Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

8. ZiPS Rest-of-Season projections see Dunn as about a +18 hitter over the remainder of the season, let's call him 2 WAR overall for the rest of 2010. He is probably owed between five and six million dollars for the rest of his contract, so unless Washington eats a substantial portion of his contract, there's probably only three million dollars worth of projected surplus here -- not bad, but probably not worth much more than a decent "C" prospect or two with some upside. However, because Dunn will likely be a Type A free agent in the offseason, draft pick compensation for the team offering him arbitration (assuming he turns it down) bumps the total projected surplus up to around nine million dollars, which means "B" prospects (plus filler) should definitely be in play.

From FanGraphs.

Interesting...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Just heard on the radio that Dunn is looking for 4 year 15 million per year contract. He's tired of the trade rumors.

I don't think he's coming here.

I'd bring him in and offer arbit. Sounds like there is no chance he takes it.;

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
Just heard on the radio that Dunn is looking for 4 year 15 million per year contract. He's tired of the trade rumors.

I don't think he's coming here.

To me that doesn't sound too crazy. If he's going to put up 40 HR and about 100 RBI with a high OPS,and you figure his numbers may go up slightly in US Cell, then he'd be worth it. The Sox are paying Konerko 12 mill for about 30 HR and 100 RBI with a lower OPS. Granted PK is a team leader and that's worth something but numbers-wise it doesn't seem way out of line. Plus, that's what Dunn is looking for, doesn't mean he'll get it. The Sox could offer up a 4 year extension starting at 13 mill, then going up slightly every year with a mutual option for a 5th year, or something like that. I know i'd love seeing him a Q bombing from each side the plate the next few years.

What kind of trade value as propsects do Stefan Gartrell and Santos Rodriguez have? I know he has alot ok K's to innings pitched and i read where he has a high ceiling. Could Dunn be had for Morel, Gartrell, and Rodriguez?

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
Could Dunn be had for Morel, Gartrell, and Rodriguez?

Even if Washington wasn't asking for the moon for Dunn...No.

First point...the most valuable guy in that deal is Morel, who is probably more valuable to us than to most teams...but who is flat out useless for Washington, because he plays 3b. Washington has Zimmerman locked up at 3b and they're not moving him.

2nd point, no, Gartrell and Rodriguez are not viewed by most people as major league talent. That could always change, but they'd be the 4th/5th guys in a deal and are essentially throw-ins.

3rd point...Washington is asking for the moon for Dunn so far. By that, I mean that their demands have started along the lines of Beckham + Hudson.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 07:57 AM)
Even if Washington wasn't asking for the moon for Dunn...No.

First point...the most valuable guy in that deal is Morel, who is probably more valuable to us than to most teams...but who is flat out useless for Washington, because he plays 3b. Washington has Zimmerman locked up at 3b and they're not moving him.

2nd point, no, Gartrell and Rodriguez are not viewed by most people as major league talent. That could always change, but they'd be the 4th/5th guys in a deal and are essentially throw-ins.

3rd point...Washington is asking for the moon for Dunn so far. By that, I mean that their demands have started along the lines of Beckham + Hudson.

Update via Cowley:

Kenny won't quit on Adam Dunn. He has really packaged the system to land this guy:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 11:22 PM)
After reading that Cowley article, I'm now scared to log on to Soxtalk every day. Please don't let this be the actual offer. You could have a chance of getting Fielder if you offered something like that.

if that were actually true, we would already have Fielder, because we would be getting an extra year, plus a better hitter.

Like team captain Paul Konerko told the Sun-Times over the weekend, Williams agreed that the 25 players that dug the hole and then climbed out of it should be afforded the chance to write the ending of this story.

"I like the fight in them,'' Williams said. "Obviously, we put the roster together thinking it can compete, it could be a winning roster.

I just vomited.

Like team captain Paul Konerko told the Sun-Times over the weekend, Williams agreed that the 25 players that dug the hole and then climbed out of it should be afforded the chance to write the ending of this story.

"I like the fight in them,'' Williams said. "Obviously, we put the roster together thinking it can compete, it could be a winning roster.

In other words: "We just lost Peavy for the year, and there's no way in hell that I'm trading Hudson now."

Which of these produces the most wins for the Sox over the rest of the year:

Quentin in RF, Kotsay at DH, Hudson as the 5th starter

Jones in RF, Quentin at DH, Hudson as the 5th starter

Quentin in RF, Dunn at DH, some guy? as the 5th starter (Marquez?)

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 02:13 AM)
But really what's he gonna say?

"Kotsay blows out there and we need help."

"I don't trust this Hudson guy."

I know, I know. Just like when Ozzie says the team is fine as is..."What do you expect him to say? That this team has 40 holes and we need help?" It's not my job to access some deep hidden meaning behind every single thing Ozzie/KW say concerning the team.

Not sure if this was posted. But Scot Gregor heard that it was Dayan plus 2 prospects for Dunn. That sounds more reasonable. Dayan is the kind of player the sox want to move away from: all slugging, no OBP, little plate discipline, below avg. defense. With the sox able to net 2 picks for Dunn [they should offer him arb. as they could have him for 1b or DH if he accepts, which he prob. won't], a deal around Dayan would be nice

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/4414

If the sox added Dunn, it would be at the expense of Kotsay. Kenny could rationalize the move by Kotsay having had every opportunity to hit, both playing 1b and at DH. He hasn't. The sox haven't cut the cord on Kotsay, due to his being a team leader, and have given him more chances to rebound than most contending clubs would have. It's time, esp. if the price is Dayan plus lower level guys [Torres, a bullpen arm, etc].

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 06:53 AM)
Not sure if this was posted. But Scot Gregor heard that it was Dayan plus 2 prospects for Dunn. That sounds more reasonable. Dayan is the kind of player the sox want to move away from: all slugging, no OBP, little plate discipline, below avg. defense. With the sox able to net 2 picks for Dunn [they should offer him arb. as they could have him for 1b or DH if he accepts, which he prob. won't], a deal around Dayan would be nice

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/4414

If the sox added Dunn, it would be at the expense of Kotsay. Kenny could rationalize the move by Kotsay having had every opportunity to hit, both playing 1b and at DH. He hasn't. The sox haven't cut the cord on Kotsay, due to his being a team leader, and have given him more chances to rebound than most contending clubs would have. It's time, esp. if the price is Dayan plus lower level guys [Torres, a bullpen arm, etc].

Putting my Dayan shirt thoughts on hold. Especially since I just bought a new Gordon one (it was time, couldn't find my old one).

I'd really like to keep Dayan.

Plus, you'd think the Nats would like Flowers more, especially if they plan on Harper in the OF.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
Putting my Dayan shirt thoughts on hold. Especially since I just bought a new Gordon one (it was time, couldn't find my old one).

I'd really like to keep Dayan.

Plus, you'd think the Nats would like Flowers more, especially if they plan on Harper in the OF.

I could see both Flowers and Dayan go. The Sox will likely re-sign AJ. He's a perfect match for our pitching staff. I just don't see Dayan as a fit going forward, though. The sox don't want to have a below avg. fielder playing a key position, either 3b or 1b. The sox have options at 3b, with Teahen and Morel for 2011. 1b isn't a spot to hide Dayan either. Seeing how many E's PK has saved this year and made all the plays hit at him, a guy has to be able to be solid at 1b. I like Dayan as a DH. Dayan may be a slugger. Yet he's got serious holes in his swing and approach. Teams will learn how to make him chase balls and he will get himself out.

Yet with Dunn, the sox can turn those 2 picks into some nice players. The scouting dept. has turned it around, and I have faith that those picks and Dunn's bat for this year, can be better than what Dayan, Flowers, etc could do.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 07:43 AM)
I could see both Flowers and Dayan go. The Sox will likely re-sign AJ. He's a perfect match for our pitching staff. I just don't see Dayan as a fit going forward, though. The sox don't want to have a below avg. fielder playing a key position, either 3b or 1b. The sox have options at 3b, with Teahen and Morel for 2011. 1b isn't a spot to hide Dayan either. Seeing how many E's PK has saved this year and made all the plays hit at him, a guy has to be able to be solid at 1b. I like Dayan as a DH. Dayan may be a slugger. Yet he's got serious holes in his swing and approach. Teams will learn how to make him chase balls and he will get himself out.

Yet with Dunn, the sox can turn those 2 picks into some nice players. The scouting dept. has turned it around, and I have faith that those picks and Dunn's bat for this year, can be better than what Dayan, Flowers, etc could do.

I'd probably trust Dayan fielding over Dunn. Plus, Dayan has a mad ceiling for what could be a rental + picks. Flowers, Torres, Short, Morel would probably be my max offer.