The history of the Soxtalk Whipping Boy

knightni

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Personally, I don't think he'll even bother coming back from his bachelor party in Mexico...

Still waiting for that invite, by the way, Doc...;)

Cmon now I offered you my playoff tickets right behind the sox on deck circle!

Or maybe you don't have faith in us making the playoffs....

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
words of wisdom doc...don't even bother trying to rationalize with your fiance the two weeks leading up to the wedding.

I tried to rationalize not going to Wisconsin to visit her mother on 4th of July weekend and that didn't work so well...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
The game was in early July and the Cubs rebuilt the lead to eight games again.

My point is that the Cubs are still talking about 1969, a year that ended up pretty s***ty, acting like it was yesterday, not five decades ago. And I'm criticized on here for sticking up for a guy who had one of the biggest hits in a World Series five years ago.

I think many Sox fans are insane or insecure. I am not sure what the word is. When I think of Pods and Dye, I have great thoughts and these two guys have been mocked on here a lot. My point was if they had done what they did for the Cubs, they'd own this city not get mocked.

You keep mentioning how if the '05 guys had done what they did for the Cubs, they'd be the kings of the city forever and not be mocked. That honestly makes me want to mock guys like Pods even more. The LAST thing I want to be like is Cubs fans.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
One of the greatest things I've ever done was to put him on ignore. It makes day to day life that much happier. I suggest you all do the same.

As Admins/Mods, we can't do that.

One of the greatest things I've ever done was to put him on ignore. It makes day to day life that much happier. I suggest you all do the same.

Yeah standing up for players is really uncool. Sorry to offend you all for standing up for players.

I have to say that I think the criticism heaped on Greg does qualify him as the Soxtalk Whipping Boy, and just like the criticism heaped on Jizzcan, it's not really deserved.

Greg's opinions may be a little rosy as compared to the timbre of soxtalk as a whole, but I actually value that perspective. It keeps Soxtalk from getting too groupthink-y, which has the occasional tendency to happen.

Bring 'im on! Greg! Woot!

Greg's opinions may be a little rosy as compared to the timbre of soxtalk as a whole, but I actually value that perspective. It keeps Soxtalk from getting too groupthink-y, which has the occasional tendency to happen.

Thanks. Some guy put me on ignore. You didn't.

The world is round. There are differing opinions out there even on message boards.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 01:00 AM)
Thanks. Some guy put me on ignore. You didn't.

The world is round. There are differing opinions out there even on message boards.

I gotta say, I agree that you're different opinion is good for a board.

That being said, I agree with both sides.

I will never look on Crede, JD, and Pods with disgust because they gave me some of the best memories of my life, but they also all have major flaws in their game (sadly, Crede's was staying healthy)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 02:58 AM)
I gotta say, I agree that you're different opinion is good for a board.

That being said, I agree with both sides.

I will never look on Crede, JD, and Pods with disgust because they gave me some of the best memories of my life, but they also all have major flaws in their game (sadly, Crede's was staying healthy)

Among other things.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
Amazing what a 180 turn he's made from 4-5 years ago. It is the equivalent to Greg hating every 05' Sox player, years later or J4L liking wite.

What happened to me?!? :( I still remember that night like it was yesterday.

I don't look on Crede, Pods, or JD with disgust, just because I either criticize a flaw in their game (e.g. Dye being absolutely useless in the second half of 2009, or thinking it's completely silly to even consider bringing Crede back, or understanding that Pods and Pierre are basically the same player) doesn't mean that's what I'm doing. And frankly being shoehorned into that position with strawman arguments is pretty f***ing irritating.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
I don't look on Crede, Pods, or JD with disgust, just because I either criticize a flaw in their game (e.g. Dye being absolutely useless in the second half of 2009, or thinking it's completely silly to even consider bringing Crede back, or understanding that Pods and Pierre are basically the same player) doesn't mean that's what I'm doing. And frankly being shoehorned into that position with strawman arguments is pretty f***ing irritating.

Great post...take Jermaine Dye for example. Greg would probably say I'm a hater of Dye's, just because we were critical of his defense and wondered if he had hit the wall last season. However, I might be the only one, but I appreciate Jermaine's time with the Sox more than the likes of Carlos Lee and Magglio. Dye is the best FA signing in Sox history.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
Great post...take Jermaine Dye for example. Greg would probably say I'm a hater of Dye's, just because we were critical of his defense and wondered if he had hit the wall last season. However, I might be the only one, but I appreciate Jermaine's time with the Sox more than the likes of Carlos Lee and Magglio. Dye is the best FA signing in Sox history.

Dye was my favorite White Sox from about July 2005 until last year even when he was f***ing awful. I liked him better than Buehrle, Konerko, Crede, Rowand, all those fan favorites (still loved those guys though).

Greg would probably say I'm a hater of Dye's, just because we were critical of his defense and wondered if he had hit the wall last season. However, I might be the only one, but I appreciate Jermaine's time with the Sox more than the likes of Carlos Lee and Magglio. Dye is the best FA signing in Sox history.

When I make a comment on some of my favorites from the past and arguments start, nobody on the other side every issues posts like this. You say this now, which is great and fine and nice of course. What normally happens is I stand up for these guys when somebody bags on them and then all hell breaks loose.

By the way did anybody see D. Wise hit a bases loaded triple for the Blue Jays last night?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
When I make a comment on some of my favorites from the past and arguments start, nobody on the other side every issues posts like this. You say this now, which is great and fine and nice of course. What normally happens is I stand up for these guys when somebody bags on them and then all hell breaks loose.

By the way did anybody see D. Wise got a few hits last night?

For me, it's cause you post in absolutes and refuse to even acknowledge the faults of some of these players.

I acknowledge that AJ is having a bad year at the plate. He was on the 05 team.

I acknowledge Dye's defense was declining, but I'll never say he was a butcher out there during his Sox career. It took a while for those long legs to get moving at times and his last year he had a bad year. So what?

I could go through the rest of the guys like Pods, Jenks, et. all, but I doubt anybody wants to go there.

I never have said those 05 guys were perfect but I tend to stand up for them, especially in threads mocking Pods for striking out to end the game the other night when he also drove in two of KC's three runs, and people freaking out when Jenks lets a guy or two get on base but ultimately gets the save.

He sucks in tie games; last night Texas' ace phenom player of the century also sucked in entering a tie game.

Uh Putz walked the lead off guy last night as well and I wasn't freaking out.

Edited by greg775

Puts and Jenks's numbers haven't even been close this season, last time I compared their stats Putz was like twice as effective in every category. Bobby's been MUCH better the last month but he to call him mediocre for the other 2 months would be generous.