Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

well yeah, Thome would have been great at the time, but unless KW trades for a time machine he needs to move forward... how as a Sox fan would I be extra insulted if they trade for Dunn? I would be more insulted if they didn't because they could have done something 4 months ago.

This team went on a great run, but they desperately need another bat.

With Cowley's report that their is rumblings "there are more teams interested" than the Sox or Angels it could mean the Sox get edged out or the Nats are putting that out there because they want to trade him quickly.

It's not like Dunn is the only guy that's going to move, I imagine at least Luke Scott is going to go, a little step down from Dunn, but also Fielder and Berkman are prime to move from the left and I'm sure there's RH power hitters that will hit the market.

Ideally the Sox would get a left handed bat, but at this point a full time quality RH'er would be OK with me.

Edited by SoxFan562004

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
Why would Dunn want to play in the NL? Does he not know he can't field?

ChuckGarfien

Adam Dunn on trade talk, "I hate this." And he doesn't want to be full-time DH. "One hundred percent. There's no doubt about that."

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
ChuckGarfien

Adam Dunn on trade talk, "I hate this." And he doesn't want to be full-time DH. "One hundred percent. There's no doubt about that."

yea, some players are bad at fielding but they still want to play the field for some reason, like dye

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 04:27 AM)
yea, some players are bad at fielding but they still want to play the field for some reason, like dye

Because Dunn doesn't want to be labeled as a DH only player, as that will hurt him when he enters free agency.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
ChuckGarfien

Great...glad he is open to coming here...

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
Because Dunn doesn't want to be labeled as a DH only player, as that will hurt him when he enters free agency.

Yet that's basically what Dye was labeled as this offseason even though he played a full time RF role for us the last 5 years.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)

good point,in regards to him, didnt think about that. well , i guess we can forget about dunn. i dont think we want to trade for a disgruntled player

If you knew Thome was going to increase his production to pre2007 totals, why are you not out picking lotto numbers?

I dont care what numbers Thome puts up this season, I care about this:

239 .308 .465 .773

Those are Thome's second half splits last year.

August: 238 .298 .500 .798

300 obp? Sub .800 ops. His September stats are even worse, but those were in limited at bats.

Conversely here is Kotsay:

Second Half:

.283 .338 .417 .755

August:

.333 .389 .467 .856

September:

324 .385 .493 .878

Im sorry but there is just no way anyone expected that Thome would turn back the clock. When I watched Thome last year (eye test) he looked like he had lost it. Kotsay may not have been the best player in the world, but at the end of the year, Kotsay looked like he was going to be far more solid than Thome.

Thome is gone, him leaving wasnt the worst decision ever, it just is what it is. If the Sox thought Thome would hit 1.00+ ops they would have signed him. They were worried hed put up stats like his LA stint or his August stats, and that they would have a player wasting space on the bench who cant even play the field.

Dunn has nothing to do with Thome.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
When I watched Thome last year (eye test) he looked like he had lost it. Kotsay may not have been the best player in the world, but at the end of the year, Kotsay looked like he was going to be far more solid than Thome.

That's why you can't get caught up in that small sample size performance of Kotsay's last season. Even including his excellent numbers with us in '09 Kotsay was a .270/.323/.391/.714 hitter over his last 2000+ PA coming into this season, that's not an everyday DH. Jim Thome wasn't an incredible option but I had significantly more faith in him turning it around in 2010 than I did Kotsay.

And then the subject of platoon DH comes up and I posted this in January:

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
Oh yes, his multi-year splits vs right handed pitching are really quite reassuring:

Kotsay's 3 year splits vs RHP: .275/.335/.403/.738, 654 PA, 10 HR

Kotsay's 4 year splits vs RHP: .276/.339/.394/.732, 1088 PA, 14 HR

Kotsay's 5 year splits vs RHP: .272/.330/.397/.727, 1525 PA, 26 HR

Yeah, that's a whole lotta bad right there.

Then you look at Jim Thome's AVG/OPS vs RHP in his years with the Sox:

2006: .321/1.203

2007: .315/1.123

2008: .249/.868

2009: .262/.881

I know who I'd rather have as part of a platoon.

I had little faith in either Kotsay or Thome as a full time dh.

But as a bench player, Kotsay gives you more flexibility in the fact he can at least play the field. At the end of the day the Sox chose flexibility. While you cant get caught up in sample sizes, did you honestly believe that Thome would put up an ops over 900?

His bat looked slow, he looked like he was done. Its just really easy right now to second guess the decision.

if Dunn came here I imagine being in a pennant race would take away some pouting and Ozzie can mix him in the OF and 1b every now and then. I don't think it would look to shabby to other teams if he came here and produced in a meaningful race.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
I had little faith in either Kotsay or Thome as a full time dh.

But as a bench player, Kotsay gives you more flexibility in the fact he can at least play the field. At the end of the day the Sox chose flexibility. While you cant get caught up in sample sizes, did you honestly believe that Thome would put up an ops over 900?

His bat looked slow, he looked like he was done. Its just really easy right now to second guess the decision.

Check out my edit a few posts up.

I was mostly in favor of Jim playing largely in a platoon role which is what we were looking at with Kotsay and Jones coming into the season. I thought Thome would be a quality player for us and a much more valuable ballplayer than Kotsay regardless of what limited flexibility Mark brings to the table. I figured a .850 OPS (I still think that's where he'll finish the season) out of Thome in a semi-platoon was a distinct possibility and that trumps flexibility in my mind especially when Kotsay can't even play the outfield competently or hit RHP particularly well.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
While you cant get caught up in sample sizes, did you honestly believe that Thome would put up an ops over 900?

I believed Thome could be in the ballpark of .900, just as he always has (.865 the past 2 seasons). And especially if he'd only starting against righties. I knew for certain Kotsay couldn't get near that and it would be an absolute miracle if he could put up .800. With Kotsay you'd have to be happy if you got .750, but even that has turned out to be a pipe dream.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
I guess I was so certain we would sign Thome i never really even looked around at anyone else. It was such an incredibly simple decision to make...

I never thought going into the offseason that the powers that be would decide that going into the year without a DH was the best option among many.

We all have different opinions, but I was honestly happy when the Twins signed Thome because I thought he was done. Watching him with LA was just sad, he couldnt hit fastballs, he couldnt hit anything. His bat seemed a little slower at the end of the season with the Sox and I just figured time had gotten to him.

Some times you hit, some times you miss, but you gotta believe that Ozzie who was with the guy every day, felt he had nothing left in the tank.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
Don't think it's been brought up but Thome also has the benefit of being in a solid lineup this year, getting pitches to hit. Dunn meanwhile you stay out of the zone on and take your chances with the next guy.

Josh Willingham? Good luck with that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Im sorry but there is just no way anyone expected that Thome would turn back the clock. When I watched Thome last year (eye test) he looked like he had lost it. Kotsay may not have been the best player in the world, but at the end of the year, Kotsay looked like he was going to be far more solid than Thome.

Thome is gone, him leaving wasnt the worst decision ever, it just is what it is. If the Sox thought Thome would hit 1.00+ ops they would have signed him. They were worried hed put up stats like his LA stint or his August stats, and that they would have a player wasting space on the bench who cant even play the field.

Dunn has nothing to do with Thome.

Great analysis. The team was loaded with slow guys and of the slow guys Thome was the odd man out because he's limited to what he can do.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 04:48 AM)
Don't think it's been brought up but Thome also has the benefit of being in a solid lineup this year, getting pitches to hit. Dunn meanwhile you stay out of the zone on and take your chances with the next guy.

You could do a lot worse than being sandwiched by Zimmerman and Willingham.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 04:51 AM)
Great analysis. The team was loaded with slow guys and of the slow guys Thome was the odd man out because he's limited to what he can do.

Yet Mark Kotsay might be only a little bit faster than Thome, at best.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
Some times you hit, some times you miss, but you gotta believe that Ozzie who was with the guy every day, felt he had nothing left in the tank.

Then you go out and you find a suitable replacement rather than going into the year with a pinch hitter as your everyday DH. I know they made a run at Damon but that kinda fell into their laps at the end of the offseason, hardly the plan from the beginning and besides they lost out on him in the end.

Blah, I can't believe I'm arguing this. I'm just as tired about the living in the past as anyone else.