Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
I'd keep Hudson simply because I don't think Sale will be a starter. He might be an option in the bullpen next year but Hudson could be a part of the rotation.

Give them Flowers, Morel + A prospect they like.

I'd think that Flowers has more value to this organization right now than Hudson. It's not going to be too difficult to find a cheap #5 starter on the FA market this winter. But we're definitely going to need a catcher in March, and a guy who's young, cheap for the next 6 years, and has Flowers' power aren't easy to come by.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
I'm not going to read 16 pages, so I'm going to just join in the thread.

This would be a f***ing great move.

But if we lose this series to the Royals...well, I just don't know what to think.

It's a great move to trade Flowers and Hudson for Dunn, but only if we win 2/3 against the Royals as opposed to 1/3...so we're going to base our decision on giving up 12 years of service time for 4 months based on potentially 1 game against the Royals?

Makes perfect sense...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
Obviously it depends on how deep in the playoffs you go.

My guess is each game is worth $2-3 million in cash.

Not sure how the playoff media revenues work.

Then there is the additional season ticket sales you make the next year.

My guess is a playoff appearance can be worth upwards of $30-40 million if you win the whole thing. Maybe $6-10 million if you go out in the ALDS. Probably $14-20 Million if you go out in the ALCS. And $20-30 million if you lose in the World Series.

Look at in this order.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?opt...s&Itemid=39

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?opt...s&Itemid=39

Why am I the only Sox fan that wants absolutely no part of Adam Dunn. I feel like it's an insult to our fan base trading for him when we could have signed Thome this offseason. My wish list is Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez... I know that is unrealistic, but I'm thinking long term contending

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
Why am I the only Sox fan that wants absolutely no part of Adam Dunn. I feel like it's an insult to our fan base trading for him when we could have signed Thome this offseason. My wish list is Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez... I know that is unrealistic, but I'm thinking long term contending

Agreed with the bolded part.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)

I'm not real fond of the idea either.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)

I agree, but at this point we can't just sit here w/ Kotsay and kick dirt around hoping we had Thome.

Why is it an insult to the fanbase?? Dunn is better than Thome.

And yes, better players tend to cost more. Dunn costs more than what it wouldve taken to sign Thome (peanuts)

That much, yes, is true; Thome is a bargain. But that isnt to say he puts your everyday lefthanded slugger role at a championship level like Dunn would.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
Why is it an insult to the fanbase?? Dunn is better than Thome.

And yes, better players tend to cost more. Dunn costs more than what it wouldve taken to sign Thome (peanuts)

That much, yes, is true; Thome is a bargain. But that isnt to say he puts your everyday lefthanded slugger role at a championship level like Dunn would.

Thome .951 OPS

Dunn .909 OPS (in the NL)

Dunn currently has a 146 OPS+ in 314 PA. Thome has 148 OPS+ in 137 PA this season. Granted, Dunn is young enough to be in the lineup every day and he can play 1B without killing himself. But the point still stands that we could've avoided spending an extra $4.5M and giving up two of our better prospects by re-upping the older, more fragile player with similar offensive output.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Dunn currently has a 146 OPS+ in 314 PA. Thome has 148 OPS+ in 137 PA this season. Granted, Dunn is young enough to be in the lineup every day and he can play 1B without killing himself. But the point still stands that we could've avoided spending an extra $4.5M and giving up two of our better prospects by re-upping the older, more fragile player with similar offensive output.

The extra $4.5 mil for just half a season.

and Thome hit another home run tonight......for the team leading our division.

It was the ultimate no-brainer, and Ozzie proved himself to be just that.

"I never tell Kenny who to sign and who to release - well a couple guys to release. I told Kenny, 'Hey, I don't want this guy at the ballpark.' And there's one guy where I said to Kenny, 'Hey, can we keep this guy?' And that was Kotsay.''

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/12...er_talk_fr.html