Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
This is not an argument by any means, but do you think Dunn would sign for "only" $36 million? If so, I'd have no problem with your hypothesis.

Dunn is in the second tier when it comes to 1Bman. As such, I don't think he really has the ability to command a deal for much more than that on the open market.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Some of you guys who know the trades/Sox transactions better than I do could list a pretty good team we could field of guys we traded, let go.

And yes I thought Wise was a great final player on the roster. He's way better that this year's final player on the roster, Lilly.

In all actuality, this really isn't the case. There are a few guys who have been up and down and decent at times, but for a lot of these guys you have to go back to the middle or early part of the 00s decade. I mean, sure, it'd be nice to have Matt Guerrier in the Sox bullpen, but considering the 3 good years the Sox got out of Damaso Marte, I don't think you can complain.

The Sox have historically "won" most of the trades they have made, even if they gave up what appeared to be more value at the time. Arguing that the Sox shouldn't deal players because of the quality that they have traded is arguing just so you can be pissed about something.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
he got 2/20 last time, I don't think the market has shifted so drastically back to the players side that he should expect that big of a contract (meaning the 3 year deal listed above, I imagine the 2/20 is realistic), although I am saying this without looking at who else is a FA, last time there was at least Abreu, Ibanez, Bradley and Dunn on the market at the same time.

good call. the market hasn't changed much at all. So a 3 year extension at 10 mil per is very reasonable. As far as 1B goes, I can see Konerko signing a 3 year extension for about 21 mil to stay. Lets face it, Viciedo is more of a 3B than a 1B. I think Flowers will replace AJ next year now doubt.

You figure you lose about 28 million in contracts next year. If you add Dunn @ 10 mil, Konerko @ 7 and raises to the other guys while re-signing Putz- your pretty much at even.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
good call. the market hasn't changed much at all. So a 3 year extension at 10 mil per is very reasonable. As far as 1B goes, I can see Konerko signing a 3 year extension for about 21 mil to stay. Lets face it, Viciedo is more of a 3B than a 1B. I think Flowers will replace AJ next year now doubt.

You figure you lose about 28 million in contracts next year. If you add Dunn @ 10 mil, Konerko @ 7 and raises to the other guys while re-signing Putz- your pretty much at even.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=2190704

I could say a team of former Sox wouldn't be bad.

I'll start with Maggs, Carlos Lee, Garland, Swisher (god I hated him on our team), Olivo, Pods, Thome, Aardsma, Gio, Young. I'm sure there are a ton more.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)

You're pretty much adding $5 million or so in salary in that case, once you take into account arbitration for D1 and Q.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)

I'll start with Maggs, Carlos Lee, Garland, Swisher (god I hated him on our team), Olivo, Pods, Thome, Aardsma, Gio, Young. I'm sure there are a ton more.

That team REALLY sucks.

Simply talking about a player that was on the Sox and then left is a completely different story. You can pretty much do that with every franchise in the game then greg.

There was actually a website that did make all decade teams (or all 5 year teams, or something to that extent) using only players developed by that team during the time frame or that are still in baseball...I don't remember the exact specifications. I'm pretty sure the Sox were like second to last, and the author commended Kenny Williams on producing such quality products over the decade when being dealt a hand of virtual s***.

I thought you meant prospects.

Well, that's fine, but you've got Carlos Lee and Pods both listed, and Lee was traded for Pods. So, you can't null a trade and get them both back. I know what you're getting at, but like someone else said, the Sox have done well with most trades.

Recap: Dunn has stated in the past that he wants to stay in the NL, wants to stay in Washington, Cowley doesn't see Hudson being a piece for a 3 month rental. Sees Andruw being the odd-man out (released/traded). Says Dunn might want to play 1B (....), doesn't think there will be many teams in the offseason willing to offer Dunn mucho dollars

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
Recap: Dunn has stated in the past that he wants to stay in the NL, wants to stay in Washington, Cowley doesn't see Hudson being a piece for a 3 month rental. Sees Andruw being the odd-man out (released/traded). Says Dunn might want to play 1B (....), doesn't think there will be many teams in the offseason willing to offer Dunn mucho dollars

I think part of the recent spark in Dunn discussions has been the Nats were talking extension with him and it completely fell through, and he could always resign with them in the off-season.

Another trade that was speculated about and then reported prematurely was the Hal McCoy one about Dye for Homer Bailey.

The Garland/Erstad one as well, when it became obvious that the Disney/Cap Cities group felt that Erstad was one of their core marketing omponents and didn't want to part with him.

Or Garland to the Astros for Taveras and 2-3 pitchers that have never amounted to much

For former prospects team:

Brandon Allen or Chris Carter 1B/DH

Getz 2B

Andy Gonzalez SS (just kidding)

Fields 3B

Ryan Sweeney, Chris Young, Aaron Rowand, Br. Anderson OF

John Ely, Gio Gonzalez, Frank Francisco, Matt Guerrier, Jon Rauch, Charlie Haeger, Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, Russell

Actually, in terms of major leaguers produced from the Sox system, we rank somewhere around 15-20 in baseball, but in terms of true "impact players" or All-Stars, probably somewhere in the 23-27 range I would guess over the last decade compared to other organizations.

Of course things look a LOT different if you just included players who at ONE POINT played for the White Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
Pardon me if this was mentioned already but does Dunn have a no trade clause?

He doesn't have one from what I can see.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/w...tionals_01.html

If we acquire him now, we'd be on the hook for about $6 million left on his deal. If he produces at his projected rate (a .400 wOBA at DH), he is worth 2.5 wins, which is about $8 million in value. We also get at least two picks for him, that's $10 million in return in terms of value. Hudson alone is worth at least $10-$12 million being the type of prospect he is. The second prospect we give up as well as the throw-ins can be worth around $6 million.

So by making such a deal we must spend/give away at least $24 million. In return, we get back $18 million in production and prospects. We're going to lose at least $6 million in this deal.

Good job Ozzie, not wanting Thome is going to screw us out of prospects and money.

Edited by chw42