Jared Price Traded

DGSOXFan14

QUOTE (DGSOXFan14 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 06:09 AM)
I just saw this on MLBTR and just thought id share it. I have no clue who that is or if anyone really was concerned about this or posted it somewhere else but yea feel free to move this or whatever...

Jared Price Traded to A's

He is a workhorse catcher and an organizational guy. He was with B'ham from 2008 up until now. Really nice guy and a dedicated community service participant.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)
maybe B'ham needed a refrigerator... hard to imagine they could get anything significant for him.

He has been in the Minor league system for like 11-12 years (something like that) ..I think that has a lot to say about his character. It takes a strong man, one dedicated to his game, to stick in there like that, not get frustrated and quit. I give props to Price.

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
He has been in the Minor league system for like 11-12 years (something like that) ..I think that has a lot to say about his character. It takes a strong man, one dedicated to his game, to stick in there like that, not get frustrated and quit. I give props to Price.

Right, I love career minor leaguers because they are the players you know who truly love the game they play and ontop of that everyone who is in the wsox organization Im a fan even if some give me headaches(Kotsay.....)

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
Right, I love career minor leaguers because they are the players you know who truly love the game they play and ontop of that everyone who is in the wsox organization Im a fan even if some give me headaches(Kotsay.....)

He's actually getting a better opportunity with Oakland, he's been assigned to their AAA team.

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
They don't get paid that much! You would barely survive if that was your only income.

What does Chase do or going to do for income in the offseason? Has he ever considered playing winter ball in Latin America or South America in the future?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
What does Chase do or going to do for income in the offseason? Has he ever considered playing winter ball in Latin America or South America in the future?

He works with kids in the community on Baseball. He refs Basketball games at the local rec. center ..just things like that.

He is too much of a family guy to ever spend his whole year playing Baseball. Although he loves the game , it's not the most important thing in his life!!

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
They don't get paid that much! You would barely survive if that was your only income.

I realize that, and I have no problem making at least around $50,000-$60,000 (I believe the minimum in AAA is $60,000) for playing baseball half of my year, and spend the other half doing real work.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
I realize that, and I have no problem making at least around $50,000-$60,000 (I believe the minimum in AAA is $60,000) for playing baseball half of my year, and spend the other half doing real work.

That's AAA .. I don't know if Price has ever been in triple A before now ..that's 11-12 years of making $800-$900 biweekly, during Baseball season.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
Believe me, I'd get by.

I think you are being pretty naive.

In addition, the minimum salary isn't 60K. It is anywhere from 2 to 3K a month (for the period you are playing) to what the minor league free agents get or guys who have already played at the major league level get. And it is those guys that are minor league free agents (typically those guys are AAAA type players who might make a decent living).

Still, it takes a pretty rare player to earn 60K a year in AAA. And it ain't easy to go find some other random job to make a decent living. These guys have it pretty rough.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)

In addition, the minimum salary isn't 60K. It is anywhere from 2 to 3K a month (for the period you are playing) to what the minor league free agents get or guys who have already played at the major league level get. And it is those guys that are minor league free agents (typically those guys are AAAA type players who might make a decent living).

Still, it takes a pretty rare player to earn 60K a year in AAA. And it ain't easy to go find some other random job to make a decent living. These guys have it pretty rough.

My thoughts exactly!!! Thank you!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)

Believe me, I love baseball enough to rough it out.

QUOTE (NHDadUmp-RI @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
Accurate. Sounds like another parent of a player chasing the dream. Good luck to all of them!!

Completely agree. As a fan, a former player (albeit never past high school, lol) and a guy who has a few friends that have played in the minors, I wish and cheer for every guy to eventually make it. They go through a lot for the love of the game and a chance to "make it". And it isn't a glamorous life style. Baseball really is nothing like the NFL/NBA where by and large you get drafted directly to the "show", in baseball, 1st round or 50th round you got to earn it. A 1st round pick will get more opportunities, but at the end of the day, the guys that want it, have a shot at it.

People sold Buehrle short, Pedroia short (albeit he was drafted high), Pujols wasn't a top 10 round pick, Piazza went in a round that dosen't even exist anymore, etc, etc.

Maybe Chase can be our Piazza :)

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)

What about players with girlfriends, fiancees, wives, and even families? Love of baseball doesn't pay the bills, and you're still traveling all the time even though you get minor league pay. It's a pretty tough lifestyle, and I really commend the players who can do it despite being underdog shots to ever even make it to the show.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Completely agree. As a fan, a former player (albeit never past high school, lol) and a guy who has a few friends that have played in the minors, I wish and cheer for every guy to eventually make it.

Ditto.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
What about players with girlfriends, fiancees, wives, and even families? Love of baseball doesn't pay the bills, and you're still traveling all the time even though you get minor league pay. It's a pretty tough lifestyle, and I really commend the players who can do it despite being underdog shots to ever even make it to the show.

It's definitely not easy.

It takes A LOT of communication, trust and love to make it work ..being the fiancee of a player isn't easy. Knowing alllll those girls are not only willing to get with your man, but that they would do anything just to do it ..it's hard, but Chase makes it easier for me ..he doesn't drink, or party and if an ant crosses the sidewalk beside him and it's female ..he tells me about it! lol ..He doesn't like being away from me any more than I like him to be gone, but Baseball has been a part of his life longer than I have and I'll be damned if he's not going to see this thing through to however far it takes him. I have to support him NO MATTER WHAT.

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
It's definitely not easy.

It takes A LOT of communication, trust and love to make it work ..being the fiancee of a player isn't easy. Knowing alllll those girls are not only willing to get with your man, but that they would do anything just to do it ..it's hard, but Chase makes it easier for me ..he doesn't drink, or party and if an ant crosses the sidewalk beside him and it's female ..he tells me about it! lol ..He doesn't like being away from me any more than I like him to be gone, but Baseball has been a part of his life longer than I have and I'll be damned if he's not going to see this thing through to however far it takes him. I have to support him NO MATTER WHAT.

This is f***ing awesome. You are f***ing awesome. Chase is f***ing awesome. Baseball is f***ing awesome.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)

Gimmee a break. You're 19 and never had a real job. I've got shoes older than you.

Nice to be idealistic and say what you'd think you'd do.

But the commitment some of these minor leaguers make to hang in there for years that you blow off as being so easy is HUGE.