Jenks could miss a week, on bereavement list

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
According to the Trib, Bobby is attending to a family matter, and could be placed on the bereavement list for as long as a week. That would mean a call up from the minors would happen.

Any ideas on what happened? Hopefully he doesn't miss a week. Who would be the logical call up?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
Thornton did not look particularly comfortable in the 9th last night so hopefully Bobby comes back soon.

In all fairness, he did face 3 pretty good righthander power hitters, which is a little bit out of the norm for him. But right now, I want Putz as the closer. He is throwing some serious heat(last night staying at 97-98 with his FB) and his splitter is just diving. If it were up to me, Santos and Thornton would get the 8th, Pena the 7th, and let Putz close. Hopefully Williams and Linebrink are not necessary

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
Any ideas on what happened? Hopefully he doesn't miss a week. Who would be the logical call up?

Bereavement leave is normally when a family member passes away, isnt it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:45 AM)
I am pretty sure the gun was about 2 mph fast last night. I haven't seen Garcia hit 91 consistantly, nor have I seen Thornton hitting 99, and Putz 98.

that still puts Putz at a consistent 95-96, and I will take that with his control and breaking pitches. And I want to say, Garcia looked like he had extra life on his fastball last night, I wasnt surprised when it said 91 because the first thing I thought when I saw him throwing a fastball was "damn, Freddy looks like he has a little extra tonite"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
In all fairness, he did face 3 pretty good righthander power hitters, which is a little bit out of the norm for him. But right now, I want Putz as the closer. He is throwing some serious heat(last night staying at 97-98 with his FB) and his splitter is just diving. If it were up to me, Santos and Thornton would get the 8th, Pena the 7th, and let Putz close. Hopefully Williams and Linebrink are not necessary

Yes it is. Just was wondering if it was a very close family member because missing a whole week seems a bit much...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)

Personally -- and I could be totally wrong on this, but I have a feeling -- I think the reason Jenks has been our closer for the last year or so is because Ozzie has caught on to something that most people outside baseball's inner circle have been thinking for a while now: limiting your best relief pitcher to one particular inning (that may not be the most important) isn't a very good idea. I think it's pretty objectively clear that Thornton has been better than Jenks for years now, and I think Ozzie knows that, but he hasn't made the change. Same thing with Putz this year. There are a lot of factors that go into deciding who the closer is (e.g. if he put Thornton in that role he'd have only one lefty in normal situations...which actually ties into what I'm saying, but isn't the same thing), but I think most importantly, Ozzie's gotten attached to the idea of having a roving killer like Thornton/Putz who can quell any hitter at any time instead of having his best pitcher in the strictly regimented role of closer.

Again, I could be totally wrong, but if I was managing, I'd say screw closers entirely because I want my best relief pitcher available in the 7th if that's what it comes to.

So I hope while Bobby's gone, we don't make anyone the "closer". See how that works out. I actually do like Bobby a lot and have not been as hard on him as others the past season or so, but I wouldn't make the argument that he's our best or most valuable reliever.

Also, I hope his family's okay.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
Docsox said Threets was being called up a few days ago though I didn't see him name his source.

sorry i cant name the source. its solid though

You go closer by matchup, no need to to set aside one of your 2 remaining dominant relievers to only work an inning that may never come. The most important 3 outs of the game often come before the 9th, it would make no sense to make 1 of Thornton, Putz or Pena unavailable for those big time situations just because popular opinion says you need a set closer.

I for one am perfectly happy with how Ozzie has handled the pen lately. I agree with Scotty and Kal, Jenks seems to have the mentality to finish a reasonably close game recently, and that allows us to use Putz and Thornton in the high-leverage situations.

Our pen is really kicking ass and taking names recently.

Although Qwerty's recent posts on Santos rained on my parade a bit...

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
Personally -- and I could be totally wrong on this, but I have a feeling -- I think the reason Jenks has been our closer for the last year or so is because Ozzie has caught on to something that most people outside baseball's inner circle have been thinking for a while now: limiting your best relief pitcher to one particular inning (that may not be the most important) isn't a very good idea. I think it's pretty objectively clear that Thornton has been better than Jenks for years now, and I think Ozzie knows that, but he hasn't made the change. Same thing with Putz this year. There are a lot of factors that go into deciding who the closer is (e.g. if he put Thornton in that role he'd have only one lefty in normal situations...which actually ties into what I'm saying, but isn't the same thing), but I think most importantly, Ozzie's gotten attached to the idea of having a roving killer like Thornton/Putz who can quell any hitter at any time instead of having his best pitcher in the strictly regimented role of closer.

Again, I could be totally wrong, but if I was managing, I'd say screw closers entirely because I want my best relief pitcher available in the 7th if that's what it comes to.

So I hope while Bobby's gone, we don't make anyone the "closer". See how that works out. I actually do like Bobby a lot and have not been as hard on him as others the past season or so, but I wouldn't make the argument that he's our best or most valuable reliever.

Also, I hope his family's okay.

+1,000 to this

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
He must have been on something that's not illegal then. :)

Yeah, pitchFX had him sitting at 98 last night (Putz average fastball at 94.4, Garcia at 88, Cashner at 97.24) and topping out at 99.3, that's pretty f***ing hard even for Matt Thornton and I really don't think it's a good thing.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
Yeah, pitchFX had him sitting at 98 last night (Putz average fastball at 94.4, Garcia at 88, Cashner at 97.24) and topping out at 99.3, that's pretty f***ing hard even for Matt Thornton and I really don't think it's a good thing.

The thing about Matt is he is such a smooth 96-97. So effortless.

It bothers me if he appeared to be actually trying to throw hard or throw harder.

I hope the elbow isn't causing him to try and overcompensate.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
The thing about Matt is he is such a smooth 96-97. So effortless.

It bothers me if he appeared to be actually trying to throw hard or throw harder.

I hope the elbow isn't causing him to try and overcompensate.

My guess would be he's putting a little extra behind it because of the whole closer cliche. People equate velocity with ability to close. Even the most educated baseball circles (i.e. Soxtalk) are guilty of that on occasion -- see: The 4th Annual April Jenks Panic. I'd be surprised if a little bit of that mentality didn't rub off on a reliever like Thornton.

Hopefully he settles down because 96-97 + pinpoint accuracy >>>>>>> 98-99 + diminished control. I think we all know that.