The history of the Soxtalk Whipping Boy

knightni

What did you do when Pods hit the home run?

Don't you feel a little dirty five years later bagging on him after enjoying that moment so much?

This is one of the things wrong with today's world by the way. Past performance means nothing anywhere.

He gets picked off a few times in a meaningless season ... he's a bum.

You have a bad week at your job nowadays. Some team meeting will throw you out on your butt.

Pods rocks!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
There is Pods hate. People were mocking him for ending the game with a K despite the fact he drove in 2 of KC's three runs.

I still don't understand whipping boy status of guys like Pods who has provided one of the greatest individual memories in the history of Chicago sports.

Just baffles me.

Maybe it is the hot wife theory.

I know he'd have a statue built of him if he was a Cub for what he did in the WS.

Greg, don't get mad at us because the White Sox chose to give Konerko, Crede, Uribe, & El Duque a statue together and didn't include Pods. I'm sure he was next on the list and not a single person here would have been upset if he had made the cut.

This is the same reason we have 50 year old men walking around who would proudly blow Mike Singletary if he dropped his pants and pointed to his dong.

Yes but we Sox fans are so much better than Bears fans.

We don't care about greats like Singletary. That was ONE YEAR! One Super Bowl by god.

We Sox fans ... we demand to win it every year!

Yeah let's see how many we'll have won when we are on our deathbeds. It's not easy, folks.

Sox will be lucky to win two more WS in your lifetime. One probably will be more like it.

.... but he got picked off a few times.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
What did you do when Pods hit the home run?

Don't you feel a little dirty five years later bagging on him after enjoying that moment so much?

This is one of the things wrong with today's world by the way. Past performance means nothing anywhere.

He gets picked off a few times in a meaningless season ... he's a bum.

You have a bad week at your job nowadays. Some team meeting will throw you out on your butt.

Pods rocks!

I punched a hole in my TV when Podsednik hit the home run. I sat there and I screamed "I wanted the White Sox to win but not because of Scott Podsednik!" Then I soiled myself, and laid down in the fetal position and bawled.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
This is the same reason we have 50 year old men walking around who would proudly blow Mike Singletary if he dropped his pants and pointed to his dong.

Ahh the '85 Bears. Another thing revered by some that I don't understand. That's even worse because it's 25 years ago though. At least the '05 White Sox are still relatively recent.

I wonder why some people don't understand that you can enjoy a championship and still be critical of those who played a role in it. Not to mention, store a championship and it's glory in your memory bank but otherwise let it go.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (greg775misquoted @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
Yes but we Bears fans are so much better than Sox fans.

We don't care about greats like Podsednik. That was ONE YEAR! One World Series by god.

We Bears fans ... we demand to win it every year!

Yeah let's see how many we'll have won when we are on our deathbeds. It's not easy, folks.

Bears will be lucky to win two more Superbowls in your lifetime. One probably will be more like it.

I wonder why some people don't understand that you can enjoy a championship and still be critical of those who played a role in it. Not to mention, store a championship and it's glory in your memory bank but otherwise let it go.

The guys's home run was one of the top moments in Chicago sports history ... period.

The guy should have a lifetime pass from fans in Chicago.

Case closed.

When you say Pods, you should think of one of the greatest moments in Sox history. One of the best days of your sports life.

If you are "critical" of him my opinion is you should feel ashamed. That's my take.

Paulie isn't getting any younger. Will he ultimately be booed out of town if he sticks around to finish his career here? Odds are his final season whenever it is will not be a pretty one. Where do you draw the line??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
The guys's home run was one of the top moments in Chicago sports history ... period.

Case closed.

When you say Pods, you should think of one of the greatest moments in Sox history. One of the best days of your sports life.

If you are "critical" of him my opinion is you should feel ashamed. That's my take.

When I think of Pods, I think of a mediocre player who had a really nice run for the first half to two thirds of the 2005 season, then hit an incredibly important and awesome home run, which was shocking in large part because he was a mediocre player. I'm not sure how you look at it any other way than that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)

Case closed.

Paul Konerko's grand slam had more to do with the White Sox winning that game than Scott Podsednik's home run. In fact, Paul Konerko's home run increased the White Sox chances of winning that game by 58%. They had a 28% chance to win that game before Konerko came up to home plate, and they had an 86% chance to win it after he crossed home plate.

Now, why doesn't Konerko get a lifetime pass, but Podsednik does? Because Podsednik is cuter?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Oh in case you want to rip Pods some more. Read No. 4 on this list. Look at the pure emotion in the picture. Wow.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb,203435

What a stupid list. Podsednik's HR wasn't even the biggest HR in that game. Konerko's granny is the biggest hit in Sox history IMO. A walkoff in a tie game isn't THAT big.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
I still want to know why Geoff Blum doesn't get a lifetime pass. His homer is what basically turned a potentially longer series into a sweep.

I still think A.J.'s "heads up" baserunning was the biggest turning point in the sox run. He doesn't do that, and the Angels potentially take a 2-0 series lead and who knows what could of happened. (especially in player's mindsets) Angels fans STILL b**** about that play till this day.

Edited by SoxAce

Now, why doesn't Konerko get a lifetime pass, but Podsednik does? Because Podsednik is cuter?

In my book, he does.

I was asking you guys the question. Are you going to mock Paulie and boo him out of town if he remains a White Sox and has a simply horrible final year someday? He's not getting any younger and the potential of him having a rotten season to end his career some year is there.

I think I know the answer. Dye was mocked heavily last year during his second half struggles.

If you want to be a fan who lives for today only, fine. We differ.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
Paul Konerko's grand slam had more to do with the White Sox winning that game than Scott Podsednik's home run. In fact, Paul Konerko's home run increased the White Sox chances of winning that game by 58%. They had a 28% chance to win that game before Konerko came up to home plate, and they had an 86% chance to win it after he crossed home plate.

What were the Sox's chances of winning after Jenks gave up the tying run?

Dye was "mocked" because he sucked. Podsednik was "mocked" because he's just not a very good baseball player to begin with. If Konerko flops in the second half and he performs terribly in the second half and it's a big reason why the Sox finish in 3rd place, then he will be "mocked" too. It's not as if we don't appreciate them, but we just don't live in the past.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
In my book, he does.

I was asking you guys the question. Are you going to mock Paulie and boo him out of town if he remains a White Sox and has a simply horrible final year someday? He's not getting any younger and the potential of him having a rotten season to end his career some year is there.

I think I know the answer. Dye was mocked heavily last year during his second half struggles.

If you want to be a fan who lives for today only, fine. We differ.

No, i'm not going to mock Paulie because unlike Scott Podsednik, he's a good player. In fact, he's one of the best players in the history of our franchise. Pods is a prancer who was good for about half a season (well, and I guess he had a little run last year) and hit a big home run.

So, in review:

Elite player in franchise history who was the best position player in the postseason for an 11-1 team and will have his number retired=a lot of leeway

A twinkle toed slap hitter who was good for about half a season, had a little "run" in '09 and hit a really big home run=some good memories of glory, but free reign to be made fun of.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

If Konerko flops in the second half and he performs terribly in the second half and it's a big reason why the Sox finish in 3rd place, then he will be "mocked" too. It's not as if we don't appreciate them, but we just don't live in the past.

Case closed, your honor.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
What were the Sox's chances of winning after Jenks gave up the tying run?

After he gave it up, they were 54% (-34% wPa from 88%). After he got the final out in the top of the 9th, they went up to 65% (+11% wPa). Uribe's out was a -6% wPa, so it was down to 59%, and Podsednik's sealed the game and his wPa was 41%.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
I still want to know why Geoff Blum doesn't get a lifetime pass. His homer is what basically turned a potentially longer series into a sweep.

Has this been answered? Because I'd love to hear an explanation.

There cannot be a former player i will dislike more in my lifetime than scott podsednik. Quite the task at hand for all future players, let me tell you that much. When i see podsednik's name is brought up? I cringe with disgust. When i see his face? I look away, grab a garbage can, and vomit until i can vomit no longer.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
Because heroes of sports championship seasons deserve better than that. Unless you buy them, championships are exceedingly rare.

Should USC fans still give OJ Simpson a free pass due to the title in '67 or is it OK for them to boo him now????