of the Sox. I guess Id rather wait to make the right decision, than all of a sudden have a bare farm system, a veteran getting paid money and a team under 500.

Maybe Im wrong, but I seem to pretty clearly remember everyone saying that this team was dead, and this was in June.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
Really so when the Sox were 9 games under .500 the board was saying the Sox should trade spects to add a veteran bat?

And obviously none of these bats are coming cheap, you are going to be giving up a potentially important piece of the future of the Sox. I guess Id rather wait to make the right decision, than all of a sudden have a bare farm system, a veteran getting paid money and a team under 500.

Maybe Im wrong, but I seem to pretty clearly remember everyone saying that this team was dead, and this was in June.

We've had people talk about getting a bat all off-season. Of course, when the team is sucking, you talk about selling. It's human nature.

I wanted A.J. gone from this team so we can get some value in return and start playing Flowers.

At that point in the season, our season was pretty much dead. Can you really blame anyone for thinking like that?

We've had people talk about getting a bat all off-season. Of course, when the team is sucking, you talk about selling. It's human nature.

I wanted A.J. gone from this team so we can get some value in return and start playing Flowers.

At that point in the season, our season was pretty much dead. Can you really blame anyone for thinking like that?

Sox dont have unlimited money and with the additions of Peavy and Rios they were strapped for cash so couldnt add a bat. Unfortunately attendance has seemed to be bad, not really helping to add that bat. Now they have to be patient and see if fans show up.

The season was never over in June, it was like a football team who was 3-5 saying that theyd never make the playoffs. It just was way to early to be giving up on a team that had one of the most talented rotations on paper.

But its always easy for people to play both sides of the fence. The slow start and lack of fan support is really going to limit KW's ability to be aggressive this year. Im not blaming people for not showing up, but when you are at half capacity and a pretty high payroll, something has to give.

The farther the season progresses, the more the contract is prorated. Laroche will be about $1mil cheaper on July 31. I just think that Laroche is going to cost significantly more than what people are expecting.

You need to add a bat, FAST. Like, before July 31st, hell... before July 1st

The tone of this thread is ridiculously negative.

I think KW knows the team needs a better bat at DH. He's done a good job with this team so far.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
Shin Soo-Choo (Would the tribe deal within the division?), would be phenomenal, it would take at least Hudson to get him though and that's if they would even trade within the division

He's up for arbitration for the next 3 years.

So it would take a lot.

Although rumor has it, he might have to go back to Korea for military service unless Korea wins the WBC or something.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
Sox dont have unlimited money and with the additions of Peavy and Rios they were strapped for cash so couldnt add a bat. Unfortunately attendance has seemed to be bad, not really helping to add that bat. Now they have to be patient and see if fans show up.

The season was never over in June, it was like a football team who was 3-5 saying that theyd never make the playoffs. It just was way to early to be giving up on a team that had one of the most talented rotations on paper.

But its always easy for people to play both sides of the fence. The slow start and lack of fan support is really going to limit KW's ability to be aggressive this year. Im not blaming people for not showing up, but when you are at half capacity and a pretty high payroll, something has to give.

The farther the season progresses, the more the contract is prorated. Laroche will be about $1mil cheaper on July 31. I just think that Laroche is going to cost significantly more than what people are expecting.

You're not going to give up Hudson or Flowers for him and Arizona isn't going to realistically ask for those two. Danks2 would be the most I'd give up for him.

If Aaron Poreda, Clayton Richard, and some throw-ins can get you Jake Peavy, don't you think you can get Adam LaRoche for a B prospect and some throw-ins?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)

It doesn't help when Buster Olney is reporting that the Sox were "open for business" and ready to sell off veterans.

You also really need to stop using the word "everyone" I absolutely hate that. Not every person lost hope, hell iamshack has been behind this team from the very beginning and stuck with them even when we started getting reports that the Sox were ready to White Flag it. s*** we had a "buyers" thread when we were about 9 games back.

And for the record: I agree with you about the tone of the thread, there's really no rush as of right now. "paging Kenny" seems like a poor choice of words.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
He's up for arbitration for the next 3 years.

So it would take a lot.

Although rumor has it, he might have to go back to Korea for military service unless Korea wins the WBC or something.

Though he can easily get out of it by never returning to Korea, something that he's actually hinted at.