July White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
Thanks for the family bathroom info. That is important news.

Thanx!!

Some wild s*** online right now. Lindsay Lohan goin to jail. She's crying like a zombie.

The rich don't win this time.

Good news right there-- that broad is a menace. Maybe she'll clean up her act.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
Shingo was on a replay of "Unbeatable Banzuke" on G4 today, it's a Japanese gameshow with wacky challenges, Shingo was riding a giant rubber ball around an obstacle course

I don't even know how to express how happy this makes me.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
So who would have gotten the win if Peavy went out as he did in the 2nd with us up by 1 and the final score turned out to remain 1-0?

I'm sure it would have been Pena. It is up to the scorer who to give it to.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
Seems like such an arbitrary rule and I've always disliked it.

What if a team scored 1 in the top of the first then in the bottom the starter got the first out and was then removed due to injury or thrown out. I don't see it right that the starter gets the win, especially if a reliever came in and pitched 4 or 5 scoreless innings.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
I don't even know how to express how happy this makes me.

he had this ridiculously awesome grin on his face the whole time too!

Is there any way Pena would be better off as a starter? Maybe a guy who tries to overthrow/force pitches in a 1-2 inning scenario but is more relaxed and thus his stuff is better when he knows he's going to throw 4+ innings?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
What if a team scored 1 in the top of the first then in the bottom the starter got the first out and was then removed due to injury or thrown out. I don't see it right that the starter gets the win, especially if a reliever came in and pitched 4 or 5 scoreless innings.

Here's another hypothetical. The starter pitches 4 and 2/3 innings and his team is leading. They pull him because he's at 120 pitches already or whatever reason. There are 4 relievers that come in and each pitch 1 inning except one guy who pitches 1 and 1/3 inning, without ever losing the lead. Why shouldn't the starter get the win?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Here's another hypothetical. The starter pitches 4 and 2/3 innings and his team is leading. They pull him because he's at 120 pitches already or whatever reason. There are 4 relievers that come in and each pitch 1 inning except one guy who pitches 1 and 1/3 inning, without ever losing the lead. Why shouldn't the starter get the win?

I still think it's best because it covers the alternate situation. Requiring a starter to go 5 innings means he pitches > 50% of the game (i'm not counting 1/3 of an inning here) and to me that makes sense. It's a minimum requirement, just like an at bats or IP per game threshold to qualify for a batting or ERA title.

But I will say that I wouldn't be opposed to removing the rule that disqualifies the starter from receiving the win, as long as the 5 inning rule remained for the automatic 'W'.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)

Because a starter shouldn't have to throw 120 pitches to record 14 outs. I like the starter 5 inning rule personally. I honestly think the official scorer should have more discretion as to who the winning pitcher is. How many times do you see a LOOGY come in and get one out and be rewarded with a win because the offense comes out and scores 3 the next inning? It's silly, and a classic example of why wins for pitchers are massively overrated.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
I still think it's best because it covers the alternate situation. Requiring a starter to go 5 innings means he pitches > 50% of the game (i'm not counting 1/3 of an inning here) and to me that makes sense. It's a minimum requirement, just like an at bats or IP per game threshold to qualify for a batting or ERA title.

But I will say that I wouldn't be opposed to removing the rule that disqualifies the starter from receiving the win, as long as the 5 inning rule remained for the automatic 'W'.

I do believe that in extraordinary circumstances, the official scorer does have some discression

The GF got me tickets to the Sox/Twins game in Minnesota on the 17th. I told her that, if we're gonna go up there, we may as well get tickets for 2 games, so I'm likely going to be catching a couple Sox games after the break.

First games in 6 years, wee!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)

Because he barely made it through half the game. If he was at 120 pitches in the 5th, he was obviously laboring and pitching pretty awfully. If a starter can't make it thru 5 innings, then I agree he doesn't deserve the win.

Either way, wins are overrated for both starters & relievers. Tyler Clippard had six wins by May 9th, but also recorded a blown save in four of those games.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
So the Sox apparently have a better shot at winning the Central than do the Tigers, even with the Sox in 2nd place right now. That's neat.

That's with Peavy on the roster though. They talked about this the day before he got hurt, and how our player projections placed us at the top, but the schedule projection had Twins at like 45 pct, and Sox at 25ish

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
That's with Peavy on the roster though. They talked about this the day before he got hurt, and how our player projections placed us at the top, but the schedule projection had Twins at like 45 pct, and Sox at 25ish

Yeah, I kind of figured so. I still can't believe the Twins are that low though...apparently they don't have their updated projections with Cliff Lee in the rotation.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know Lillibridge's at-bat music? I organized a Sox outing for my department at work (Sox vs Yankees in August) and we'll be tailgating. It's my usual custom to play Sox-related music at the tailgate party, and I have just about everything listed on the Sox website-- but I like Lillibridge's music and Threet's as well (although I know his is a Springsteen song). Can anyone help me out? THANKS!!

PMD