Paging Kenny Williams

Real

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe about 5-10 years ago a half season rental would get you top prospects but that's not really the case anymore. Phillly wouldn't give Drabek, Brown, or Taylor for Halladay last year why should the Sox have to give up their top guys for a less valuable Dunn? I doubt Hudson, Flowers, or Viciedo would be included in a Dunn deal. I could see Morel, Torres and a younger pitcher with high potential being dealt.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 04:25 AM)
Maybe about 5-10 years ago a half season rental would get you top prospects but that's not really the case anymore. Phillly wouldn't give Drabek, Brown, or Taylor for Halladay last year why should the Sox have to give up their top guys for a less valuable Dunn? I doubt Hudson, Flowers, or Viciedo would be included in a Dunn deal. I could see Morel, Torres and a younger pitcher with high potential being dealt.

Because the Phillies caved and traded Drabek, Brown and Travis d'Arnaud for Halladay?

Rob Bryson, Zach Jackson, Matt LaPorta and Michael Brantley for CC Sabathia (7/7/08) (half season rental)

Carlos Gonzalez, Greg Smith and Huston Street for Matt Holliday (11/10/08) (full season rental)

Brett Wallace, Shane Peterson, Clayton Mortensen for Matt Holliday (7/24/09) (half season then extension)

Justin Masterson, Nick Hagadone for Victor Martinez (7/31/09) (half season then extension)

Chris Perez and Jess Todd for Mark DeRosa (6/27/09) (half season rental)

Matt LaPorta (#1 prospect, MLB:22), Carlos Gonzalez (#1 prospect, MLB:27), Brett Wallace (#2 prospect, MLB:40), Justin Masterson (#4 prospect, 2008, MLB:64), Chris Perez (#3 prospect, MLB:97)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 05:03 AM)
I can't be the only one that feels like giving up Hudson and/or Flowers for 3 months of Dunn is way too high of a price? Will Dunn be a type A FA though and cheap enough to offer arbitration to?

Yes, Dunn will be a type FA, and yes, he'll be offered arbitration. If he accepts arbitration, his $12 million/1 year salary is low enough that any other team out there needing a 1b/DH will still be happy to trade for him next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
Yes, Dunn will be a type FA, and yes, he'll be offered arbitration. If he accepts arbitration, his $12 million/1 year salary is low enough that any other team out there needing a 1b/DH will still be happy to trade for him next year.

Yeah, there's very little question that Adam Dunn will get you 2 draft picks at the end of the year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
Chase Blackwood for Prince Fielder, would you do it?

You better hope girlslikebaseballtoo#26 doesn’t wander over here from the FutureSox board. I think if she sees this post, she's going to kick you in the nuts.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
Danks1 + Danks2 + Viciedo + Santos for Fielder - would you do it?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
Danks1 is not likely to extend when he's a free agent.

Hudson would be #5 then shift to #4, while a recently released Zambrano can compete with Freddy for the #5 in 2011.

The last part being speculation of course.

I don't give a rat's ass if Danks isn't able to be extended, his value on the open market right now would net ATLEAST 2 premium prospects. He has 2 full years of service beyond this year and, assuming he doesn't fall completely off the face of the earth, he will net draft pick compensation of some form (and it will probably be Type A compensation). As such, trading for Danks right now adds 2 and a half years of full service time PLUS two top 65 draft picks in the 2013 draft. Fielder is good, but trading Danks now virtually destroys any chance the Sox have of making it to the postseason this season. Add to that fact that you would get one more year out of Danks than you would Fielder, and giving up 3 talented young players on top of it makes it asinine.

Even if you believe Danks is in the second tier of starting pitchers in the league (and I do...he's not good enough to win a Cy Young any time soon, but he's most definitely good enough to be a #1 on a playoff team and he would make for a fantastic #1b/#2 starter if there is actually another pitcher on whoever's pitching staff that truly is that good), with as much cheap service time as he has left under team control and as good as he is, he's worth a lot on the trade market right now. He's also worth a lot to the White Sox too.

Beyond that, I strongly doubt the Cubs have the $36 million on hand that it would take to give Carlos Zambrano his outright release. If anything, the Cubs would have to get creative and eat 2-3 bad contracts from a high payroll team to trade Zambrano, because releasing him doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
Beyond that, I strongly doubt the Cubs have the $36 million on hand that it would take to give Carlos Zambrano his outright release. If anything, the Cubs would have to get creative and eat 2-3 bad contracts from a high payroll team to trade Zambrano, because releasing him doesn't make sense.

No kidding. Hell, they'll probably have to eat some of that contract as well, but they're not DFAing him and eating the rest of that deal. Especially after they were able to unload Bradley.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
I don't give a rat's ass if Danks isn't able to be extended, his value on the open market right now would net ATLEAST 2 premium prospects. He has 2 full years of service beyond this year and, assuming he doesn't fall completely off the face of the earth, he will net draft pick compensation of some form (and it will probably be Type A compensation). As such, trading for Danks right now adds 2 and a half years of full service time PLUS two top 65 draft picks in the 2013 draft. Fielder is good, but trading Danks now virtually destroys any chance the Sox have of making it to the postseason this season. Add to that fact that you would get one more year out of Danks than you would Fielder, and giving up 3 talented young players on top of it makes it asinine.

Preach.