6/28 Games

flavum

QUOTE (goblue5699 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
Morel is 3/4 today, average up to .250 now.

Apparently both Charlotte and Buffalo forgot how to pitch today. Alot of players had monster games.

My sleeper prospect Gallagher the last 10 games: .345/.558/.517/1.075 13:3 BB/SO ratio.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
Don't get too excited there, Ace.

Well I'm soured on him enough as a prospect on potential alone, but thought he would be a nice sleeper to have a big year, then move on to AAA and perhaps trade bait. Whats going on over there John? pitching around him in a weak lineup?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:30 AM)
De Aza has been ridiculous since returning from the DL.

Hell, I wonder if he'd be a better option to DH right now...

There are several minor leaguers who would be a better option to dh right now than what the major league club is currently offering, IMHO. I would be all for bringing up De Aza and DFA'ing Jiones. But if they aren't going to dh Viciedo I would doubt that they would bring anyone up to dh.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
Well I'm soured on him enough as a prospect on potential alone, but thought he would be a nice sleeper to have a big year, then move on to AAA and perhaps trade bait. Whats going on over there John? pitching around him in a weak lineup?

Don't get me wrong, I like Jim Gallagher a lot. He's one of the hardest workers on the team and I can tell he loves baseball. He's taking more pitches, which I think is accounting for his escalated walk rate.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
There are several minor leaguers who would be a better option to dh right now than what the major league club is currently offering, IMHO. I would be all for bringing up De Aza and DFA'ing Jiones. But if they aren't going to dh Viciedo I would doubt that they would bring anyone up to dh.

De Aza may have value for this team eventually, as a 4th OF most likely. But you do not DFA Andruw Jones for Alejandro De Aza.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
You say that like a .361 average and .395 OBP is a bad thing.

Actually, that is a pretty bad thing when you've struck out 11 times, because that means you haven't walked a lot and a lot of the balls you've put in play have landed for hits (aka high BABIP stretch).

OK... whatever.

He's gotten on base in 8 of his last 10 games.

It appears he's making better contact.

Just seems like something people should feel good about...

Rather than look for yet another reason to pan him.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:12 AM)
OK... whatever.

He's gotten on base in 8 of his last 10 games.

It appears he's making better contact.

Just seems like something people should feel good about...

Rather than look for yet another reason to pan him.

Getting strong core results is a good sign, but how often a minor league hitter strikes out is a very good predictor of future success. And his K rate is just far too high. I'd like to see him bring it down a lot, and repeat AAA next year with that lower rate, before I get excited about him being a future starter in the majors.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
I really wasn't trying to read too much into it...

I was just pointing out that he was hitting better lately.

May was a lousy month for him. June has been much better and closer to what he did in April.

May K-rate (I am using K/AB here): 37.4%

June K-rate: 30.8%

So his K rate is down as well, and that's good, but 30% is still pretty high for anyone other than a huge power/OBP guy in AAA. Improvement is good though.