Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
LaRoche would be a lot cheaper monetarily. Berkman is still due about $7M the rest of the way ($14.5M this year) + $2M buyout and that's assuming he drops the caveat that his $15M option must be picked up if traded. LaRoche will only make a little over $2M the rest of the way ($4.5M this year) +$1.5M buyout.

But, because of Berkman's salary, I'd guess it might take fewer prospects/players in value to get him, than to get LaRoche.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
But, because of Berkman's salary, I'd guess it might take fewer prospects/players in value to get him, than to get LaRoche.

Completely disagree. As someone just mentioned, Berkman's a legend there. Astros aren't just going to give him away.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)

Drayton McClane has said he will eat more salary though if it means better prospects...

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
Completely disagree. As someone just mentioned, Berkman's a legend there. Astros aren't just going to give him away.

Give? No. Be in a hurry to get a big salary off the books and get some prospects in a bad system? Heck yes. I think ultimately, LaRoche will cost more in prospects/players, but less in money, so the deals may be similar in overall effect. I'd try to widdle down deals for both as far as possible, look at each as a complete deal, and pick one. I think they will be close.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
Also for the sake of argument this is what ZIPS has them both doing the rest of the way:

Berkman: .275/.386/.505/.891, .390 wOBA, 12 HR

LaRoche: .276/.354/.504/.858, .373 wOBA, 12 HR

I am perfectly happy with either one.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 06:11 PM)
Give? No. Be in a hurry to get a big salary off the books and get some prospects in a bad system? Heck yes. I think ultimately, LaRoche will cost more in prospects/players, but less in money, so the deals may be similar in overall effect. I'd try to widdle down deals for both as far as possible, look at each as a complete deal, and pick one. I think they will be close.

And which prospects are we going to give them? They have no need for Flowers, as catching is the only position they have youth at. Hudson's not going anywhere either.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
And which prospects are we going to give them? They have no need for Flowers, as catching is the only position they have youth at. Hudson's not going anywhere either.

Flowers' bat is still what is seen as his highest value, despite his mediocre performance in AAA so far this year. And while I am not suggesting we SHOULD do this, there are players like Viciedo, Beckham, Danks, Morel, some relievers in the system and others that do have some value. Whether or not that would get it done, or if you even want to, is another question.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
Dunn just hit two more HRs tonight. Man he'd be too perfect.

A lot of reports are linking Dunn to the Sox, but I just don't see how that deal could require anything but Beckham and/or Quentin. For a potential 1/2 a season of Dunn?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
Reports out west on the radio are that the Nats aren't going to trade Dunn, but instead try to resign him.

Might just be a ploy by the GM to hold as much leverage as possible though.

I think the deal was discussed and Kenny walked away. No way KW was gonna meet their demands. I say target Berkman and get it done.

I think that KW will not just get a left handed bat for the sake of getting a left handed bat. If Dunn or Fielder doesn't fly - look for him to explore right handers.

Speaking of which - what RH bats could be had?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
I think that KW will not just get a left handed bat for the sake of getting a left handed bat. If Dunn or Fielder doesn't fly - look for him to explore right handers.

Speaking of which - what RH bats could be had?

This team really does have enough right handed pop though - Konerko, Rios, Quentin, and you can even consider guys like Jones, Ramirez, and possibly Beckham and Viciedo. They have no threat from the left side whatsoever, unless you consider Kotsay, Pierzynski, or Teahen threatening.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
This team really does have enough right handed pop though - Konerko, Rios, Quentin, and you can even consider guys like Jones, Ramirez, and possibly Beckham and Viciedo. They have no threat from the left side whatsoever, unless you consider Kotsay, Pierzynski, or Teahen threatening.

Juan Pierre is one scary SOB from the left side of the plate. I mean, he is a threat to get an extra base hit and drive in a run at least once every 30 AB's or so.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
I think the deal was discussed and Kenny walked away. No way KW was gonna meet their demands. I say target Berkman and get it done.

Ya Buster Olney reported yesterday the Nats asked for Beckham. The sox said no.

Buster_ESPN

Heard this: Would-be free agent Adam Dunn has just about lost interest in working out a long-term deal with the Nationals because of what he perceives to be a lack of urgency from the team in working out a new deal. He does not feel there seems to be the same amount of interest as he has in working out contract. The Nationals are fast approaching fish-or-cut bait time with the slugger who is fast approaching his seventh consecutive with 38 or more homers. At a time when power is becoming more scarce in the game, his value would appear to be high in the forthcoming free agent market -- if the Nationals don't move fast.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
Buster_ESPN

Heard this: Would-be free agent Adam Dunn has just about lost interest in working out a long-term deal with the Nationals because of what he perceives to be a lack of urgency from the team in working out a new deal. He does not feel there seems to be the same amount of interest as he has in working out contract. The Nationals are fast approaching fish-or-cut bait time with the slugger who is fast approaching his seventh consecutive with 38 or more homers. At a time when power is becoming more scarce in the game, his value would appear to be high in the forthcoming free agent market -- if the Nationals don't move fast.

The closer we get to the deadline, the lower the National's asking price is going to be. Adam Dunn will be traded.

Olney continues . . .

Buster_ESPN

The Nationals have had conversations with other teams about possible deals involving Dunn, and it figures they will trade him if they don't work out a contract extension in the days ahead. The White Sox are among the interested teams.