The history of the Soxtalk Whipping Boy

knightni

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
I don't think I ever hated a Sox player as much as I hated him. That asshole was the dumbest baseball player I've ever watched in my life.

I'm glad somebody else is with me on this one.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
mike jackson was hot garbage in his short time here

Oh man, another good name. My friends and I simply called him "the arsonist". We never referred to him by his real name ever.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
Someone should try to put a whipping boy team for Soxtalk...

C- Toby Hall

1B- Mark Kotsay

2B- D'Angelo Jimenez

SS- Orlando Cabrera (Not really sure here. Can't possibly hate Valentin or Graffanino, Alexei is boneheaded but likable. Others like Alex Cintron were too irrelevant.)

3B- Wilson Betemit

OFs- Darin Erstad/Dewayne Wise/Nick Swisher/Rob Mackowiak/Timo Perez

SP- Javier Vazquez

SP- Danny Wright

SP- Orlando Hernandez

SP- Scott Schoeneweis

SP- Batrolo Colon (mainly round 2 and his mysterious disappearances)

Bullpen...Where to begin? Well, with Randy Williams obviously, but we have had some awful relievers over the years

Randy Williams

Cliff Politte

Mike Jackson

Rick White (not really a whipping boy, but man he was bad)

Billy Koch

Scott Linebrink

Mike MacDougal

Jose Panigua

Jose Vizcaino (probably not as bad as the rest, but when your nick name is the "Jizz Can" you gonna have a spot here)

Damaso Marte (another one who who wasn't terrible, but a whipping boy in 2005 he was)

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
C- Toby Hall

1B- Mark Kotsay

2B- D'Angelo Jimenez

SS- Orlando Cabrera (Not really sure here. Can't possibly hate Valentin or Graffanino, Alexei is boneheaded but likable. Others like Alex Cintron were too irrelevant.)

3B- Wilson Betemit

SP- Javier Vazquez

SP- Danny Wright

SP- Orlando Hernandez

SP- Scott Schoeneweis

Bullpen...Where to begin? Well, with Randy Williams obviously, but we have had some awful relievers over the years

Randy Williams

Cliff Politte

Mike Jackson

Billy Koch

Scott Linebrink

Mike MacDougal

Jose Panigua

Jose Vizcaino (probably not as bad as the rest, but when your nick name is the "Jizz Can" you gonna have a spot here)

Damaso Marte (another one who who wasn't terrible, but a whipping boy in 2005 he was)

Not sure how Wilson Betemit plays but Alex Cintron is too irrevelant? El Duque is loved here and the way he got out of jams was just unbelievable and I think more people hate Colon for leaving the first time than his forgetable 2nd stint with the wsox.

El Duque obviously more than redeemed himself in the playoff but I seem to remember him being hated as a starter. Pretty sure you could hear a collective cringe from White Sox nation when Ozzie put him in against the Red Sox. It did not help he took the last playoff roster spot from (at the time) fan favorite Brandon McCarthy.

Wilson Betemit was more of a personal choice. I don't know if I've ever seen a worse fielder.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
El Duque obviously more than redeemed himself in the playoff but I seem to remember him being hated as a starter. Pretty sure you could hear a collective cringe from White Sox nation when Ozzie put him in against the Red Sox. It did not help he took the last playoff roster spot from (at the time) fan favorite Brandon McCarthy.

Wilson Betemit was more of a personal choice. I don't know if I've ever seen a worse fielder.

The bolded is definitely true, although that choice paid off, and was understandable at the time as well since Brandon was very green at the time, didn't have much bullpen experience, and El Duque had all of those playoff notches on his belt. I didn't groan when he came in against Boston though, I was just pissed at Marte for sucking/glad he was at least out of the game.

Heh, I've never said that Randy Williams is the worst reliever in Sox history, just that he's one of the worst I've ever seen, is among the leaders in baserunners allowed all time given the number of innings he's thrown and the worst reliever in baseball with at least 24+ IP (though Chad Qualls may have passed him given that he's a f***ing closer with equally outrageous numbers). Oh and I haven't evoked the name of Cliff Politte in years, I really have no idea which was worse, I haven't thought about it at all.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Heh, I've never said that Randy Williams is the worst reliever in Sox history, just that he's one of the worst I've ever seen, is among the leaders in baserunners allowed all time given the number of innings he's thrown and the worst reliever in baseball with at least 24+ IP (though Chad Qualls may have passed him given that he's a f***ing closer with equally outrageous numbers). Oh and I haven't evoked the name of Cliff Politte in years, I really have no idea which was worse, I haven't thought about it at all.

SO I'M RIGHT

C- Toby Hall

1B- Mark Kotsay

2B- D'Angelo Jimenez

3B- Wilson Betemit

SP- Javier Vazquez

SP- Danny Wright

SP- Orlando Hernandez

SP- Scott Schoeneweis

Randy Williams

Cliff Politte

Mike Jackson

Billy Koch

Scott Linebrink

Mike MacDougal

Jose Panigua

Where the hell did he end up?

C- Toby Hall

1B- Mark Kotsay

2B- D'Angelo Jimenez

3B- Wilson Betemit

SP- Javier Vazquez

SP- Danny Wright

SP- Orlando Hernandez

SP- Scott Schoeneweis

Randy Williams

Cliff Politte

Mike Jackson

Billy Koch

Scott Linebrink

Mike MacDougal

Jose Panigua

When Toby was signed, he was gonna be such a key component to that year's team. Then when he was injured in ST, everyone thought the season was over cause our backup C was out for the season. Then he finally played in a Sox uniform and easily made his way onto this list.

Edited by LittleHurt05

f there is Pods hate on this board (not talking 2009 when he was actually good) then it's a correction to the excessive ballwashing and unrealistic expectations.

There is Pods hate. People were mocking him for ending the game with a K despite the fact he drove in 2 of KC's three runs.

I still don't understand whipping boy status of guys like Pods who has provided one of the greatest individual memories in the history of Chicago sports.

Just baffles me.

Maybe it is the hot wife theory.

I know he'd have a statue built of him if he was a Cub for what he did in the WS.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
There is Pods hate. People were mocking him for ending the game with a K despite the fact he drove in 2 of KC's three runs.

I still don't understand whipping boy status of guys like Pods who has provided one of the greatest individual memories in the history of Chicago sports.

Just baffles me.

I know he'd have a statue built of him if he was a Cub for what he did in the WS.

Greg, that was 5 years ago. Let it go man.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)

Just baffles me.

Your feelings on everything related to the 2005 White Sox are a bit, right? Nobody could actually feel like you do about them, even now, 5 years later.

Your feelings on everything related to the 2005 White Sox are a bit, right? Nobody could actually feel like you do about them, even now, 5 years later.

Do you remember the home run?? How big it was?? Anybody who cheered that home run and slugged shots and drinks after that home run and kissed hot stranger girls in the bars after the home run has no right to say a negative word about Pods.

My god.

Cub fans are still talking about how great those 69 Cubs were and they choked and didn't win squat that year.

Pods rocks.

Oh I forgot Pods got picked off a few times in a season where the team wasn't going to win anything significant anyway.

Pods gets the last laugh: He has the hottest wife and has money to burn.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
Do you remember the home run?? How big it was?? Anybody who cheered that home run and slugged shots and drinks after that home run and kissed hot stranger girls in the bars after the home run has no right to say a negative word about Pods.

My god.

Cub fans are still talking about how great those 69 Cubs were and they choked and didn't win squat that year.

Pods rocks.

Oh I forgot Pods got picked off a few times in a season where the team wasn't going to win anything significant anyway.

Yep, definitely a bit. I appreciate your help in solving the mystery!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)

My god.

Pods rocks.

Of course we remember the homer greg. But you can't hang your hat on that forever. Geoff Blum hit what was arguably a bigger home run, and I have absolutely no attachment to him whatsoever. He is nothing.

And Pods can laugh all he wants to, because he is, once again, on a team that is destined to do absolutely nothing. The Sox atleast have a shot in hell at winning something this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Yep, definitely a bit. I appreciate your help in solving the mystery!

This is the same reason we have 50 year old men walking around who would proudly blow Mike Singletary if he dropped his pants and pointed to his dong.