Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)
Totally disagree.

I get the feeling the Sox are higher on Hudson than many around here are. That's a good thing. Dealing Hudson for Dunn the reluctant DH would come back and haunt the sox. I'm all for adding a guy like Westbrook for the stretch run, but keeping Hudson as well. The sox need depth at SP as there aren't any arms more than 2 years away outside of Hudson.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
Viciedo had two disappointing years in the minors and has shown no ability to draw walks. Smoak kicked ass at every level he played at...he's considered a better prospect than Beckham. Unfortunately I don't think Viciedo has 1/3 the value Smoak has.

I wouldn't call them dissappointing, obviously not as good as Smoak's minor league totals but he was definitely trending upward. Smoak was definitely trending downward. Don't get me wrong, if I were a GM and was offered Smoak, I'd take him in a heartbeat, however, there are more than a couple of scouts that have really soured on him.

Obviously Viciedo has to learn how to get on base without getting a hit at least once in a while. His weight will always be an issue. You probably are going to have to keep checking on him during the offseason or he may come to spring training 50 lbs. heavier. But it does appear he will be able to hit major league pitching and probably pretty well. 2 months of Adam Dunn doesn't have the value of 3 months of Cliff Lee either. I wish Ozzie would let him DH. Maybe the Sox wouldn't need another bat.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 03:31 AM)
I wouldn't even blink over trading Hudson and one of Danks or Morel for Dunn. That's a damn good deal for us.

That's a damn good deal for the Nats. Highway robbery in fact. Kenny would rue the day he did that deal.

Viciedo had two disappointing years in the minors and has shown no ability to draw walks. Smoak kicked ass at every level he played at...he's considered a better prospect than Beckham. Unfortunately I don't think Viciedo has 1/3 the value Smoak has.

Are you f***ing serious? He put up an .855 OPS in AAA as a 21 year old this year. His OPS also includes a bad April to start the season. What qualifies that as a disappointing year? Simply a lack of walks? It's not like he strikes out a ton.

If the White Sox want to acqire Nationals slugger Adam Dunn in a deadline deal, they'll have to give up at least two top prospects, ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine reports.

Washington wants right-hander Dan Hudson in any deal, and it is also asking for one of three prospects playing at Triple-A Charlotte: outfielder Jordan Danks (the younger brother of White Sox left-hander John Danks), catcher Tyler Flowers and infielder Brent Morel.

Hudson has been so-so since being recalled from Charlotte just before the All-Star break. He's 1-1 with a 6.32 ERA in three starts and has worked past the sixth inning just once.

A source tells Levine the White Sox rejected Washington's proposal of Dunn for Chicago second baseman Gordon Beckham straight up.

SportingNews

Don't know if you all saw this. If they want Hudson and Flowers for Dunn, fine with me.

Latest from Ken Rosenthal per Foxsports.

Nats looking to make moves to acquire D-backs' Jackson? — 10:31 p.m.

The White Sox, pressing hard for Dunn, likely would need to include right-hander Dan Hudson in any deal with the Nationals. The Nats then could send Hudson or one of their own pitchers to the D-Backs for Jackson.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
SportingNews

Don't know if you all saw this. If they want Hudson and Flowers for Dunn, fine with me.

If one of Flowers/Morel/Danks had to be included, then I'd make sure it wasn't Flowers. I know he's really struggling right now, but I still think he's got the most upside of the three and provides us with an option at catcher for next year if need be.

As for Danks/Morel, I'm not sure who I'd rather include in the trade. You'd be selling high on Morel and selling low on Danks. On the otherhand, Morel might be able to contribute in some capacity next season, while Danks doesn't even look close to being a major leaguer at this point. IMO, Danks has the higher upside, but he's unlikely to ever become more than a reserve outfielder if he can't significantly cut down on those strikeouts.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
If one of Flowers/Morel/Danks had to be included, then I'd make sure it wasn't Flowers. I know he's really struggling right now, but I still think he's got the most upside of the three and provides us with an option at catcher for next year if need be.

As for Danks/Morel, I'm not sure who I'd rather include in the trade. You'd be selling high on Morel and selling low on Danks. On the otherhand, Morel might be able to contribute in some capacity next season, while Danks doesn't even look close to being a major leaguer at this point. IMO, Danks has the higher upside, but he's unlikely to ever become more than a reserve outfielder if he can't significantly cut down on those strikeouts.

I'd rather hold onto Morel over Danks. Good defender, line drive hitter in the mold of a Michael Young/Brian Roberts type of player. John has to understand Jordan has had all the time to show what he can contribute and it seems like the same story each year: K-rate is ridiculously high.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
I wish Ozzie would let him DH. Maybe the Sox wouldn't need another bat.

Well, think they probably would still need a bat. But I absolutely agree that he should DH more. They should play him till they know that he's worse than Kotsay...and right now that's still an open question.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm surprised nobody's considering Mitchell a big part of any deal. I think he's a better 'spect than Danks, even with the injury. I'd rather have him if I'm the Nats, considering they're more than a year away anyway.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 12:18 AM)
Slightly off-topic, but I'm surprised nobody's considering Mitchell a big part of any deal. I think he's a better 'spect than Danks, even with the injury. I'd rather have him if I'm the Nats, considering they're more than a year away anyway.

that may be the hidden gem, if Mitchell can come back strong it's a great surprise for the Sox farm system... it's so hard for me, as a Sox fan if they can find their way into the playoffs with the pen they have and a rolling Danks, Floyd and MB with Dunn in the lineup that is tremendous, the thing is, how do we do it with Torres/Garcia as 4 and 5?

Let's talk out of the box for a second... I know Pedro said he won't pitch this year, but is it worth KW or Ozzie getting on the phone and trying to convince him to be the 5th starter on this team if they deal Hudson?

Also, Brett Myers would be a good replacement in the rotation, obviously would trend down in the AL, but wouldn't be too prospect expensive and even if it's the only move I would be OK with it... but also Luke Scott would be suitable, just need to get a respectable DH in the lineup, Rh or Lh

Yet Viciedo has shown to be a better hitter vs. MLB pitching thus far and I would be willing to bet a decent amount of money that Viciedo will be the better MLB player.

Viciedo definitely needs to work on his discipline, but odds are while he won't walk as much as Smoak, he won't K as much either (I could see him being a guy in the 60-80 range in the majors, even though he didn't have a very good K rate in the minors), and he definitely looks like the more natural hitter.

If Viciedo doesn't get pull happy and continues to hit the ball to center/right, he can be a very dangerous hitter, as we saw today. However, if he does get pull happy, I think he would turn into something like his cuban teammate with more pop, which isn't bad, but isn't spectacular either. If he stays with the oppo approach though, I definitely think he can be a scary hitter.

Speaking of which though, I think if Ramirez stuck to the approach he had when he first got here and never got pull happy, he would be an all-star and hit above .300 easy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
If all the rumors are true, probably what KW is weighing is if he can get another pitcher, or if he can't can a guy like gulp, Marquez, give you what Hudson is going to give you the rest of the year. If he thinks that its a 6.00 ERA and 5 innings a start, I think he pulls the trigger.

Unless my counting was wrong, it looks to me that we could skip the 5th starter without pitching anyone on short rest enough times that a 5th starter needs to make 9 more starts. One of those would be the final game of the season, so I will subtract that one (if we still had not clinched the division going into the final game, someone would go on short rest or multiple starters would be available in the bullpen).

So let's say we need 8 starts from a 5th starter the rest of the year (assuming our others stay healthy). What is the difference between Hudson and Torres/Marquez in those 8 starts? How many of those 8 do we expect to win with Hudson vs. the others? I probably should have noted who the starts are against.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
I'd rather hold onto Morel over Danks. Good defender, line drive hitter in the mold of a Michael Young/Brian Roberts type of player. John has to understand Jordan has had all the time to show what he can contribute and it seems like the same story each year: K-rate is ridiculously high.

Whoa, slow down there killer. I'd hardly put Morel in the same category as Young or Roberts. At best, we'd probably be looking at a Joe Randa type, but probably more like Joe Crede. Morel looks like a solid player and all and that he might develop into a decent major leaguer, but we'd definitely be selling high on him and I think that would be the smartest thing to do if we were set on such on a trade. Flowers and Danks' trade values are at all time lows and both offer more potential in the future than Morel.

I like Morel, but if I had to choose between the three on who to trade, it's an easy choice for me.

With that being said, I'd like to see if the Nats still want CQ bad. If we could get Dunn for CQ and a lesser prospect than the ones mentioned, I'd do that, only because I have lost all faith in CQ being able to stay healthy.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 12:54 AM)
Unless my counting was wrong, it looks to me that we could skip the 5th starter without pitching anyone on short rest enough times that a 5th starter needs to make 9 more starts. One of those would be the final game of the season, so I will subtract that one (if we still had not clinched the division going into the final game, someone would go on short rest or multiple starters would be available in the bullpen).

So let's say we need 8 starts from a 5th starter the rest of the year (assuming our others stay healthy). What is the difference between Hudson and Torres/Marquez in those 8 starts? How many of those 8 do we expect to win with Hudson vs. the others? I probably should have noted who the starts are against.

I'm not certain how good Hudson will be the rest of this season, but I will say starting Torres/Marquez 8 times would be conceding those 8 games. Despite his struggles out of the gate, I think Hudson will be more good than bad over the course of this season. Somebody else in this thread mentioned we should get a cheap vet to fill Hudson's spot, and I just want to point out that you would be paying about 10 times the price for similar to worse production of Hudson next season. There's a reason the whole Dunn deal hasn't been done yet, and that's that not only does KW have to create holes to fill holes but he also has to sacrifice a lot of flexibility in constructing next year's roster. If everybody got their wish of getting both Dunn and a pitcher to fill Hudson's spot, KW would have to work some serious magic in the off season to field a seriously competitive team, that is a team who can do more than just compete in a lousy division.

Also, I feel that a lot of people are seriously overvaluing Morel. I mean this is a guy whose ceiling is pretty much that of an average third baseman, all things considered. Just because he's high on our top prospect list doesn't mean he's some star in the waiting.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Looks like a three-way deal is possibly in the works.

Hudson and fillers to Arizona.

Dunn to the White Sox

Jackson to Washington

Hopefully the next move will be for a legit starting pitcher. I sure would love Grienke!

Don't mind the deal if Zona takes a lesser prospect. Losing Hudson hurts but we haven't been burnt by an untradeable arm really yet? I mean McCarthy was dust, Richards looks decent - not great. A 3.5 in the NL and Petco in particular isn't exactly worldly. If he was here, it'd be well over 4. Poreda, the verdict is out. Carter is a bum. Gio is meh. De Los Santos is still not 100% I understand but hasn't really shown as dominant in high levels. Mind you we dealt a few of those for essentially jeff marquez lets remember. And like I said, Hudson doesn't look to be this stud he built his rep off with one real good season last year and a solid one this year. If you can get Dunn and lock him up for 4 years at a decent rate, do it. If not, draft your next Hudson or better with the Comp picks.

As far as Grienke. I don't see it. He is still young and good. Unless they want to load up, which we can't offer in prospects especially after Hudson, then I dont see the reason to move him. In 4-5 years you should have most of your young talent up and into a couple seasons as pro's, hopefully having progressed accordingly. And they have some talent.

Hochevar may not ever be the guy he was supposed to be but you can't count his stuff or talent out yet. Then their minor league's are just loaded. Not saying the minors are end all be all, dont want to get into that but the reason you have a farm is to develop guys. Guys who project to be studs and they have a ton. Dealing Grienke would be silly because he can anchor the staff with those guys. They have 4 legit 2-3 starters, a couple project as aces. Montgomery, Crow, Melville, and Duffy. They have a kid Mike Lamb who cna compete with any of them on the mound stuff wise just hasnt put it totally together yet. Htting wise, Butler is up and raking. Moustakis, Myers and Hosmer look like the real deals as they all have broken well out this year.

Grienke seems unattainable for us because we don't have the pieces and I don't think KC will move him. Dayton Moore learned under Shuerholz who was responsible for a lot of what the Braves put together for their better run of a decade plus. Didn't find some of the guys like maddux, glavine and smoltz but he brought in maddux and maintained a damn good squad. I just think the Royals aren't a pushover anymore for players and know what theyre doing for a change.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 05:55 AM)
Whoa, slow down there killer. I'd hardly put Morel in the same category as Young or Roberts. At best, we'd probably be looking at a Joe Randa type, but probably more like Joe Crede. Morel looks like a solid player and all and that he might develop into a decent major leaguer, but we'd definitely be selling high on him and I think that would be the smartest thing to do if we were set on such on a trade. Flowers and Danks' trade values are at all time lows and both offer more potential in the future than Morel.

I like Morel, but if I had to choose between the three on who to trade, it's an easy choice for me.

With that being said, I'd like to see if the Nats still want CQ bad. If we could get Dunn for CQ and a lesser prospect than the ones mentioned, I'd do that, only because I have lost all faith in CQ being able to stay healthy.

Hopefully your exaggerating. A Carlos for Dunn swap would get KW fired. Jerry would rightfully step in and slap KW silly to wake him up out of his stupor.

Even if CQ deals with injuries on a yearly basis, he's worth far more than two months of Dunn

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 05:41 AM)
Hopefully your exaggerating. A Carlos for Dunn swap would get KW fired. Jerry would rightfully step in and slap KW silly to wake him up out of his stupor.

Even if CQ deals with injuries on a yearly basis, he's worth far more than two months of Dunn

Right now, CQ isn't worth a whole lot. His effectiveness as a hitter goes hand in hand with his health, and I really don't have any faith in him being able to stay healthy.

And to say CQ now is worth more than 2 months of Dunn and 2 draft picks is laughable. Yeah, after 08, but not now.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
Right now, CQ isn't worth a whole lot. His effectiveness as a hitter goes hand in hand with his health, and I really don't have any faith in him being able to stay healthy.

And to say CQ now is worth more than 2 months of Dunn and 2 draft picks is laughable. Yeah, after 08, but not now.

FWIW, Kenny doesn't agree with you, as by all accounts Wash. started it's 1st proposals asking for Beckham or Carlos for Dunn and that ship has sailed. Just as the Nats supposedly asked for Garza from TB. Those proposals for Dunn are laughable. Mike Rizzo must be smoking crack with Marion Berry out east. Few GM's around the league are going to be taking him seriously if he actually believes Dunn's worth what he's been asking for.

People are acting like Adam Dunn is Albert Pujols or something. He's not. Dunn would be a nice addition but not at the price of Hudson even. The sox need depth as Freddy is still a question mark considering he has thrown a lot of innings this year. Hudson should be a keeper, even as they look to add another SP.