July White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
Kieth Law ws tweeting that Vizquel was nowhere near the SS Jeter is/was. I unfollowed him.

HUH?

Jeter's had one, count 'em, one good year defensively at shortstop. Omar Vizquel has had countless seasons where he was absolutely brilliant there. Sure, he's not the same guy anymore, but Derek Jeter's always been the poster child of overrated defense. I would think a guy like Law, who does look at advanced stats, would actually understand that.

Erik Manning's take: http://palehosepariah.wordpress.com/2010/0...-hall-of-famer/

He writes a nice little sabr blog on the Sox BTW, also used to write for FanGraphs.

I'm kind of on the ledge about Omar and the hall. I think he will get in because of the gold gloves, but whether or not he deserves it...I don't know.

Defense is one thing, but offense is another. Vizquel was never a very good offensive player. He was always average to below average, but since he played SS and played great defense there, below average offense was more than acceptable.

Edited by chw42

Danks has a slight chance at the Cy Young. Not saying he really deserves it per say (Cliff Lee should definitely get it), but the writers who vote for these things don't always pick the best pitcher.

ZiPS RoS has Danks going 6-4 for the rest of the season. They also have him posting a 3.89 ERA. Even if Danks posts that for his next 13 starts, his ERA ends up at 3.48.

If Danks goes 6-4, he's going to have 17 wins on the year. If he maintains a ERA around the 3.2-3.3 range, there's a good chance he could get top 5 consideration along with guys like Price, Buchholz, Sabathia, Lee, and Lester. In order for him to win it, he'd need all of those guys to fail really badly.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
Danks has a slight chance at the Cy Young. Not saying he really deserves it per say (Cliff Lee should definitely get it), but the writers who vote for these things don't always pick the best pitcher.

ZiPS RoS has Danks going 6-4 for the rest of the season. They also have him posting a 3.89 ERA. Even if Danks posts that for his next 13 starts, his ERA ends up at 3.48.

If Danks goes 6-4, he's going to have 17 wins on the year. If he maintains a ERA around the 3.2-3.3 range, there's a good chance he could get top 5 consideration along with guys like Price, Buchholz, Sabathia, Lee, and Lester. In order for him to win it, he'd need all of those guys to fail really badly.

Or he'd need to pitch his ass off, ala Santana from like 04. If he goes all Josh Johnson on the AL from here on out, and lowers his ERA to about 2.75, and wins 18 or so games, he's probably got it in the bag.

I'm not going to count on that though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
Or he'd need to pitch his ass off, ala Santana from like 04. If he goes all Josh Johnson on the AL from here on out, and lowers his ERA to about 2.75, and wins 18 or so games, he's probably got it in the bag.

I'm not going to count on that though.

I'll take what you said.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
Erik Manning's take: http://palehosepariah.wordpress.com/2010/0...-hall-of-famer/

He writes a nice little sabr blog on the Sox BTW, also used to write for FanGraphs.

I'm kind of on the ledge about Omar and the hall. I think he will get in because of the gold gloves, but whether or not he deserves it...I don't know.

Defense is one thing, but offense is another. Vizquel was never a very good offensive player. He was always average to below average, but since he played SS and played great defense there, below average offense was more than acceptable.

I thought that Visquel had several pretty good offensive years with Cleveland. I know that he won't get into the Hall on his offensive prowess alone, but I thought that he was above average.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
I thought that Visquel had several pretty good offensive years with Cleveland. I know that he won't get into the Hall on his offensive prowess alone, but I thought that he was above average.

He was pretty good for a couple of years. But for the majority of his career, he's been very mediocre.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)

I know OPS is not the top stat to judge hitters by, but Vizquel has only had two seasons of an OPS+ above 100 (110 in '99 & 104 in '02), which would make him barely average at best. Then again, Ozzie Smith only had 4 such seasons.

Edit: 1999 was the only year Vizquel hit over .300 (.333) & 2002 was the only time he hit double digit homers (14).

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 08:02 AM)
Please tell me he doesn't have an HOF vote.

I think he does and he said he wouldn't vote Omar first ballot. But he may have been hypothetically saying that.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
I think he does and he said he wouldn't vote Omar first ballot. But he may have been hypothetically saying that.

Enough people will. He has legitimate reasons for not voting Omar in, but saying that Jeter was a better shortstop defensively just made me do a double take.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 08:17 AM)
I like the fact that Omar is pushing the Sox to go for it this year with his comments about trades!!

Dude's never won a World Series title...I'm sure he'd like to get one, so it makes sense that he would.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
Padres won at 82-80. Believe that is the worst.

I was thinking Divisional Record. Right now the Sox are 17-20 in the Central and are in 1st. That would be weird to win your division while having a losing record against them.