Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
Cant trade Hudson unless you are going to get a serviceable starter in return.

If Peavy was healthy Hudson would be expendable, but that is not the case.

I agree. Somebody has to take the ball every fifth day who has a decent chance of at least lasting 5 innnings. Its bad enough to go into a fifth starter's games with little chance to win, but you can't end up burning the bullpen in those games too.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
Or that they're not foolish enough to think they can win this year or next year without a 5th starter.

Winner.

The only way Huddy is getting traded is if we have another deal to bring a sp over here.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
Winner.

The only way Huddy is getting traded is if we have another deal to bring a sp over here.

And on top of that...they think that they can do so without killing their salary situation for next year (if you lose both Hudson and Viciedo for example, just to replace the 5th starter, the DH, the 1b, the Catcher, and the Closer next year in FA will take a ton of money, even if a few of our guys are just extended)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
Or that they're not foolish enough to think they can win this year or next year without a 5th starter.

I don't know...Hudson is not a highly regarded prospect outside the Sox system. You would think they'd be confident replacing him with a cheap vet next season. The only thing that might give KW pause is this season, but they could either go with Torres or trade Santos for some marginal vet (like Lopez on AZ) to finish this season.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
I don't know...Hudson is not a highly regarded prospect outside the Sox system. You would think they'd be confident replacing him with a cheap vet next season. The only thing that might give KW pause is this season, but they could either go with Torres or trade Santos for some marginal vet (like Lopez on AZ) to finish this season.

I think it has to be a vet because he has to eat innings, even if he's getting hit early and often. You can't leave rookies in situations like that.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
I don't know...Hudson is not a highly regarded prospect outside the Sox system.

Looking at your post recently, you are listening to Keith Law (who most here take with a grain of salt evaluating sox prospects) way too much. Not saying he isn't reliable (at times, he knows his stuff) but he isn't the end all evaluator especially considering a so called clouded history with sox management. I overrate Hudson a bit, but I think he will be a solid #3.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
What did we get for Contreras last year? What would it take to get a Westbrook or a Millwood? Are they better than Torres/Marquez?

Brandon Hynick. More for Westrbook than you'd like, not sure about Millwood. Yes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
Disagree with your agree with the disagree.

I'm not even sure what that really mean you agree or disagree with, but I have NO problems dealing Hudson as long as we have another deal in place for a quality pitcher.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
Brandon Hynick. More for Westrbook than you'd like, not sure about Millwood. Yes.

I think Westbrook could be had for a reasonable price.

He's in his walk year. He's coming off a significant injury in 2009. And he's due a little over $4M from now through the end of the year. Plus he has a clause in his contract that results in a $2.5M bonus if he is dealt.

So the Tribe has very little incentive to keep him + they may find it hard to deal him.

Cleveland fans expect him to be dealt. And it's doubtful they'll get much if anything in return unless they pick up a significant portion of the remaining money.

On the positive side, he's a Garland-like veteran who can eat innings, doesn't walk alot of people, and is likely to go 6+ innings in most outings.

Could be a valuable get for the back-end of a rotation in a pennant race.

Edited by scenario

I wouldn't even blink over trading Hudson and one of Danks or Morel for Dunn. That's a damn good deal for us.

TB, what about trying to lock up Dunn long term (if we land him - big if) with the Konerko money coming off the books? Would 3/39 do it?

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
I wouldn't even blink over trading Hudson and one of Danks or Morel for Dunn. That's a damn good deal for us.

Don't you think that might stretch our rotation a bit thin? That would make one of Torres/Marquez/Sale?? as our 5th starter.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you; if it's Hudson and Morel/Danks2 for Dunn that's a great deal for us. But i think that would have to be tied with another move for a starter: and who would we trade? and for whom?

I'd rather KW take advantage of the Phillies/Oswalt situation and see what it would take to get Werth. Amaro wouldn't ask for Beckham and we could probably get away with not trading Hudson.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:52 PM)
Don't you think that might stretch our rotation a bit thin? That would make one of Torres/Marquez/Sale?? as our 5th starter.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you; if it's Hudson and Morel/Danks2 for Dunn that's a great deal for us. But i think that would have to be tied with another move for a starter: and who would we trade? and for whom?

I'd rather KW take advantage of the Phillies/Oswalt situation and see what it would take to get Werth. Amaro wouldn't ask for Beckham and we could probably get away with not trading Hudson.

The Dunn move demands another move for a pitcher. The good thing about that kind of a deal is that the one of Danks/Morel that you don't trade can be flipped for the arm in question.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
The Dunn move demands another move for a pitcher. The good thing about that kind of a deal is that the one of Danks/Morel that you don't trade can be flipped for the arm in question.

If all the rumors are true, probably what KW is weighing is if he can get another pitcher, or if he can't can a guy like gulp, Marquez, give you what Hudson is going to give you the rest of the year. If he thinks that its a 6.00 ERA and 5 innings a start, I think he pulls the trigger.

Trading Hudson could be a real mistake. He's not in the easiest position right now and plenty of real good pitchers started slowly in their careers.

I wonder if KW would dangle Viciedo out there. There's a lot to like there and a lot you have to wonder about. He has to be able to take a walk eventually. I always hoped he turned into Carlos Lee offensively, which is possible. He may be like Delmon Young, a guy would wouldn't walk and many considered a bust but who has had a sweet season and is only 24 or 25. Or he may be a guy they figure out how to get out and he's a bust.

People talk about Smoak being a high pick and a great prospect and he netted Cliff Lee. Viciedo was given a $5 million bonus and a $5-6 million more for 4 year. He can't be thought of too much less of a potential stud hitter than Smoak can he?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
People talk about Smoak being a high pick and a great prospect and he netted Cliff Lee. Viciedo was given a $5 million bonus and a $5-6 million more for 4 year. He can't be thought of too much less of a potential stud hitter than Smoak can he?

Viciedo had two disappointing years in the minors and has shown no ability to draw walks. Smoak kicked ass at every level he played at...he's considered a better prospect than Beckham. Unfortunately I don't think Viciedo has 1/3 the value Smoak has.