Zambrano worth the risk?

TylerAtIU

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 07:59 AM)
If he was costing us $2 million a year, and it didn't cost us anything I cared about to get him, I'd do it. Nothing more. I wouldn't care about that buyout if he melted down again.

Even at $2M a year, no thanks. He's a worse pitcher (attitude aside) right now than any of our starting staff, and he's only better than Williams and Linebrink in the pen. So the only place he'd be of use is basically to take Linebrink's spot, and be a long and mop-up reliever. And while that has value, it doesn't have enough value to outweigh all the baggage he brings. So, really, I'm just sticking with No Thank You.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
Even at $2M a year, no thanks. He's a worse pitcher (attitude aside) right now than any of our starting staff, and he's only better than Williams and Linebrink in the pen. So the only place he'd be of use is basically to take Linebrink's spot, and be a long and mop-up reliever. And while that has value, it doesn't have enough value to outweigh all the baggage he brings. So, really, I'm just sticking with No Thank You.

On the off chance that working with Ozzie/Cooper could rehabilitate him, if I had Ozzie's word that he'd stay under control, I'd do it, because if you could get him back to at least solid setup man form, worst case scenario you've got trade bait, and if you're moving Linebrink to get him, then basically you're at equal numbers on salary, such that if h e did melt down your not taking a hit you wouldn't be taking anyway. That's my limit though. I'd take him when risking essentially nothing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
On the off chance that working with Ozzie/Cooper could rehabilitate him, if I had Ozzie's word that he'd stay under control, I'd do it, because if you could get him back to at least solid setup man form, worst case scenario you've got trade bait, and if you're moving Linebrink to get him, then basically you're at equal numbers on salary, such that if h e did melt down your not taking a hit you wouldn't be taking anyway. That's my limit though. I'd take him when risking essentially nothing.

You're not risking nothing. Think about it - he's Ozzie's bud. There is a strong chance that Zambrano has issues with people in the clubhouse, and/or has some major meltdown. A sane manager would, at that point, get rid of him. But I'm fairly sure that Ozzie wouldn't - he'd keep him, much to the dismay of some on the team. Cooper has already said "that asshole isn't pitching here".

Even if the money is even in sending over Linebrink, you are definitely risking a lot.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
Plus there is no place for Zambrano. He would not start for us right now, nor would he unseat Jenks, Thornton, Putz, Pena or Santos in the pen. I'd have a problem making such a deal for a long reliever.

Plus, don't be so ready to give up on Teahen after a bad couple of months.

Plus why are we giving up 4 players for an inconsistent and kind of crazy pitcher? Now Linebrink or Williams for Carlos Z maybe, but at this point I think Linebrink might be coming back around. Zambrano not so much

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
Plus why are we giving up 4 players for an inconsistent and kind of crazy pitcher? Now Linebrink or Williams for Carlos Z maybe, but at this point I think Linebrink might be coming back around. Zambrano not so much

I don't think yesterday's outing means much, this is the same guy with the 9 ERA, 2 WHIP and 4 HR in 7 June innings.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
Don't be so sure.

You actually think that Kenny is considering picking up the $45M tab on a clubhouse cancer nutcase whose skills have been gradually eroding over the past 5 years, and now is at the point where he's been demoted to the 'pen? Even if the Cubs eat half of his remaining contract, it's still a ridiculously-bad move.

Edited by WCSox

You said it all, WC Sox. That's all that needs to be said about that topic. Spot on. Zambrano is an average to below average pitcher who makes way too much money. Nobody with a brain will want that guy even if they only have to pay 5 or 6 mill for him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just couldn't believe how badly he pitched against us before his ejection.

He was horrible.

And obviously he was horrible before that since he got demoted to the bullpen. I just don't think he's very good and when he's not very good he's also apparently a cancer.

I'd pass on this guy at all costs unless Cubs pay all but 1 million of the contract. Even then his pitches still will scream, "HIT ME."