Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
Berkman will cost even less than LaRoche, because of Lance's very high salary and the buyout.

The only question is whether KW and JR feel he's the piece to put them over the top. I think that's pretty questionable, but he definitely adds a presence to the line-up because of his career accomplishments, and he's not like Griffey, Jr., or Todd Helton coming to town 5 years too late

Maybe 2-3 years later than we'd have liked, but this is the first time the Astros 1) wanted to part with him and 2) won't be asking an arm and a leg.

That Carlos Lee contract was the beginning of the end with that franchise.

I REALLY doubt that. Berkman's a bigger name, more of a reputation.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
I DO NOT want to find out.

Why not?

I believe that DeAza has always produced well in the majors when he's had the opportunity. His major problem has been that he always lands on the disabled list. He most certainly wouldn't be any worse than Kotsay / Jones.

If Viciedo is for real and produces offense and is adequate defensively (he just has to be as good as Teahen), then I think that there is room for a DeAza type in the lineup.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
Why not?

I believe that DeAza has always produced well in the majors when he's had the opportunity. His major problem has been that he always lands on the disabled list. He most certainly wouldn't be any worse than Kotsay / Jones.

If Viciedo is for real and produces offense and is adequate defensively (he just has to be as good as Teahen), then I think that there is room for a DeAza type in the lineup.

His career major league slash line is .232/.279/.311/.590 in 185 PA. That's not exactly strong production, it's pretty close to what Gordon Beckham is giving us this year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
His career major league slash line is .232/.279/.311/.590 in 185 PA. That's not exactly strong production, it's pretty close to what Gordon Beckham is giving us this year.

So what you're saying is we don't need another Gordon Beckham in our lineup? :lol:

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
The fact that catcher is the single most difficult position to field an adequate offensive player is a good reason to be more tolerant of AJ, a proven hitter who is just having a bit of a rough season so far.

OR

"The fact that catcher is the single most difficult position to field an adequate offensive player is a good reason to be more tolerant of Flowers, a young hitter who is just having a bit of a rough season so far."

both work, no?

Beyond that, Pierzynski turns 34 next year, and it's entirely possible that he'll never put up a .700 OPS again and that the season he is having isn't just him having a rough year, but instead is him just being a bad offensive player. Catching an average of 132 games for 9 straight seasons speaks volumes about his durability, but it also speaks volumes about the wear and tear on his body. Investing anything more into AJ Pierzynski, unless on a cheap, 1 year deal for $5 million at the very, very most, would be a bad investment.

(you can also debate about whether it's harder to find offensive help at SS or C, but that's another story)

But the two main points were that no team is going to want Flowers as the centerpiece of a trade for a big bat, and trading Quentin for Dunn would not be the answer for the Sox.

Flowers definitely isn't a can't miss prospect by any stretch of the imagination, but he would be a significant chip in a deal, if the Sox were to go that route. Catchers that have 30 homer power and can draw a walk have quite a bit of value. Hell, John Buck was part of a package (that included Mark Teahen) that was sent to KC for Carlos Beltran, and Buck can't draw a walk. John Buck might have been more highly regarded, but actually put up worse numbers than Flowers did as well (ranked #43 in 2002 while putting up .275/.345/.483/.828 in high A in 2001, and was ranked #67 after putting up .263/.314/.422/.736 in AA in 2002), but I think much of that is predicated on the belief that Flowers wasn't going to stick at catcher.

I do agree about the second part, because trading Quentin at this point would be very dumb.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
He's got a buyout and costs like $7 million for the rest of the year. His production wouldn't be much better than Adam LaRoche.

Well, i think LaRoche's production won't be much better, if any, than Teahen's. So,using that theory, we might as well just wait on Mark. :gosoxretro: .

My order of preference for guys we have mentioned is:

1-Fielder

2-Upton

3-Dunn

4-Berkman

5-LaRoche

other possibilities that have had little, or no mention are:

Corey Hart

Ludwick

Huff

Overbay

Fukudome

Aramis Ramirez.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Well, i think LaRoche's production won't be much better, if any, than Teahen's. So,using that theory, we might as well just wait on Mark. :gosoxretro: .

1-Fielder

2-Upton

3-Dunn

4-Berkman

5-LaRoche

Corey Hart

Ludwick

Huff

Overbay

Fukudome

Aramis Ramirez.

You can't be serious.

Mark Teahen's about as average as you can get. LaRoche's actually a GOOD offensive player and has been for his entire career.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)

1-Fielder

2-Upton

3-Dunn

4-Berkman

5-LaRoche

Corey Hart

Ludwick

Huff

Overbay

Fukudome

Aramis Ramirez.

BJ Upton, he of the .237/.316/.382/.697 line of the past season and a half. He of the 24.1% strikeout rate. He of the s***ty attitude. Yes, that's the acquisition that's going to put the Sox over the top.

Among the others, St. Louis won't deal Ludwick (considering they're in a playoff race and all), Overbay has been more bad than good over the past 4 years (and he's been bad this year), Fukudome is an overpaid, bad baseball player, and Aramis Ramirez has been one of the worst hitters in the league this year and he doesn't field well.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
You can't be serious.

Mark Teahen's about as average as you can get. LaRoche's actually a GOOD offensive player and has been for his entire career.

LaRoche has better power but other than that, they are very simlar. Plus LaRoche has played mainly in the weaker NL.

averge stats projected over a 162 game season for their career.

LaRoche: AB-558, R-79,H-152, 2B-39, 3B-1, HR-26, RBI-92, BA-.272

Teahen: AB-588, R-81, H-158, 2B-34, 3B-6, HR-14, RBI-69, BA .268

I'm not saying Teahen is as good but I wouldn't give up a whole lot for LaRoche becuase in half a season he's not going to be significantly better than Teahan. At least, in my mind.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
B.J. Upton is so overrated!

He's got a world of talent and needs a change of scenery at this point to try and salvage any of his career, but he's just not that good of an offensive player. He's Corey Patterson, except that he can draw a walk.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
LaRoche has better power but other than that, they are very simlar. Plus LaRoche has played mainly in the weaker NL.

I'm not saying Teahen is as good but I wouldn't give up a whole lot for LaRoche becuase in half a season he's not going to be significantly better than Teahan. At least, in my mind.

You're forgetting that LaRoche's career OPS is .831.

Teahen's? .748.

Not to mention that LaRoche is a great second half hitter.

I can care less for almost every number you put up there. Most of those are counting or team-oriented stats and reflect next to nothing about individual offensive performance.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
BJ Upton, he of the .237/.316/.382/.697 line of the past season and a half. He of the 24.1% strikeout rate. He of the s***ty attitude. Yes, that's the acquisition that's going to put the Sox over the top.

Walker would fix him/ green.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)

Just looking at the extremely raw numbers you provided, LaRoche averages 66 extra base hits in a season, while Teahen averages 54. The entirety of that difference is made up in the difference in their home runs, because LaRoche averages 12 more homers a season. LaRoche also walks 7 times more a year...it's not hugely significant, but it's there. Because of that difference in home run production, and the small difference in the amount of times they walk, LaRoche's career line is .272/.342/.489/.831, opposed to Teahen's .268/.331/.417/.748. On top of all of that, LaRoche is a ridiculous second half hitter, a career .300/.363/.546/.909. It'd basically be adding a left handed Konerko to the lineup. I don't know about you, but I'd say Konerko's a better hitter than Teahen, wouldn't you?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
There is no overrating that set of tools. He literally might be the most physically gifted player in all of baseball. Too bad his head is in a whole other place.

yes there is. The head is part of that package of tools, and it doesnt work right.

There is no overrating that set of tools. He literally might be the most physically gifted player in all of baseball. Too bad his head is in a whole other place.

sounds like the same thing a certain team said about Felix Pie.

Cough Corey Patterson Cough