Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
Flowers has been the most disappointing prospect for me this year.

If you exclude the month of May where they had him mess with his swing, he's put up a .952 OPS. As it is, I only see 3 "prospects" (dudes younger than 28) in the International League who've been better than his .810 OPS. An no surprise, none of them is a catcher.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
after the All-Star break he has a career OPS of .906?

Can we really expect him to produce the same outside of Atlanta and Pittsburgh and Arizona?

But yes, that .906 2nd half OPS is nice.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
Yeah Atlanta and Pittsburgh are not good for hitters. And the NL to AL numbers downsize tends to hit pitchers much more than it does hitters as far as I'm aware of.

I will grant, there are some guys who just seem unable to hit in the opposite league for whatever reason. Holliday was that way for a while, LaRoche had the rep of not being able to hit outside of Atlanta until this year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
Can someone explain to me why people like Adam LaRoche so much?

for me it's because he's not Mark Kotsay... Laroche isn't putting up crazy numbers or anything, basic stat but his OPS+ is 100 while Kotsay's is 81, so basically he would be an average hitter, but an upgrade from Kotsay and I think he would be cheap when it comes to prospects.

I'm usually all for erring on the side of trading prospects to go for it now, but some of the names I hear being thrown around for 2 months of Dunn concern me

It's one thing to give Ozzie the type of team he wants and let him manage the team the way he wants. It's another thing to give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt on the make-up of a roster that you as a GM clearly see has a gaping hole. Now we need to plug it by giving up top prospects and perhaps a player that will be extremely needed to make a playoff push (Hudson)? If we're going to have to do the old spinning wheel for a 5th starter and basically lose every 5th day, then there is no point in upgrading the offense.

Dunn will cost a lot because Washington undoubtedly believes they can still resign him, because he will result in two compensation picks within the first 65 (and more likely within the top 50), and because he's a pretty damn good hitter.

Even though Cowley says otherwise, I do question whether or not Williams is actually willing to give up Hudson for Dunn. If he is, in fact, willing to give up Viciedo, then I'd say it's very possible, and maybe even likely that the two sides will be able to come to some sort of agreement.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
It's one thing to give Ozzie the type of team he wants and let him manage the team the way he wants. It's another thing to give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt on the make-up of a roster that you as a GM clearly see has a gaping hole. Now we need to plug it by giving up top prospects and perhaps a player that will be extremely needed to make a playoff push (Hudson)? If we're going to have to do the old spinning wheel for a 5th starter and basically lose every 5th day, then there is no point in upgrading the offense.

I imagine that if the Sox do deal Hudson, it's because they feel that Carlos Torres can be an acceptable 5th starter.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)

I think thats why many on this board are so reluctant to make such a deal. It was obvious in the spring that we were missing a DH and short a bat. That hole was easier and certainly a lot cheaper (in terms of talent) to acquire back then. Now to fill it we have to give up valuable pieces of the future when it shouldn't have been necessary. It is frustrating to try and make up for mistakes and a very tough decision.

KW WONT trade Hudson AND Viciedo for Dunn. It will be one or the other. If Rizzo asking price doesn't come down, I can actually see KW getting creative to aqcuire Fielder with Milwaukee throwing some us some cash. There was a Milwaukee scout at the Sox-Mariner game watching Hudson last night. Milwaukee is desperate for a potential #2-3 starting pitcher.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
Now that I can't imagine.

You don't think they will throw in $4 mill for 2011? I know its far fetched for a team like Milwaukee to do so. . . but a Hudson/Viciedo centered package is pretty damn solid.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
You don't think they will throw in $4 mill for 2011? I know its far fetched for a team like Milwaukee to do so. . . but a Hudson/Viciedo centered package is pretty damn solid.

Really, I think the Brewers would expect to significantly beat that package, in addition to not taking on salary, in a Fielder trade.

I don't think the Sox could do it without starting at Beckham +.

Kenny isn't trading Viciedo and Hudson for Dunn or anyone else. Kenny isn't trading Hudson period. It doesn't make sense. You don't need to worry, and hope it doesn't happen. It won't happen. Sure, that Nationals would like that and their GM asked for that. Same guy who asked for Beckham. He hoped he could get Beckham for a 3 month rental. Beyond silly. We wouldn't trade Beckham for Dunn and Willingham.