Your 2010 White Sox All Star- Matt Thornton

smalls2598

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thornton got picked because he's the top lefty reliever in baseball. The manager ostensibly is putting together the best team to win the game in order to get the home field advantage. For that reason he's a great choice. Rios, however, has had a better season than all 3 of the reserve outfielders. I could see Paulie potentially being kept out by Morneau, Cabrera, Youk. But Rios has been the best all around centerfielder in the AL, by a lot. What a crock.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
But we get Ty Wigginton and Jose Bautista! When the f*** will MLB abolish the ridiculous rule of every team requiring at least 1 player?

I don't mind the one team one player rule, but sheesh the Blue Jays actually get 3 schlubs on the team.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
I understand Victor Martinez would have been the reserve if he wasn't injured (I'd consider him more of a DH than a C though)... but outside of Mauer and Martinez, there isn't a catcher in the AL better than Buck (and his .270 BA and .310 OBP) this season?

You could probably make the case for Napoli, or Posada, but really Buck is a statistically sound pick.

But seriously, what the heck is Omar Infante doing on this team?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
But we get Ty Wigginton and Jose Bautista! When the f*** will MLB abolish the ridiculous rule of every team requiring at least 1 player?

Why? The Sox will get no one then. The entire roster will be made up of Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Twins.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
Beltre made it, him and A-Rod are the 3B reserves....

Good. I didn't see his name listed earlier.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
Why? The Sox will get no one then. The entire roster will be made up of Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Twins.

We get no respect anyway. I don't want to see the Ty Wigginton's and Fausto Carmona's of the world making a game that's supposed to represent the best baseball has to offer out of obligation.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
Good. I didn't see his name listed earlier.

We get no respect anyway. I don't want to see the Ty Wigginton's and Fausto Carmona's of the world making a game that's supposed to represent the best baseball has to offer out of obligation.

Lance Carter and Mike Williams will forever be known as All-Stars.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Wow.

Ortiz over Youk and Paulie and all the reserve OF over Rios is idiocy.

I can live with Ortiz. He's morphed back to his 2006 self since May 1. But Bautista is a joke. He had a 3 1/2 week stretch in May in which he hit 89 HRs. But besides that he's been awful. Check out his line since June 1: .188/5/11/.328/.396. He sucked in April, too.

I'm not even mad about this. I already reached the conclusion a few years ago that I wouldn't participate in the all star game. I don't even vote for Sox players when they're on the last player ballot anymore.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
I'm not even mad about this. I already reached the conclusion a few years ago that I wouldn't participate in the all star game. I don't even vote for Sox players when they're on the last player ballot anymore.

If I had known you were on the ballot I would have voted for you!

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
Jeff Passan is on fire today. Reading his tweets; he's legitimately furious that Infante made the team and then this:

Infante could be the worst All-Star pick ever (Rios and Konerko get a mention)

Jeff Passan is awesome. If I had to write something about how bad these selections were, I would write what he wrote.

He mixed everything in there. I really like his appreciation of sabermetrics.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
Jeff Passan is on fire today. Reading his tweets; he's legitimately furious that Infante made the team and then this:

Infante could be the worst All-Star pick ever (Rios and Konerko get a mention)

Im so glad someone finally mentioned Rios and Konerko. It was sickening how not a single person has brought up Konerko on ESPN, but everyone single one of them is heart broken that Youkilis didn't make it.

He did get one thing wrong. Just as he complains about Infante being on the team, you can use all those arguments for why Strasburg doesn't deserve to be on the team. Strasburg has some of the best stuff in the major leagues and has been impressive, but he's only had 6 starts and been in the bigs for a month! He didn't earn a spot on the team, plain and simple, no argument can say he earned the right to be an all-star other than hype.

Rhodes and Meeks both make sense. Rhodes was needed because they need at least 1 lefty to face some of the lefties on the AL team, and Rhodes is arguably the best LOOGY in baseball right now.

Latos deserves a spot over Lincecum, Lincecum only hurts the NL squad with the way he's been pitching the past month+.

I have no problem with the "at least 1" rule as long as you come up with some set of requirements that a player has to be above to get a pick. If your team sucks so much that you don't have 1 player above said requirements, you then definitely don't deserve "at least 1."

However, it is a nice way to prevent the all-star game from getting completely overrun by the Yankees, Red Sox and whoevers team is defending world series champs.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
Im so glad someone finally mentioned Rios and Konerko. It was sickening how not a single person has brought up Konerko on ESPN, but everyone single one of them is heart broken that Youkilis didn't make it.

He did get one thing wrong. Just as he complains about Infante being on the team, you can use all those arguments for why Strasburg doesn't deserve to be on the team. Strasburg has some of the best stuff in the major leagues and has been impressive, but he's only had 6 starts and been in the bigs for a month! He didn't earn a spot on the team, plain and simple, no argument can say he earned the right to be an all-star other than hype.

Rhodes and Meeks both make sense. Rhodes was needed because they need at least 1 lefty to face some of the lefties on the AL team, and Rhodes is arguably the best LOOGY in baseball right now.

Latos deserves a spot over Lincecum, Lincecum only hurts the NL squad with the way he's been pitching the past month+.

You know why he did? Because Jeff Passan likes sabermetrics. Seriously, outside of the sabermetric circle and us White Sox fans, most people still think Rios sucks.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 07:05 PM)
You know why he did? Because Jeff Passan likes sabermetrics. Seriously, outside of the sabermetric circle and us White Sox fans, most people still think Rios sucks.

That's not true.

I watch a lot of our games on other teams' broadcasts, and they all talk about how he has turned his career around. Now I dunno if they realize just how great he was in April and May, but they have recognized how well he has been playing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)
That's not true.

I watch a lot of our games on other teams' broadcasts, and they all talk about how he has turned his career around. Now I dunno if they realize just how great he was in April and May, but they have recognized how well he has been playing.

I've had people tell me that "it's only two months" and crap. Maybe I've just run into a lot of stupid people, but it doesn't seem like Rios is being appreciated enough. Just look at the ASG voting.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
I've had people tell me that "it's only two months" and crap. Maybe I've just run into a lot of stupid people, but it doesn't seem like Rios is being appreciated enough. Just look at the ASG voting.

Well, you can chalk that up to us being the Chicago White Sox. No one gives a s*** about us.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
Well, you can chalk that up to us being the Chicago White Sox. No one gives a s*** about us.

It's not like anybody gives a s*** about the Rays, yet they still had guys like Crawford and Longoria get in.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 08:15 PM)
It's not like anybody gives a s*** about the Rays, yet they still had guys like Crawford and Longoria get in.

The Rays dramatic rise as well as the fact that they play in the same division as Boston and NY make them a lot more visible than our Club.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
The Rays dramatic rise as well as the fact that they play in the same division as Boston and NY make them a lot more visible than our Club.

I guess. But still, I wouldn't put it like nobody cares about the Sox, we're still in a pretty big market.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
I guess. But still, I wouldn't put it like nobody cares about the Sox, we're still in a pretty big market.

Our WS was like the weakest rated World Series in history or something.