Prince Fielder Speculation

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
Fielder will cost way more than this organization is going to be willing to pay, extension wise

If we did trade for and extend Prince we'd be paying about $51.5M to Peavy, Rios and Fielder in 2012, doesn't sound like a great idea for a team with a payroll hovering around $100M and possessing a weak farm system.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
If we did trade for and extend Prince we'd be paying about $51.5M to Peavy, Rios and Fielder in 2012, doesn't sound like a great idea for a team with a payroll hovering around $100M and possessing a weak farm system.

Which is why I said what I said

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)

And that is a very fair point.

But I am certainly not going to rule out the possibility of it because it doesn't sound like a good idea...

QUOTE (opwhitesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
Add to the 6 million they had available for Damon and the money they will safe after next year when the finally rid themselves of Linebrink and extra ticket sales and you can make a decent offer to extend Prince.

Fielder would be the highest paid player on our team, that extra 6 million and losing Linebrink just isnt going to make as much of a dent into his extension as you think

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Upton-Rios-Pierre would be insane defensively. That would be one of the best outfields in the league.

No f***ing way I put Pierre in right, you'd see a lot of singles turned into doubles lol

Fielder would cost the Sox too many good prospects, and be too expensive to keep past next season.

Moreover, he is a better hitter than the Sox really need.

They simply need a good left handed bat for the middle of the order. They need a guy who can add a left handed presence and break up the string of right handed hitters.

However, they don't need that guy to be their best hitter. A guy with an on base percentage of .370 or better, who is capable of hitting 20 to 25 homers, and driving in 80 to 90 runs would be fine.

Pitching is what will carry this team, if they are to make a run at the post season. The offense would be good enough with a more modest acquisition.

A player of the caliber of Dunn or Fielder is really not necessary, if the pitching holds up.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
A guy with an on base percentage of .370 or better, who is capable of hitting 20 to 25 homers, and driving in 80 to 90 runs would be fine.

A player of the caliber of Dunn or Fielder is really not necessary, if the pitching holds up.

So who is this other guy that's going to hit 25 HRs drive in 90 runs and have a .370 OBP?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 08:41 PM)

Considering that we might have a rotation of Peavy/Floyd/Hudson/Sale/? in 2012, that might not make things any more difficult than they are currently, in terms of payroll.

Currently, we're paying our 5-man rotation and Paul Konerko a total of $48.25M.

A rotation of Peavy/Floyd/Hudson/Sale/ plus Fielder would probably put us around $47M. That gives you a few million to play with to add a veteran SP or another young arm to fill out the rotation.

Right now the Sox have a major pitching advantage over both the Twins and the Tigers but If the Twins add Lee and they are in the running for him then the Sox also have to make a major deal just to stay even with them. If the Twins add Lee as their ace and the hitting advantage of Morneau and Mauer would again make the Twins the favorites to win the division. Kenny will pull another rabbit out of his hat and make the blockbuster deal for a stud left handed hitter not just a decent lefty hitter.

QUOTE (opwhitesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
Every extra seat that is sold in a serious playoff run is more money in the pot to spend on upgrading the team. Who will sell more tickets this year and next year and give the Sox a better chance of making the playoffs Prince or the combo of Kotsay & Jones?

But even a serious playoff run wouldn't be enough to sign Fielder, who is a Boras client, to an extension worth $20 mill per season, which he is almost certain to get.

And of course Fielder would sell more tickets and making the playoffs, but the Sox can't make decisions that are going to put them in the red.

As was pointed out above, if the Sox were to sign Fielder to an extension, they'd have half of their payroll locked up in 3 players. That's not the way the Sox operate, and, under Reinsdorf, never will be. Doing so would be putting all of their eggs into 3 baskets, and if they failed even a little bit, the Sox would be monumentally screwed.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
No f***ing way I put Pierre in right, you'd see a lot of singles turned into doubles lol

Pierre has been doing a great job in LF, Upton in RF would make the outfield exponentially better simply for moving Q to DH full time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
But even a serious playoff run wouldn't be enough to sign Fielder, who is a Boras client, to an extension worth $20 mill per season, which he is almost certain to get.

And of course Fielder would sell more tickets and making the playoffs, but the Sox can't make decisions that are going to put them in the red.

As was pointed out above, if the Sox were to sign Fielder to an extension, they'd have half of their payroll locked up in 3 players. That's not the way the Sox operate, and, under Reinsdorf, never will be. Doing so would be putting all of their eggs into 3 baskets, and if they failed even a little bit, the Sox would be monumentally screwed.

Wite, right now we have $41 million locked up in 3 players.

Considering how much money is invested in our pitching staff right now, I don't think it's necessarily impossible to put together a playoff roster even if you've got $50M locked up in 3 guys.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
Considering that we might have a rotation of Peavy/Floyd/Hudson/Sale/? in 2012, that might not make things any more difficult than they are currently, in terms of payroll.

A rotation of Peavy/Floyd/Hudson/Sale/ plus Fielder would probably put us around $47M. That gives you a few million to play with to add a veteran SP or another young arm to fill out the rotation.

I also don't want a whole hell of a lot to do with giving Prince Fielder an 8 year deal.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
I also don't want a whole hell of a lot to do with giving Prince Fielder an 8 year deal.

Well, he is a bit hefty...and you worry about what he might start to look like when he is 32, 33, 34 years old.

I guess I just enjoy talking about acquiring an impact bat...and he is one of the few that I believe may actually become available.

Obviously, the chances are not good that a deal of this magnitude gets pulled-off.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
The problem with this is EVERYONE is going to be looking at LaRoche.

Lets spitball a bit. Who out of all the contenders will be in need of a 1B/DH?

Those teams would be: NYY, BOS, TBR, DET, MIN, CHW, TEX, LAA, ATL, NYM, PHI, CIN, STL, SDP, LAD, COL, SFG?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
Wite, right now we have $41 million locked up in 3 players.

Considering how much money is invested in our pitching staff right now, I don't think it's necessarily impossible to put together a playoff roster even if you've got $50M locked up in 3 guys.

Even at $41 million, that still allows you to spend $10 mill on one more player than the $51 mill between 3. That 4th $10 mill man this year is Alex Rios, and he's been pretty damn valuable.

I don't think it's impossible, but it would take a lot of fancy maneuvering, and you either need a great boost from the farm system, some great trades, and a hell of a lot of luck.

Personally, I'd rather spread $51 mill over 4 players than 3, especially when one of the 3 players plays 1B, which is a generally easy position to fill with a solid offensive player. If I'm going to spend $20 million on someone, I want to say that, without a doubt, they are one of the best in baseball. Can you really say that about Prince Fielder?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)

I think its way too early to be counting on Sale being in the rotation in 2012, let alone ever. Let's wait until he has more than one minor league game under his belt.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
Lets spitball a bit. Who out of all the contenders will be in need of a 1B/DH?

Those teams would be: NYY, BOS, TBR, DET, MIN, CHW, TEX, LAA, ATL, NYM, PHI, CIN, STL, SDP, LAD, COL, SFG?

These 4 could use an upgrade if it became available. However, James Loney is cheap and under control for another 2 years, and I'm not sure LA can really afford to add salary. Texas can't afford to add salary, and have cheap options in Smoak and Davis. LAA could use him, but they could also either try and strike up a deal with Milwaukee or Washington, or they could stick with Napoli and whatever AAAA flavor of the week they have. Chicago could certainly use him, but Kotsay is heating up, and Ozzie Guillen loves his beard.