Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
And Quentin is hitting all of .229 in the majors. The 2 have identical .779 OPSs in their respective leagues. Throw in the fact that Quentin is a DH playing right field and hurting us defensively, while Flowers occupies the single most difficult position at which to field an adequate offensive player, and that Flowers is obviously cheaper and is under our control for 3 years more than Quentin......it is not so cut and dried. Though I think I have just made the case that Quentin should learn how to play catcher.

Quentin just hit 2HRs tonight while Flowers struck out twice tonight lowering his AAA batting average to .216. And Quentin did make a very nice catch in RF tonight as well.

The fact that catcher is the single most difficult position to field an adequate offensive player is a good reason to be more tolerant of AJ, a proven hitter who is just having a bit of a rough season so far.

But the two main points were that no team is going to want Flowers as the centerpiece of a trade for a big bat, and trading Quentin for Dunn would not be the answer for the Sox.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
I wonder if Alejandro De Aza could put up DeJesus-like numbers if he was given enough playing time in the majors...

I think that he very well could. The problem is, like Quentin, could he stay healthy doing it?

I wonder if Alejandro De Aza could put up DeJesus-like numbers if he was given enough playing time in the majors...

If he could, he'd be on another ML team already.

I think somewhere between Pierre and DeJesus.

The problem is that you can't have to bats like that in your line-up, not at USCF.

If you want to replace Pierre with De Aza, that's one thing...but to have both those guys in the line-up at the same time?

I guess the theory is that you could have Pierre-De Aza-Rios as your OF with Quentin DHing, but it's going to take 2-3 more weeks of Andruw Jones struggling, maybe even more time than that, before they throw in the towel and look elsewhere. Then the odds would be about 1/4 they would stick with De Aza over an external candidate.

We'll see, Kotsay has been doing pretty well (for him) the last month or so.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Anyone think Berkman could be a decent addition as a DH for the remainder of the year?

He's still my top choice, but others will disagree. His 2010 numbers have been sub-par, but he's turned it on a bit lately. He can be had for a more reasonable price than Dunn, the Astros would be happy to get him off their books for the year. And I think he still has a lot of power and OBP capability that will show up beyond his year's numbers.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
He's still my top choice, but others will disagree. His 2010 numbers have been sub-par, but he's turned it on a bit lately. He can be had for a more reasonable price than Dunn, the Astros would be happy to get him off their books for the year. And I think he still has a lot of power and OBP capability that will show up beyond his year's numbers.

He's got a buyout and costs like $7 million for the rest of the year. His production wouldn't be much better than Adam LaRoche.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)

I agree completely. I'd love to have a true impact bat like Fielder, but if I'm going to roll the dice, I'd take my chances with Berkman over LaRoche. If we eat the majority of his remaining salary, we should be able to get him without giving up Viciedo, Flowers, or Hudson.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
I agree completely. I'd love to have a true impact bat like Fielder, but if I'm going to roll the dice, I'd take my chances with Berkman over LaRoche. If we eat the majority of his remaining salary, we should be able to get him without giving up Viciedo, Flowers, or Hudson.

Love your screen name. It's so uncreative that it's actually creative. :headbang

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
He's got a buyout and costs like $7 million for the rest of the year. His production wouldn't be much better than Adam LaRoche.

See, I feel confident that Berkman will outproduce LaRoche significantly. But I realize its all subjective, none of us can say for sure.

Certainly, if LaRoche can be had for much less in terms of prospects or trade pieces, I might go that way.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
See, I feel confident that Berkman will outproduce LaRoche significantly. But I realize its all subjective, none of us can say for sure.

Certainly, if LaRoche can be had for much less in terms of prospects or trade pieces, I might go that way.

The one thing about LaRouche that intrigues me is his 2nd half numbers. He tends to put up better numbers after the ASB.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
The one thing about LaRouche that intrigues me is his 2nd half numbers. He tends to put up better numbers after the ASB.

There's not a more extreme case of first half, second half splits in baseball than Laroche. His career first half OPS is .777. His career second half OPS is .909.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
Honestly, I'm in the anybody who can help our offense camp.

Either Berkman or LaRoche would probably be a lot better than Kotsay/Jones.

One odd thing about LaRoche this year, is he's been significantly better against lefties than righties, which has not been his career trend.

Berkman will cost even less than LaRoche, because of Lance's very high salary and the buyout.

The only question is whether KW and JR feel he's the piece to put them over the top. I think that's pretty questionable, but he definitely adds a presence to the line-up because of his career accomplishments, and he's not like Griffey, Jr., or Todd Helton coming to town 5 years too late

Maybe 2-3 years later than we'd have liked, but this is the first time the Astros 1) wanted to part with him and 2) won't be asking an arm and a leg.

That Carlos Lee contract was the beginning of the end with that franchise.

Edited by caulfield12