Paging Kenny Williams

Real

I still think Berkman is the best option..

He has a .350 OBP and the general consensus is he has been garbage so far this season.. I think if you let him DH with a nice change of scenery his numbers would go up..

And I still think he can be had for a lot cheaper than you think.. like Morel and some low A guys..

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
I'm not sure Kenny wouldn't have sold off some talent if there had been a stronger market for his veterans. I mean within a few days of each other when we were way out of it we got a "open for business" report from a National reporter as well as a "very little interest" report. The market may have saved Kenny from himself.

Anyway, the White Sox's financial situation is a tricky one; we did supposedly offer Johnny Damon ~$7M at the end of the offseason, I do wonder if that money is still available as JR has hinted recently that it may be. As for the D-Backs only saving $1M by trading LaRoche now; well as I said they did just give away Conor Jackson for nothing in order to save a measly $1.5M so their financial standing appears to be a highly volatile one. And we are talking about Adam LaRoche here, not exactly a star, career .833 OPS and a current .820 OPS this would be a very nice upgrade for us (since we have a pretty terrible DH situation currently) but he's not that good of a player.

i agree. I don't get all the LaRoche lust. He's a decent player but the only way I want him is if Haren comes with him. Teahen was starting to hit when he was in jured. His return will have a similar effect of adding LaRoche and he's already on the roster. If they are going to make an addition, make it a worthwhile one.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
i agree. I don't get all the LaRoche lust. He's a decent player but the only way I want him is if Haren comes with him. Teahen was starting to hit when he was in jured. His return will have a similar effect of adding LaRoche and he's already on the roster. If they are going to make an addition, make it a worthwhile one.

Obviously adding Haren doesn't make sense for the Sox considering the prospects you'd have to give up and when the rotation has been superb lately.

Branyan would have been an interesting candidate but he got moved back to M's today for 2 minor leaguers.

The White Sox have shown they aren't as bad as they were the first 2 1/2 months of the season, but KW has to be realistic, they aren't as good as they are playing right now. Face it, 15 out of 16 doesn't happen very often. This is the team's longest winning streak in 49 years. There's going to be some regression. Like what was posted above, odds are Rios and Konerko are going to slow down a bit. Beckham and Quentin will hopefully pick it up, but is that enough? I personally think the sooner the White Sox realize they need another bat, the better. Either that or give Viciedo a shot at DHing and playing 3B when Vizquel needs to rest. Lets end the Kotsay DHing experiment. Let him play once a week.

I understand how some still love the rotating DH, but if you look at ithe numbers all the players have put up while being the DH, you would see it really hasn't worked.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
Trading him 1 month early saves about $1mil. I think it depends on how good the spects are, and White Sox mid tier spects arent good enough to convince me (if I was Arizona) to trade now, instead of taking a wait and see approach.

Conversely, the Sox would save $1mil if they dont trade till the end of the month, and I think the Sox are kind of strapped themselves.

(Edit)

Its no problem and I actually dislike it too, and was surprised that I did it, but I was just being lazy and trying to get the point across that if our GM did what people said on a message board, wed never even be here.

well 2 weeks ago, no one on the face of the earth would have imagined the sox going on a streak like this, base on their team on paper, it's a pretty bad offensive team and we were pretty much out of it. That's why some of members on this board wanted to the expiring contracts to be traded away. I think it's normal to have that notion.

If you are bashing people for being impatient and jumping on those decisions, did you envisioned a run like this? If not, I believe we would still be on those topics.

Also, when do you think the sox should make an acquisition for an offensive upgrade? Have you watch the games lately? You will see that the Sox were actually outhit in a lot of the games and somehow came up on top. They were getting 4-6 hits for the game and that will not cut it against the offensively oriented AL teams, and you can't expect the pitching to hold a 2.00 ERA on a nightly basis.

Lets be realistic here, if the sox do not make an acquisition soon for a power bat, they will get hammered when they play the Rangers and the Angels next week.

Keep in mind that the Sox aren't the only team in need of a bat like LaRoche or Berkman, other teams do too. If we wait for too long, chances are, they could be gone by then.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 05:33 AM)

LaRoche is a very nice upgrade at the DH spot for the sox, or he could be at 1B and Paulie will DH, because he is very good with the glove too.

he basically put up clean up spot type of production for the pirates and the diamondbacks the last few seasons, 25HR and 85 RBIs for those teams is pretty impressive, and by moving to the hitter friendly US Cellular, he could hit over 30HR and drive in 90-95 per season while batting .270, and plus, he only makes 4.5 mil, so he's definitely worth trading for.

As for Haren, thanks but no thanks. His ERA is ballooned at 4.65 so far this season, and over the last 3-4 years, he's been known for pitching great in the first half and falling apart in the second, if we do acquire him midseason, good luck with that. And we don't want to guess how much worse an NL west pitcher would fare after trading to the Cell

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 06:58 AM)
well 2 weeks ago, no one on the face of the earth would have imagined the sox going on a streak like this, base on their team on paper, it's a pretty bad offensive team and we were pretty much out of it. That's why some of members on this board wanted to the expiring contracts to be traded away. I think it's normal to have that notion.

If you are bashing people for being impatient and jumping on those decisions, did you envisioned a run like this? If not, I believe we would still be on those topics.

Also, when do you think the sox should make an acquisition for an offensive upgrade? Have you watch the games lately? You will see that the Sox were actually outhit in a lot of the games and somehow came up on top. They were getting 4-6 hits for the game and that will not cut it against the offensively oriented AL teams, and you can't expect the pitching to hold a 2.00 ERA on a nightly basis.

Lets be realistic here, if the sox do not make an acquisition soon for a power bat, they will get hammered when they play the Rangers and the Angels next week.

Keep in mind that the Sox aren't the only team in need of a bat like LaRoche or Berkman, other teams do too. If we wait for too long, chances are, they could be gone by then.

There's no question the Sox still need offense. After today, they are done with the NL until the WS. In this 15 out of 16 streak, they have won 6 games scoring 3 runs or less, almost the entire total of similar wins last season and this season up to that point. Moving forward, they still need to score more. The pitching staff is strong, but they aren't going to keep teams to 2 runs a game the rest of the season.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 05:33 AM)

I think I'm with you on this one. Perhaps there will be a lot less pressure on Teahen now that the team is playing so well.

BTW, when is he coming back? Seems like he's been out 6 weeks.

what's with all the teahen love now? having teahen back means our defense will suck again at third, part of the reason why we have been good lately is vizquel's defense at third. LaRoche is not a liability defensively like Teahen is, he can more than enough handle first base.

teahen is always going to be a bottom of the order hitter, will not hit over 16 HR, or be a run producer. but LaRoche could be a number 5 or 6 hitter for the sox and hitter over 30 HR while playing good defense, all that for 4.5 million/yr

also, we do not have the $$ or the 'spects to acquire a big name like AGon, if he is even available.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
what's with all the teahen love now? having teahen back means our defense will suck again at third, part of the reason why we have been good lately is vizquel's defense at third. LaRoche is not a liability defensively like Teahen is, he can more than enough handle first base.

teahen is always going to be a bottom of the order hitter, will not hit over 16 HR, or be a run producer. but LaRoche could be a number 5 or 6 hitter for the sox and hitter over 30 HR while playing good defense, all that for 4.5 million/yr

also, we do not have the $$ or the 'spects to acquire a big name like AGon, if he is even available.

Do you really want a 43-year old starting at a physically demanding position like 3B every day?

we have viceido right? though his defense is not any better than teahen's, his bat is worthwhile. I think a lot of people here want vizquel to get more playing time at third, viceido can play a few time a week. as for teahen? he will be the new jayson nix or trade his &$@#!

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)

There should be no Teahen love anywhere around here, and if you see anything even resembling Teahen love, or even Teahen sympathy, then it is your duty as an American and as a good Sox fan to snuff it out as soon as possible.

I'm definitely with you on LaRoche. He's one of those guys who will always be underrated given his place among power-hitting 1B around the league (probably middle of the pack or lower just about every year) but he does do a lot well and he is very capable of really helping our team. Why wait around hoping to surrender a ton for someone else if the DBacks have made it known that pretty much the whole team is for sale right now? LaRoche isn't going to cost what the sexy names will, plus the DBacks have great knowledge of our system and Kenny and Josh Byrnes work well together, so a deal could come together quickly. He the perfect target IMO, and if it turns out Kenny wants to make a dangerous, potential high-risk/high-reward blockbuster move like Kalapse was saying yesterday, then he can go out and do that afterwards, hopefully for an OF or another pitcher (can never have too much of that).

No one is saying that Laroche isnt a good idea, or that the Sox should be looking to pick up another hitter.

Just people tend to underestimate how much a player will cost in terms of prospects. If Laroche was available for nothing, hed most likely already have been traded. If Kenny could get him for cheap and has the green light from ownership to add salary, Im sure hell be here quickly.

But to act like Kenny needs a wake up call is just hilarious.

As for what I thought 2 weeks ago, you can probably search my posts where I said it was way to early for people to make decisions and that if I was the Sox I would take a wait and see approach until the end of June. I didnt think theyd win 11 straight, but I was pretty sure that given the schedule they could claw to about 4-5 games back and then have half a season to see what happens.

I think KW will bide his time for the moment and see how July develops. But if July rolls around and after the All Star break we are in the hunt (I have to eat a lot of crow for now because of my Doooms Day posts but it is still a long year with 3 + months left) then I really think Larouche could be an interesting candidate. He has good pop and a decent OBP and does not strike out nearly as much as Dunn, who I think is not obtainable.

The Mariners basically bought Russell Branyan from the Indians last night. They traded Ezequiel Carrera and Juan Diaz (neither is considered anywhere close to a top prospect) for Branyan and a PTBNL or cash (Branyan's '11 buyout), they got him cheaply thanks to their willingness to take on the $1.1M remaining on Branyan's deal.

That's 2 trades within a short period of time where a team gave away a decent player for next to nothing in order to save a little over a million dollars.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
The Mariners basically bought Russell Branyan from the Indians last night. They traded Ezequiel Carrera and Juan Diaz (neither is considered anywhere close to a top prospect) for Branyan and a PTBNL or cash (Branyan's '11 buyout), they got him cheaply thanks to their willingness to take on the $1.1M remaining on Branyan's deal.

That's 2 trades within a short period of time where a team gave away a decent player for next to nothing in order to save a little over a million dollars.

I'm just hoping the M's think they can replicate our recent success and hold off on trading Lee to the Twins...

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 07:06 AM)
LaRoche is a very nice upgrade at the DH spot for the sox, or he could be at 1B and Paulie will DH, because he is very good with the glove too.

he basically put up clean up spot type of production for the pirates and the diamondbacks the last few seasons, 25HR and 85 RBIs for those teams is pretty impressive, and by moving to the hitter friendly US Cellular, he could hit over 30HR and drive in 90-95 per season while batting .270, and plus, he only makes 4.5 mil, so he's definitely worth trading for.

As for Haren, thanks but no thanks. His ERA is ballooned at 4.65 so far this season, and over the last 3-4 years, he's been known for pitching great in the first half and falling apart in the second, if we do acquire him midseason, good luck with that. And we don't want to guess how much worse an NL west pitcher would fare after trading to the Cell

He's the almost the same exact pitcher he was last year. That 4.65 ERA is due to a .342 BABIP.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Seriously, people are talking about trading for a starting pitcher and aren't thinking that's overkill?

Some idiots are talking about trading Carlos Zambrano to the White Sox. Where the hell would he ever fit in?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Seriously, people are talking about trading for a starting pitcher and aren't thinking that's overkill?

I guess if they wanted to go big and bring in LaRoche and Haren, honestly despite his record I still never feel too confident with Freddy starting. That being said with the type of prospects that would cost Id almost rather just bring in Prince.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
I'm just hoping the M's think they can replicate our recent success and hold off on trading Lee to the Twins...

If it's Lee to the Twins vs. Lee to the field, I take the field. I think the Mets want him pretty bad.