Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
He's a rental.

So I'm thinking one of those guys, maybe 2 of them if you're talking about Danks2, and a throw-in or two.

He's a rental and good draft picks.

In regards to Santos, if the Nats want Santos for Dunn, that's all they get from me, and I'm still not sure I like it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
He's a rental and good draft picks.

In regards to Santos, if the Nats want Santos for Dunn, that's all they get from me, and I'm still not sure I like it.

Yeah, which is what I'm a bit afraid of.

The Nationals might ask for two of our top prospects. I don't think that's worth it.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
Anyone know the progress of Phegley? If we were to trade Flowers, it be nice to have some other C in the system to look forward to.

He's been on the DL the last few months with a serious medical condition and has just gotten back to playing. He has 31 at bats this year at high A ball Winston Salem, and has a .593 OPS. He's been assigned to rookie ball at Bristol this week since the Dash are on break to get some at bats in. If we're very, very lucky, he's 2-3 years away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
With how this team opened the season, I think there's probably a serious salary cut looming. At best I'm hoping we stay level, at about $100 million, but I think $95 ish is more likely. It's hard to guess where D1 and Q's arbitration figures will come in (depends in part on performance the rest of this season too), but I'd say that $12 million available strikes me as a likely #, $15 million is plausible if the team keeps its salary steady and neither D1 nor Q win a huge arbitration settlement, and $18+ means that their revenue position is better than we've heard and they're willing to gamble a bit more on player salaries.

Meanwhile, I count 10 spots to fill for next year. Closer, RH setup man, LH setup man, DH, all 4 bench spots, 1b, Catcher, 5th starter. And that keeps whipping boys like Teahen and Beckham in the lineup as-is.

but doesn't how they end the season effect that too? For the Braves series they averaged about 29k in attendance, that included a weekend day game and the typhoon. I can't recall, but don't they still have the NYY and Bos series left at home, which always draw well, and if the Sox stay in it they have series against the Twins and Det.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
but doesn't how they end the season effect that too?

Sure it does, but it's harder to play catch-up. There's only so many tickets you can sell down the stretch; even if they're stellar at sales from here on out, you can't make up for the games you've already played.

As of right now, we're over 3000 tickets/game fewer than last year's pace and nearly 6000 tickets/game behind the 2008 pace. And 12,000 tickets/game behind the 2006 pace. That's 1/3 lower ticket sales than 2006, when we first hit the approximate salary level we're currently at.

A general thought I have, regardless of who we go after: if we're going to acquire a bat, we need to do it as quickly as possible. This team is already a bat short (and really has been two bats short all year up until Quentin's recent turnaround), and now that we're back in the American League, this fact hurts us especially so. I don't think we're going to go back to being a nearly 10 games under .500 level team because our pitching is back on track, but this team is very unlikely to be in the playoffs unless another bat is acquired. Thus, if we're making a move, we need to do it as quickly as possible.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
A general thought I have, regardless of who we go after: if we're going to acquire a bat, we need to do it as quickly as possible. This team is already a bat short (and really has been two bats short all year up until Quentin's recent turnaround), and now that we're back in the American League, this fact hurts us especially so. I don't think we're going to go back to being a nearly 10 games under .500 level team because our pitching is back on track, but this team is very unlikely to be in the playoffs unless another bat is acquired. Thus, if we're making a move, we need to do it as quickly as possible.

I agree with this 100% and luckily the Sun-Times article points to KW agreeing with us.

I love how we are debating whether or not just Santos is worth Dunn. Guess what, any "name" impact player is going to cost our top prospects, thats just how it is. If you want someone like Dunn, or Fielder etc, we are going to have to give up some talent.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:46 AM)
I have no problem at all about giving up Santos. At this point, he’s an unknown commodity long term and an organization should never pause over the idea of trading a relief pitcher to add a critical piece to the offense.

I usually agree, but it's a RP with over 5 years of team control left, as opposed to an offensive upgrade for less than half a season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
With how this team opened the season, I think there's probably a serious salary cut looming. At best I'm hoping we stay level, at about $100 million, but I think $95 ish is more likely.

I think 90 million is even more likely (although if we stay in the race the rest of the way, 95 is close). Only way we can even think about keeping the payroll in 9 figures is a playoff appearance IMO. Up through early June though, I thought we were on course to end up under 90 next year without question, so there has been mass improvement.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
Sure it does, but it's harder to play catch-up. There's only so many tickets you can sell down the stretch; even if they're stellar at sales from here on out, you can't make up for the games you've already played.

As of right now, we're over 3000 tickets/game fewer than last year's pace and nearly 6000 tickets/game behind the 2008 pace. And 12,000 tickets/game behind the 2006 pace. That's 1/3 lower ticket sales than 2006, when we first hit the approximate salary level we're currently at.

Whats the difference in ticket prices then vs now?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
I love how we are debating whether or not just Santos is worth Dunn. Guess what, any "name" impact player is going to cost our top prospects, thats just how it is. If you want someone like Dunn, or Fielder etc, we are going to have to give up some talent.

If the Sox could get Dunn or Fielder to sign a 4-year extension as part of the deal, it might be worth it. But I get the feeling that both of these guys want to test the FA market. And with all of the turnover that will occur next year and the $68M already committed to salary, the Sox are likely going to need both Flowers and Viciedo.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
I usually agree, but it's a RP with over 5 years of team control left, as opposed to an offensive upgrade for less than half a season.

Still, it's a guy that can give you 5 innings a week tops as opposed to a guy who gets on base and hits for power for all 9 innings. Coupled with the draft picks we'll get at the end of the year, we stand to lose nothing other then a good arm who comes with an even better story. Putz can inherit his innings this year, and a guy like Nunez or Santeliz can have a go at it next.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
Whats the difference in ticket prices then vs now?

I'm sure it's been increased since then, but I don't think it's gone up by 33% (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and there's the further issue of possible advertising loss due to things like the recession (i.e. the Pontiac Fun-damentals deck).

Either way, I think we're pretty lucky to have held salary level the last few years despite declining gate receipts, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small total cutback next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
I'm sure it's been increased since then, but I don't think it's gone up by 33% (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and there's the further issue of possible advertising loss due to things like the recession (i.e. the Pontiac Fun-damentals deck).

Either way, I think we're pretty lucky to have held salary level the last few years despite declining gate receipts, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small total cutback next year.

The fundamentals deck is still sponsored (by Xfinity), but we've definitely had advertising loss, and you're also right about ticket prices (unless they've actually went up that much and I somehow didn't notice). I'm also surprised the payroll didn't take a big cut after last year though, so who knows.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
The fundamentals deck is still sponsored (by Xfinity),

Oh, I'm sure things are still sponsored, but when one sponsor pulls out and you have to find another...there's a good chance they won't be paying the same rate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
Oh, I'm sure things are still sponsored, but when one sponsor pulls out and you have to find another...there's a good chance they won't be paying the same rate.

Just look at the Peter Francis Geraci Bullpen Bar as a perfect example.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
Still, it's a guy that can give you 5 innings a week tops as opposed to a guy who gets on base and hits for power for all 9 innings. Coupled with the draft picks we'll get at the end of the year, we stand to lose nothing other then a good arm who comes with an even better story. Putz can inherit his innings this year, and a guy like Nunez or Santeliz can have a go at it next.

Beyond 2010, I'd expect Santos to pitch in a lot of high leverage situations if he stays. I think it depends on how confident you are in other young guys in your system to make up a lot of your pen. Santos looks pretty exceptional at this stage in his development, and your best reliever's innings are worth more than most.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)

Ahh yeah, true. I don't think any sponsors are paying the same rate for any team right now that they were pre economic crash though.