The history of the Soxtalk Whipping Boy

knightni

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
I still think A.J.'s "heads up" baserunning was the biggest turning point in the sox run. He doesn't do that, and the Angels potentially take a 2-0 series lead and who knows what could of happened. (especially in player's mindsets) Angels fans STILL b**** about that play till this day.

Its either that or Orlando Hernandez's disappearing act.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
Its either that or Orlando Hernandez's disappearing act.

I'd put the AJ play above that. Even if we lose the El Duque game, we're up 2-1 in a best of 5 and have a home game left. If we lose the AJ game, we're 0-2 headed west for 3 in a row. That'd have been rough.

There cannot be a former player i will dislike more in my lifetime than scott podsednik. Quite the task at hand for all future players, let me tell you that much. When i see podsednik's name is brought up? I cringe with disgust. When i see his face? I look away, grab a garbage can, and vomit until i can vomit no longer.

Was this supposed to be in green?

Or did he punchyou in a bar? Or yu jealous of his hot wife?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
Was this supposed to be in green?

Or did he punchyou in a bar? Or yu jealous of his hot wife?

I have never once used green. Nor do i intend to. It's for imbeciles that cannot comprehend sarcasm and need to be led in the right direction.

Though, knowing the green system that is here, i just pretend everything you say is in green, and that you don't believe any of what you say. It makes things much easier on myself.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Though, knowing the green system that is here, i just pretend everything you say is in green, and that you don't believe any of what you say. It makes things much easier on myself.

I've always just assumed that he's either Kalapse's or your alter ego designed solely to troll the rest of the boards.

Nor do i intend to. It's for imbeciles that cannot comprehend sarcasm and need to be led in the right direction.

I'm far from an imbecile.

I'd like you to point out what statements I've made that are off base except for the fact you and others may disagree with them.

Just because you disagree with me doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Pods happens to remain a good hitter by the way. I don't hate Pierre especially after getting the only hit vs. the Cubs, but arguably Pods is having a better year and would have been the better option for us.

Didn't your mama tell you the world would be a dull place if everybody just bent over and agreed with everybody else?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
This is the same reason we have 50 year old men walking around who would proudly blow Mike Singletary if he dropped his pants and pointed to his dong.

I, too, lol'd.

I remember in 2006 when the Bears defense was awesome (before injuries, before Rex had gotten too far into his meltdown) and any discussion of the current Bears' defense would inevitably draw some grandpa calling into the radio, or posting on the blog, wherever, s***ting his pants screaming about how he doesn't care what numbers say, this defense couldn't hold a candle to the '85 squad, etc, as if anyone brought the subject up or even cared.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
I still think A.J.'s "heads up" baserunning was the biggest turning point in the sox run. He doesn't do that, and the Angels potentially take a 2-0 series lead and who knows what could of happened. (especially in player's mindsets) Angels fans STILL b**** about that play till this day.

Awesome post!

To those who still don't think Cubs fans would erect a statue for Pods for his home run in the WS had he done it for the Cubs:

I go to the Sun Times site and there is a story on there today about the 1969 Cubs reliving some incident in a game in July.

"On July 8, 1969, the first-place Cubs and Fergie Jenkins were leading the Mets 3-1 in the ninth inning at Shea Stadium when Young misplayed one fly ball into a double and had another fly ball fall out of his glove as he raced back to the wall. The Mets scored three runs and won 4-3. It was the Cubs' fourth straight loss and the Mets' fifth straight win to get them within 4 1/2 games of first place.

The Cubs were feeling the heat and Santo, the team captain, didn't help when he publicly criticized Young for -- ironically -- letting his emotions and his offensive struggles get the best of him. "He was thinking of himself, not the team," Santo told reporters after the game. "He had a bad day at the plate, and he's got his head down. Don's a major-league player because of his glove. When he hits, it's a dividend, but when he fails on defense, he's lost -- and today he took us down with him. He put his head between his legs.""

My god. Cub fans still going over every little detail in what turned out to be a horrible season five decades ago and Sox fans are supposed to bury some of their own from a team that won it all five years ago??

The criticism of Pods on here is insane. Some think I should forget 05 when Cub fans are still obsessing over a team that sucked back in 1969?????

Where's the logic people?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
To those who still don't think Cubs fans would erect a statue for Pods for his home run in the WS had he done it for the Cubs:

I go to the Sun Times site and there is a story on there today about the 1969 Cubs reliving some incident in a game in July.

"On July 8, 1969, the first-place Cubs and Fergie Jenkins were leading the Mets 3-1 in the ninth inning at Shea Stadium when Young misplayed one fly ball into a double and had another fly ball fall out of his glove as he raced back to the wall. The Mets scored three runs and won 4-3. It was the Cubs' fourth straight loss and the Mets' fifth straight win to get them within 4 1/2 games of first place.

The Cubs were feeling the heat and Santo, the team captain, didn't help when he publicly criticized Young for -- ironically -- letting his emotions and his offensive struggles get the best of him. "He was thinking of himself, not the team," Santo told reporters after the game. "He had a bad day at the plate, and he's got his head down. Don's a major-league player because of his glove. When he hits, it's a dividend, but when he fails on defense, he's lost -- and today he took us down with him. He put his head between his legs.""

My god. Cub fans still going over every little detail in what turned out to be a horrible season five decades ago and Sox fans are supposed to bury some of their own from a team that won it all five years ago??

The criticism of Pods on here is insane. Some think I should forget 05 when Cub fans are still obsessing over a team that sucked back in 1969?????

Where's the logic people?

We don't want you to be like Cubs fans.

Greg, the reason people don't idolize Scott Podsednik on here is because Sox fans look at the bigger picture. The entire 25 man roster did something that contributed to that legendary postseason run. Even Dustin Hermanson's contributions, his negative contribution, allowed for a hero in Geoff Blum to appear from the bowels of Minute Maid Stadium and thrusted him into a legendary category (without Play Index, I can't see those people who have a career OPS of 5.000 in World Series history...Kirk Gibson is one of them). Carl Everett grounded out to the right side, which allowed Willie Harris to get to 3B and helped him score the World Series winning run from 3B, and he was driven in by Jermaine Dye - who drove in the 1st run of the World Series. Without AJ Pierzynski's crafty baserunning, Pablo Ozuna doesn't have the opportunity to steal 2nd base and allow him to be driven in by Joe Crede. We all know that Paul Konerko hit a huge grand slam, but we often forget about the 3 run homers he hit in the first inning in back to back games in the ALCS. Orlando Hernandez worked his way out of a bases loaded jam in game 3 of the ALDS, and he has one of the most fascinating playoff lines of all time (1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 2 K). Bobby Jenks was a raw, 24 year old fireballing reliever with a checkered history who was cleaning his act up and becoming a huge part of the big league club. Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts were having the best seasons they ever had, and, really, 2 of the best seasons for any non-closer the Sox had within the past 10 seasons. Tadahito Iguchi didn't have a postseason to write home about, except for the 3 run homer he hit off of David Wells in game 2 of the ALDS to cap off a 4 run comeback in the bottom of the 5th after it looked like the Sox had let their guard down. The entire starting rotation was phenomenal - Jose Contreras continued his run of success into the postseason, Mark Buehrle threw a complete game 5 hitter when the Angels used 4 pitchers and he got a save, Jon Garland threw a complete game, 4 hitter and pitched well enough in game 3 of the World Series to keep the team close, Freddy Garcia threw a 6 hit complete game in game 4 of the ALCS and then threw 8 shutout innings in game 4 of the World Series, only to be relieved by Bobby Jenks, and he got the greatest defensive inning in a World Series from Juan Uribe to win the whole thing.

Do you know why I don't put Scott Podsednik on a pedestal? It's because that entire TEAM made contributions to the 2005 World Series, and I look back on that TEAM as something special and incredible, and I don't isolate one or two players from that and treat them as if they are living legends, but rather look at the collective whole and realize its place in history and how great it was for me to actually see that team win the World Series.

---

And this October 26th, it will be 5 years from the day that the White Sox won 2 World Series games in the same day. Of course I loved that team, but it was 5 years ago, and most of those guys aren't in the league anymore. Those that are still around are generally mediocre players, and I can look at that and recognize that. Just because I criticize players doesn't mean that I've suddenly forgotten what they've done. It just means I'm not living in the past.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
Greg, the reason people don't idolize Scott Podsednik on here is because Sox fans look at the bigger picture. The entire 25 man roster did something that contributed to that legendary postseason run. Even Dustin Hermanson's contributions, his negative contribution, allowed for a hero in Geoff Blum to appear from the bowels of Minute Maid Stadium and thrusted him into a legendary category (without Play Index, I can't see those people who have a career OPS of 5.000 in World Series history...Kirk Gibson is one of them). Carl Everett grounded out to the right side, which allowed Willie Harris to get to 3B and helped him score the World Series winning run from 3B, and he was driven in by Jermaine Dye - who drove in the 1st run of the World Series. Without AJ Pierzynski's crafty baserunning, Pablo Ozuna doesn't have the opportunity to steal 2nd base and allow him to be driven in by Joe Crede. We all know that Paul Konerko hit a huge grand slam, but we often forget about the 3 run homers he hit in the first inning in back to back games in the ALCS. Orlando Hernandez worked his way out of a bases loaded jam in game 3 of the ALDS, and he has one of the most fascinating playoff lines of all time (1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 2 K). Bobby Jenks was a raw, 24 year old fireballing reliever with a checkered history who was cleaning his act up and becoming a huge part of the big league club. Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts were having the best seasons they ever had, and, really, 2 of the best seasons for any non-closer the Sox had within the past 10 seasons. Tadahito Iguchi didn't have a postseason to write home about, except for the 3 run homer he hit off of David Wells in game 2 of the ALDS to cap off a 4 run comeback in the bottom of the 5th after it looked like the Sox had let their guard down. The entire starting rotation was phenomenal - Jose Contreras continued his run of success into the postseason, Mark Buehrle threw a complete game 5 hitter when the Angels used 4 pitchers and he got a save, Jon Garland threw a complete game, 4 hitter and pitched well enough in game 3 of the World Series to keep the team close, Freddy Garcia threw a 6 hit complete game in game 4 of the ALCS and then threw 8 shutout innings in game 4 of the World Series, only to be relieved by Bobby Jenks, and he got the greatest defensive inning in a World Series from Juan Uribe to win the whole thing.

Do you know why I don't put Scott Podsednik on a pedestal? It's because that entire TEAM made contributions to the 2005 World Series, and I look back on that TEAM as something special and incredible, and I don't isolate one or two players from that and treat them as if they are living legends, but rather look at the collective whole and realize its place in history and how great it was for me to actually see that team win the World Series.

---

And this October 26th, it will be 5 years from the day that the White Sox won 2 World Series games in the same day. Of course I loved that team, but it was 5 years ago, and most of those guys aren't in the league anymore. Those that are still around are generally mediocre players, and I can look at that and recognize that. Just because I criticize players doesn't mean that I've suddenly forgotten what they've done. It just means I'm not living in the past.

Great post, but don't give him any ideas. He might start idolizing even more of that team.

To add on to wite's post a little bit...

I still have the newspapers from 5 years ago. They're up in my bedroom wall. They've yellowed. But whenever the Sox are in a rough stretch and I'm bored, I take a look at them, just to remember how great of a time that was.

Everybody should cherish those moments, but you have to understand that this is now 2010. Most of the guys that were on that team massively overachieved and were mediocre players. You can't hold on to that year forever. There's looking back in time and there's right now. And right now, most of those guys are either out of baseball or league average players, including Scott Podsednik.

It's perfectly fine to like those guys for what they did, but to dilute the current situation of the White Sox with something that happened five years ago isn't right.

Edited by chw42