AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

chw42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
Plowing through the Braves and taking 2/3 from a sizzing hot Rangers team on a field we never play that well on, those are some nice indicators...as you said, we've got a long ways to go, and the Angels at home will be another good barometer.

Only 3 teams have won a series at Minnesota so far, the Yankees and Rays being two of those teams, so ANYTIME you beat a team 14-15-16 games over .500 in the first half of any season 2/3 on their home field is a pretty big moral victory.

You missed the joke...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
You missed the joke...

It was a sucky one. :P

Prior to this series, we did lose 2/3 to the Royals. I hope this isn't another "playing down to the competition" year only against AL teams (minus Seattle). Great win though against a first place team. This Angels series is gonna be a good one.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 12:47 AM)
It's so weird...the team is 1 game back, but in no way does it feel like that....

Absolutely could not agree with you 100 percent more. Being right there around the 4th of July/All Star Break usually has a special feeling to it, but I just don't have it right now. I guess a lot of us are still skeptical with our record against the AL (and understandably so), but I will say that between our pitching finding it's stride and this division looking kind of mediocre, we have a great shot to be right within striking distance the rest of the way. Be nice to acquire a bat or two though, I think that'd make many of us feel a lot more excited.

One other point I think though is that as late as July 23rd of last year, we were 50-45 and tied for 1st place coming off a perfect game. Of course, the whole thing just completely died on us after that, and I think in a sense this feels eerily similar to that season for a lot of us right now, and it's hard to shake a memory that recent.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
Do you have to look at stats to know a plus offensive player ? What exactly is a plus offensive play ? He's hitting .278 with some power and decent speed on the bases. That's plus enough for me.

He still can't take a walk, is incredibly inconsistent, and looks like he's in little league at times at the plate. He's still got a long ways to go.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
He's been over a .300 hitter with an 800+ OPS since first month of the season.

He's obviously improved by leaps and bounds defensively in the last 4-6 weeks...for whatever reason.

When I said "plus" hitter, I meant compared to the league average for that position.

You won't find many shortstops who are in the Top 5 defensively and Top 10 offensively that are 28 years old and signed to such an affordable contract. I'd like to find another one that wouldn't cost our entire farm system to trade for.

At best, Alexei is average to slightly above average right now.

His .309 wOBA ranks third to last among all eligible AL SS.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 12:47 AM)
It's so weird...the team is 1 game back, but in no way does it feel like that....

The thing that seems REALLY weird to me is that, as of last night, the Twins have the same number of losses as we do.

He still can't take a walk, is incredibly inconsistent, and looks like he's in little league at times at the plate. He's still got a long ways to go.

Yeah but he just won us a baseball game that against the best team in the AL that puts us 1 game out of 1st place.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
Yeah but he just won us a baseball game that against the best team in the AL that puts us 1 game out of 1st place.

You can't let the moment blind you...

That's like saying Geoff Blum just won us game 3 of the World Series, he is the greatest extra innings hitter ever. Or giving Scott Podsednik a lifetime pass because he hit a walkoff home run in the World Series.

If Alexei grounded into a double play to end the game, would you still be giving him praise? We gotta look at this with a little more objectivity.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)
At best, Alexei is average to slightly above average right now.

No. Right now he's hotter than ****...

Batting .393 over his last 10 games.

And considering he was batting .214 on May 15th, reaching almost .280 before the all-star break is pretty damn impressive.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
No. Right now he's hotter than ****...

Batting .393 over his last 10 games.

And considering he was batting .214 on May 15th, reaching almost .280 before the all-star break is pretty damn impressive.

10 games shouldn't sway your opinion on a player's overall ability.

Alexei still has a ton of weaknesses.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)

Okay. How about he's batting .300 since May 1st (200 at-bats)?

Seems like you're simply looking for reasons to trash him, IMO.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
Okay. How about he's batting .300 since May 1st (200 at-bats)?

Seems like you're simply looking for reasons to trash him, IMO.

You should read my post on the first page of the thread.

I said he was the best defensive SS in baseball, I don't like trashing on the guy.

But some of you are overestimating his offensive ability. I have legitimate reasons for the things I post about him.

Edited by chw42

Alexei always heats up with the weather. As for his defense, its significantly better since Teahen hasn't played 3B. I don't know if playing next to Omar calmed him down, or he didn't have to worry about covering the entire left side of the infield or whatever the reason, but he's playing much better right now. Until the bonehead plays return, if they return, SS is not an issue for the White Sox at least until it gets cold again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
Alexei always heats up with the weather. As for his defense, its significantly better since Teahen hasn't played 3B. I don't know if playing next to Omar calmed him down, or he didn't have to worry about covering the entire left side of the infield or whatever the reason, but he's playing much better right now. Until the bonehead plays return, if they return, SS is not an issue for the White Sox at least until it gets cold again.

With the way he is hitting right now, Alexei projects to be a 3.1 WAR player with his great defense. If he keeps the defense up and hits like his career norms, he's an incredibly valuable player.

What's with being Mr. Buzzkill? He's hot as hell. We need him to hit like this considering he puts some life into a punchless lineup.

I like the Lexi of summertime compared to the early season lousy Lexi. Enjoy.