The history of the Soxtalk Whipping Boy

knightni

I still would love to see an answer to this question:

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
I still want to know why Geoff Blum doesn't get a lifetime pass. His homer is what basically turned a potentially longer series into a sweep.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
"On July 8, 1969, the first-place Cubs and Fergie Jenkins were leading the Mets 3-1 in the ninth inning at Shea Stadium when Young misplayed one fly ball into a double and had another fly ball fall out of his glove as he raced back to the wall. The Mets scored three runs and won 4-3. It was the Cubs' fourth straight loss and the Mets' fifth straight win to get them within 4 1/2 games of first place.

The Cubs were feeling the heat and Santo, the team captain, didn't help when he publicly criticized Young for -- ironically -- letting his emotions and his offensive struggles get the best of him. "He was thinking of himself, not the team," Santo told reporters after the game. "He had a bad day at the plate, and he's got his head down. Don's a major-league player because of his glove. When he hits, it's a dividend, but when he fails on defense, he's lost -- and today he took us down with him. He put his head between his legs.""

I remember that game. And I thought alot less of Santo for his comments after it.

Santo was the king of hitting into rally killing double-plays that year. And for him to toss Young under the bus and back over him a few times for performance in one game was ridiculous.

It's the sort of behavior IMO that foretold the collapse... that the Cubs seemed to panic and start infighting while they still had the lead.

It's the sort of behavior IMO that foretold the collapse... that the Cubs seemed to panic and start infighting while they still had the lead.

The game was in early July and the Cubs rebuilt the lead to eight games again.

My point is that the Cubs are still talking about 1969, a year that ended up pretty s***ty, acting like it was yesterday, not five decades ago. And I'm criticized on here for sticking up for a guy who had one of the biggest hits in a World Series five years ago.

I think many Sox fans are insane or insecure. I am not sure what the word is. When I think of Pods and Dye, I have great thoughts and these two guys have been mocked on here a lot. My point was if they had done what they did for the Cubs, they'd own this city not get mocked.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
Paul Konerko's grand slam had more to do with the White Sox winning that game than Scott Podsednik's home run. In fact, Paul Konerko's home run increased the White Sox chances of winning that game by 58%. They had a 28% chance to win that game before Konerko came up to home plate, and they had an 86% chance to win it after he crossed home plate.

Now, why doesn't Konerko get a lifetime pass, but Podsednik does? Because Podsednik is cuter?

That's exactly right. Without Konerko's blast, the Sox lose the game. Without Pods, they still may have won.

I think some of the bigger whipping boys were Uribe, Thome and Contreras.

The biggest whipping boy of all, however, is Greg Walker.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
That's exactly right. Without Konerko's blast, the Sox lose the game. Without Pods, they still may have won.

I think some of the bigger whipping boys were Uribe, Thome and Contreras.

The biggest whipping boy of all, however, is Greg Walker.

also without pods weak throwing arm Houston would never have tied the game so pods was double responsible and he wins

If anybody considered Thome a whipping boy ... Wow.

It got to me wondering after seeing Thome mentioned. Are there any players in Sox history who are beloved on this board?

Who do you unequivocally love from the past?

Frank? It seems like people on the board do love him. I seem to recall reading some negative stuff about him the last year or 2 of his career. Maybe I'm wrong.

Paulie? He got torn into two seasons ago when he didn't hit. And some have said they'll gladly bag on him

if he starts to suck at any point.

Maggs?: I think he's been mocked on here.

Crede? Buried on here.

Pods? Buried on here.

Garland: Buried on here.

Chet Lemon?: Haven't seen any hate of late.

Ozzie: Was a popular player; regularly ripped on here.

Thome?: I thought he stayed pretty popular through the end but somebody has him on the whipping boy list. So I guess he got bagged on last year for the Ks and his hitting into the shift.

Jenks: crucified on here.

Dye: MVP buried on here.

Now I'm not saying some of these Sox players haven't been praised on occasion on this board, but who in Sox history would you say is universally BELOVED like the Dubs love Santo and Banks and Williams? Like the O's love Ripken, etc.

I would guess Minoso. Dick Allen maybe. Mark Buehrle maybe. Would Mark be the only guy from the 05 team universally loved? I haven't sensed any mocking of him when he's gotten lit up since the no hitter, just people pointing out his lousy stats outside the NL games.

Any reaction to this? What current or former Sox do you love and it will never change?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 04:14 AM)
I remember MFing him like nobody's business when he couldn't throw him out.

Then he went and COMPLETELY REDEEMED HIMSELF

Yep, and I remember having to apologize to jphat after the home run for bashing Pods...that of course was jphat was the biggest homer in the history of sports.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
Yep, and I remember having to apologize to jphat after the home run for bashing Pods...that of course was jphat was the biggest homer in the history of sports.

Amazing what a 180 turn he's made from 4-5 years ago. It is the equivalent to Greg hating every 05' Sox player, years later or J4L liking wite.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)

And I remember after the homer some random 15 yr old girl sitting behind jumped into my arms and I planted one on her lips and I didn't feel one bit guilty about.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 04:39 AM)
And I remember after the homer some random 15 yr old girl sitting behind jumped into my arms and I planted one on her lips and I didn't feel one bit guilty about.

so you pleaded not guilty then?

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 04:39 AM)

She's 20 now, so maybe you should look her up?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
words of wisdom doc...don't even bother trying to rationalize with your fiance the two weeks leading up to the wedding.

Personally, I don't think he'll even bother coming back from his bachelor party in Mexico...

Still waiting for that invite, by the way, Doc...;)

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
If anybody considered Thome a whipping boy ... Wow.

It got to me wondering after seeing Thome mentioned. Are there any players in Sox history who are beloved on this board?

Who do you unequivocally love from the past?

Frank? It seems like people on the board do love him. I seem to recall reading some negative stuff about him the last year or 2 of his career. Maybe I'm wrong.

Paulie? He got torn into two seasons ago when he didn't hit. And some have said they'll gladly bag on him

if he starts to suck at any point.

Maggs?: I think he's been mocked on here.

Thome?: I thought he stayed pretty popular through the end but somebody has him on the whipping boy list. So I guess he got bagged on last year for the Ks and his hitting into the shift.

Jenks: crucified on here.

Dye: MVP buried on here.

The last two Aprils when David Ortiz was barely hitting half his weight, do you think Red Sox nation was saying "Oh, its OK, he won us two World Series, go ahead and strike out 3 times a day" Are Braves fans not saying one bad thing about how much Chipper Jones has fallen off? Criticizing a player's current performance doesn't change your overall impression of them. 20 years from now, White Sox fans will talk about how great Paulie was when he was here, how he hit the biggest home run in Sox history, not when he sucked in 07. Dye will be remembered for having some of the best years of his career here and winning the WS MVP. That shouldn't stop people from not wanting him on the 2010 team cause he was the worst hitter in baseball in Aug & Sept. of 2009.

Ozzie: Was a popular player; regularly ripped on here.

If Cal Ripken were to take over as manager of the Orioles, and they were to suck as bad as they do now, what do you think the fans would be saying?? "This is not Cal's fault at all, cause I love him from the past so much. I won't blame him at all" Hell no, they will criticize him for the bad managing decisions he is making. It won't change the fact that he is still their favorite player and will always be a beloved Oriole. White Sox fans want the team to be successful right now, and if they disagree with what the manager is doing, they have the right to say so, no matter who he is.

Crede? Buried on here.

Pods? Buried on here.

Garland: Buried on here.

Now I'm not saying some of these Sox players haven't been praised on occasion on this board, but who in Sox history would you say is universally BELOVED like the Dubs love Santo and Banks and Williams? Like the O's love Ripken, etc.

Ripken, Banks, & Williams are all in the Hall of Fame and Santo is a borderline candidate. Stop f***ing comparing them to Crede, Pods, & Garland.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
The last two Aprils when David Ortiz was barely hitting half his weight, do you think Red Sox nation was saying "Oh, its OK, he won us two World Series, go ahead and strike out 3 times a day" Are Braves fans not saying one bad thing about how much Chipper Jones has fallen off? Criticizing a player's current performance doesn't change your overall impression of them. 20 years from now, White Sox fans will talk about how great Paulie was when he was here, how he hit the biggest home run in Sox history, not when he sucked in 07. Dye will be remembered for having some of the best years of his career here and winning the WS MVP. That shouldn't stop people from not wanting him on the 2010 team cause he was the worst hitter in baseball in Aug & Sept. of 2009.

If Cal Ripken were to take over as manager of the Orioles, and they were to suck as bad as they do now, what do you think the fans would be saying?? "This is not Cal's fault at all, cause I love him from the past so much. I won't blame him at all" Hell no, they will criticize him for the bad managing decisions he is making. It won't change the fact that he is still their favorite player and will always be a beloved Oriole. White Sox fans want the team to be successful right now, and if they disagree with what the manager is doing, they have the right to say so, no matter who he is.

Ripken, Banks, & Williams are all in the Hall of Fame and Santo is a borderline candidate. Stop f***ing comparing them to Crede, Pods, & Garland.

I like what you are saying, but this is an effort in futility. He wont stop, just let it go