Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
That's approximately the type of package I might settle for if I were Washington...but I'd also listen for better offers as well, and it's probably 50/50 whether or not I'd get one.

It's Kenny Williams, he'll do it. That would be a conservative offer from him. Maybe he can throw in KW Jr.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
I disagree on that being his "Ceiling" if we're defining ceiling as the best player he could possibly be. I just think it's becoming progressively less likely that he'll reach his ceiling

I agree, I just think that will be the most he will achieve as a major league hitter.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
I agree, I just think that will be the most he will achieve as a major league hitter.

Will achieve...i'm starting to agree with you. Could achieve is something different, but that'd take a complete swing restart and overhaul and it looks like he's not up to doing that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
Will achieve...i'm starting to agree with you. Could achieve is something different, but that'd take a complete swing restart and overhaul and it looks like he's not up to doing that.

He's more than capable of being a top notch defender though.

Will there be any competition for Dunn?

Who else needs him?

If so, THAT will determine the price.

If they are just arbitrarily asking for a high price, screw them... keep looking rather than be held hostage for an expensive rental.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
Will there be any competition for Dunn?

Who else needs him?

If they are just arbitrarily asking for a high price, screw them... keep looking rather than be held hostage for an expensive rental.

The Angels.

They don't have a farm that's much better than ours.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)

That would only be the case if there were no upside to holding on to him for the Nats. The Nats do have potential upside in holding onto him, in terms of 2 draft picks and possible improved ticket sales (especially with Strasburg generating more interest in the team and already getting screwed on run support).

They can ask for an arbitrarily high price in terms of a minimum deal that has to be more valuable to them than the 2 picks they'd get if he walked.

Even though he hasn't been as sharp as early in the season, with his stuff and to a team not contending this year, I imagine Santos would have some value, although it obviously is a hit to the MLB roster for this season for the Sox, so it would have to be a balancing act.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
Even though he hasn't been as sharp as early in the season, with his stuff and to a team not contending this year, I imagine Santos would have some value, although it obviously is a hit to the MLB roster for this season for the Sox, so it would have to be a balancing act.

Santos is a big part of this team's future. With both Putz and Jenks possibly leaving after this season, you need him more than ever.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
Santos is a big part of this team's future. With both Putz and Jenks possibly leaving after this season, you need him more than ever.

Well it is KW, I don't rule anything out. You never know how they scout their own players, maybe they have concerns about him.

I would agree that he has been impressive and a cheap power pen arm under a teams control for a few years is valuable, but it is an asset and with KW it's worth mentioning. To the Nats a future pen of Storen and Santos could be intriguing

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
Wait... isn't he talking about Santos Rodriguez? Are you talking about Sergio Santos?

Sergio should be a guy with some serious trade value right now if the Sox wanted to make a move for a bat, and they can do so without killing their bullpen for this year since Santos is the 4th guy in it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
Sergio should be a guy with some serious trade value right now if the Sox wanted to make a move for a bat, and they can do so without killing their bullpen for this year since Santos is the 4th guy in it.

If Kenny plans on paying Putz and Jenks a combined $14 million next season and not risk other off-season acquisitions, I wouldn't really care if he traded Santos away. But he's not going to do that.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
If Kenny plans on paying Putz and Jenks a combined $14 million next season and not risk other off-season acquisitions, I wouldn't really care if he traded Santos away. But he's not going to do that.

Which is why I think a trade is a difficult move to make period this year, because we have 10 or so MLB level roster spots to fill next year and by my count, $12 million or so to do so with.

We're going to have serious need for Santos, Hudson, and Flowers next year, Viciedo and Morel would be useful as well, and we don't have the money to find FA replacements if they are traded away, nor do we have other obvious backup options.

You can pick which guy out of Jenks, Konerko, AJ, Putz, etc., you want to bring back, but once you start talking about bringing back more than 1 of them, you start running out of money.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
He's talking about Sergio.

Correct, Sergio Santos. I do apologize, I'm not overly familiar with the Sox farm system, I didn't know there was a guy with a similar name, would have made it clearer in my first post.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
Which is why I think a trade is a difficult move to make period this year, because we have 10 or so MLB level roster spots to fill next year and by my count, $12 million or so to do so with.

We're going to have serious need for Santos, Hudson, and Flowers next year, Viciedo and Morel would be useful as well, and we don't have the money to find FA replacements if they are traded away, nor do we have other obvious backup options.

You can pick which guy out of Jenks, Konerko, AJ, Putz, etc., you want to bring back, but once you start talking about bringing back more than 1 of them, you start running out of money.

you can always roll the dice and think that a big year this year increases the payroll for next year. Also, are you basing the 12m on next year compared to this year's payroll? because JR has said they have money for the right player and supposedly offered Damon 7m, so that could get up to around 18-19m with that.

Again, it's a balancing act of this year and future years, but it's KW and he'll explore every possible option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:17 AM)

I think that Santos' value is still somewhat limited at this point. Sure, he's cheap and he looks promising, but he hasn't even been a pitcher for two full years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
I can see the Nats having an interest in:

Viciedo, Flowers, Hudson, Danks 2, & Santos. I assume it would take between 2 and 3 of those guys depending on who we give up. Dunn is under contract for one more year?

He's a rental.

So I'm thinking one of those guys, maybe 2 of them if you're talking about Danks2, and a throw-in or two.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
you can always roll the dice and think that a big year this year increases the payroll for next year. Also, are you basing the 12m on next year compared to this year's payroll? because JR has said they have money for the right player and supposedly offered Damon 7m, so that could get up to around 18-19m with that.

Again, it's a balancing act of this year and future years, but it's KW and he'll explore every possible option.

With how this team opened the season, I think there's probably a serious salary cut looming. At best I'm hoping we stay level, at about $100 million, but I think $95 ish is more likely. It's hard to guess where D1 and Q's arbitration figures will come in (depends in part on performance the rest of this season too), but I'd say that $12 million available strikes me as a likely #, $15 million is plausible if the team keeps its salary steady and neither D1 nor Q win a huge arbitration settlement, and $18+ means that their revenue position is better than we've heard and they're willing to gamble a bit more on player salaries.

Meanwhile, I count 10 spots to fill for next year. Closer, RH setup man, LH setup man, DH, all 4 bench spots, 1b, Catcher, 5th starter. And that keeps whipping boys like Teahen and Beckham in the lineup as-is.