Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

While it is not going to happen (unfortunately) we could upgrade the team a LOT more by adding a solid defensive right fielder and moving Quentin to DH, than by just adding Dunn (or Laroche, Berkman, Scott).

quote]

Corey Hart :headbang

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Royals series, for me, highlighted just how important one added bat could be for this team. We lost a close game where we had the tying runner on base, twice, late. Lost another one by one run, and again were threatening. Having one significantly improved bat could very well have made the difference in winning one of those, and 2/3 looks way better than 1/3.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 06:01 AM)
Corey Hart :headbang

I like Corey Hart, and him in right and Q at DH would be an improvement. But I think Hart is hitting way over his head and will come back to earth, plus he's a righty. And the Brewers said they don't plan to be sellers.

If we got a right-handed bat, I'd prefer Willingham.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
I like Corey Hart, and him in right and Q at DH would be an improvement. But I think Hart is hitting way over his head and will come back to earth, plus he's a righty. And the Brewers said they don't plan to be sellers

Yep, that's the main reason I don't want Kenny to look into Hart. I think whatever we trade would be more than what he is going to be worth in the future.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
I like Corey Hart, and him in right and Q at DH would be an improvement. But I think Hart is hitting way over his head and will come back to earth, plus he's a righty. And the Brewers said they don't plan to be sellers.

If we got a right-handed bat, I'd prefer Willingham.

I think he is way over his head too. Plus hes a bad defender.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
While it is not going to happen (unfortunately) we could upgrade the team a LOT more by adding a solid defensive right fielder and moving Quentin to DH, than by just adding Dunn (or Laroche, Berkman, Scott).

By Fangraphs numbers, David Dejesus would be an improvement of 14.5 runs on defense compared to Quentin. Add in that he's just been 1.4 runs less valuable than Dunn on offense this year, and that's a glaringly better target, and a lot cheaper. There is very little chance of Quentin being moved to DH.

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the 15 run difference. Would DeJesus provide more range, sure. But he is far from a graceful OF himself and is not that good at judging fly balls and taking good routes. And, as already mentioned, his arm is lacking.

I agree that DeJesus probably would save more runs than Quentin due to the fact he has more range and thus cut down on some doubles. But I don't see it being that much of a difference, based on other things:

Range = DeJesus

Arm = Quentin

Reads = Quentin

Routes = Quentin

If Quentin was actually making good throws and holding runners, I'd probably prefer him in RF this season over DeJesus. However, Quentin, while his arm is stronger, hasn't made enough solid throws and assists from the OF for me to prefer him.

However, it would be nice to have a defensive stud in RF.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the 15 run difference. Would DeJesus provide more range, sure. But he is far from a graceful OF himself and is not that good at judging fly balls and taking good routes. And, as already mentioned, his arm is lacking.

I agree that DeJesus probably would save more runs than Quentin due to the fact he has more range and thus cut down on some doubles. But I don't see it being that much of a difference, based on other things:

Range = DeJesus

Arm = Quentin

Reads = Quentin

Routes = Quentin

If Quentin was actually making good throws and holding runners, I'd probably prefer him in RF this season over DeJesus. However, Quentin, while his arm is stronger, hasn't made enough solid throws and assists from the OF for me to prefer him.

However, it would be nice to have a defensive stud in RF.

Quentin doesn't get great reads or run the best routes, that's part of why his range sucks.

Range ratings are the combination of speed, reads, and route running, they all lend a hand in the equation.

And what's all this crap about DeJesus having a terrible arm, it's not even bad...

UZR ARM Rating has him as a +6.1 over his career. He has a slightly below average arm for a center fielder and a right fielder, but he has a very good left fielder's arm.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
Quentin doesn't get great reads or run the best routes, that's part of why his range sucks.

Range ratings are the combination of speed, reads, and route running, they all lend a hand in the equation.

And what's all this crap about DeJesus having a terrible arm, it's not even bad...

UZR ARM Rating has him as a +6.1 over his career. He has a slightly below average arm for a center fielder and a right fielder, but he has a very good left fielder's arm.

Oh, I know Quentin is no master at reads or routes either. But from what I've seen, Quentin is better at getting good reads and takes better routes than DeJesus. But DeJesus makes up for that and some with his speed.

And his arm is well below average, especially for RF.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Oh, I know Quentin is no master at reads or routes either. But from what I've seen, Quentin is better at getting good reads and takes better routes than DeJesus. But DeJesus makes up for that and some with his speed.

And his arm is well below average, especially for RF.

Accuracy also counts. Carlos might have a good arm, but he's inaccurate as hell.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Accuracy also counts. Carlos might have a good arm, but he's inaccurate as hell.

I know, as I mentioned already. Like I said, I'd probably prefer Quentin over DeJesus in RF if Quentin was making good throws and used his arm as a threat. However, Quentin doesn't come close to hitting his targets half the time.

We could really use a RF with a ton of range and a canon arm, we haven't had one for a while.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
I know, as I mentioned already. Like I said, I'd probably prefer Quentin over DeJesus in RF if Quentin was making good throws and used his arm as a threat. However, Quentin doesn't come close to hitting his targets half the time.

We could really use a RF with a ton of range and a canon arm, we haven't had one for a while.

Most players with this skill set play CF. Ichiro is the obvious exception.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
Not that their opinion has any bearing, but here's Fangraphs on what LaRoche would likely cost:

"Because his numbers have taken a dip since his strong April, Arizona will likely have to take a B- or C-level prospect for LaRoche."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/t...deserve-a-shot/

Less that what I expected.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
I'd STILL take Ichiro even though he's almost 40. Ichiro RULES.

I got a sneaky suspicion that LaRoche will be here by the end of next week.

I hope your Spidey senses are right.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
There is? I'd like to see this list. Only guys that come to mind for me are Nick Markakis and Hunter Pence. And even those two don't have what I'd call great range.

Just from the top of the head, don't hold me to these names as I am going off of memory and throwing out possibilities.

-Ichiro Suzuki (already mentioned)

-Nick Markakis (already mentioned)

-Hunter Pence (already mentioned)

-J.D. Drew (at least in his younger, healthier days he was a stud)

-Ryan Sweeney (plays a great corner OF and a solid CF)

-Shin-Soo Choo (great arm, solid range)

-Justin Upton (Freak)

-Andre Ethier (Great arm, unsure about his range though. Probably better than Dye and Quentin though, but thats not saying much)

-Jayson Werth (Pretty sure he has good range, not sure about his arm though)

-Jay Bruce (Good range I think and solid arm)

-Rick Ainkiel (when healthy, great athlete)

-Carlos Gonzalez (not sure about arm, but I believe he has great range)

-Jeff Francouer (great arm, probably lacking in range)

-Brad Hawpe (not certain on this one, but IIRC, he has a great arm and pretty good range)

-Tyler Colvin (seems to be a very solid corner outfielder)

-Jason Heyward (stud)

And there are some CF's who could fit into this equation as well. If we got our hands on a STUD CF, we could move our very own very good CF in Alex Rios back to RF where he was likely one of the best in the league. Nate McLouth is mediocre in CF, but would likely be at least above average in RF.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
Just from the top of the head, don't hold me to these names as I am going off of memory and throwing out possibilities.

-Ichiro Suzuki (already mentioned)

-Nick Markakis (already mentioned)

-Hunter Pence (already mentioned)

-J.D. Drew (at least in his younger, healthier days he was a stud)

-Ryan Sweeney (plays a great corner OF and a solid CF)

-Shin-Soo Choo (great arm, solid range)

-Justin Upton (Freak)

-Andre Ethier (Great arm, unsure about his range though. Probably better than Dye and Quentin though, but thats not saying much)

-Jayson Werth (Pretty sure he has good range, not sure about his arm though)

-Jay Bruce (Good range I think and solid arm)

-Rick Ainkiel (when healthy, great athlete)

-Carlos Gonzalez (not sure about arm, but I believe he has great range)

-Jeff Francouer (great arm, probably lacking in range)

-Brad Hawpe (not certain on this one, but IIRC, he has a great arm and pretty good range)

-Tyler Colvin (seems to be a very solid corner outfielder)

-Jason Heyward (stud)

And there are some CF's who could fit into this equation as well. If we got our hands on a STUD CF, we could move our very own very good CF in Alex Rios back to RF where he was likely one of the best in the league. Nate McLouth is mediocre in CF, but would likely be at least above average in RF.

You're backtracking a little. You said a "ton" of range with a "cannon" for an arm. I assumed by that you meant great range and great arm. That just doesn't really exist at RF. Although your list is pretty good. By the way, Jay Bruce has a GREAT arm. Not solid. I watch a few Reds games here and there (and whenever they play the Cubs). And we already have a stud CF. But I know what you mean. Another stud CF would enable us to move Rios to RF and have a stud CF and RF.