What does everyone think about Vizquel on the coaching staff?

caulfield12

Next year or in 2012?

He's already said he won't be playing for any team besides the White Sox unless it's a "very, very special" situation.

He also stated that he won't manage or coach in the minors, that he wants to join the coaching staff of an MLB team. (Maybe harder to do in light of the AJ Hinch fiasco).

What do you think about him on our staff?

Do you think Guillen would feel threatened?

I can tell you this, I think he would be more respected than Joey Cora as the manager...and be able to help with some selected free agents as well.

He has all the people skills in the world, the intelligence (baseball IQ), etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 01:22 AM)
Next year or in 2012?

He's already said he won't be playing for any team besides the White Sox unless it's a "very, very special" situation.

He also stated that he won't manage or coach in the minors, that he wants to join the coaching staff of an MLB team. (Maybe harder to do in light of the AJ Hinch fiasco).

What do you think about him on our staff?

Do you think Guillen would feel threatened?

I can tell you this, I think he would be more respected than Joey Cora as the manager...and be able to help with some selected free agents as well.

He has all the people skills in the world, the intelligence (baseball IQ), etc.

I would love to have him. Seems like a very smart baseball man. He would be a great addition, considering many of the skills we have been lacking for years he was pretty good at over the course of his career.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 02:52 AM)
With how Alexei's defense has improved, I'd be all for it. He could probably teach people how to bunt to.

Plus, like LaRussa with McGwire, we could activate him if need be.

Its not his defense that has improved, it is his mental approach. He is way more focused this year. I don't think I saw him go to right field at the right times this many times for his whole career, until this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
Its not his defense that has improved, it is his mental approach. He is way more focused this year. I don't think I saw him go to right field at the right times this many times for his whole career, until this year.

That was always Alexei's problem... ridiculous ability, dumb as a box of rocks. But I haven't seen any evidence of that at all this year.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Would love to see Vizquel on this coaching staff, that would be a great move, but isn't Cora's role to help the infield defense?

There is a difference between teaching defense and teaching the mental approach of playing defense. From a technical standpoint, there were really not many flaws to Alexeis game. His flaws were mental things like taking his time on a play when it didn't merit it, or not understanding a situation, and making a bad decision. Those things have really been reduced this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
There is a difference between teaching defense and teaching the mental approach of playing defense. From a technical standpoint, there were really not many flaws to Alexeis game. His flaws were mental things like taking his time on a play when it didn't merit it, or not understanding a situation, and making a bad decision. Those things have really been reduced this year.

Or simply forgetting to pay attention to where he was throwing a ball.