Ozzie, Gardenhire, or Leyland?

Marty34

Can I say neither?

All three are really bad at something.

Ozzie can't make a lineup or use his bullpen right.

Gardnehire has similar problems, plus he's not as good as Ozzie off the field.

Leyland breaks his pitcher's elbows frequently.

I feel that Ozzie does some great managing in the playoff type situations. He hardly made a false move in 2005, although one could argue that it would have been difficult to make a managerial mistake with that team. However, it does seem that he puts the right lineup out there and tends to use his pitchers more effectively when the season is on the line. Why he doesn't do that on a daily basis is beyond me.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)
I feel that Ozzie does some great managing in the playoff type situations. He hardly made a false move in 2005, although one could argue that it would have been difficult to make a managerial mistake with that team. However, it does seem that he puts the right lineup out there and tends to use his pitchers more effectively when the season is on the line. Why he doesn't do that on a daily basis is beyond me.

That's cause he didn't have many moves to make. When your starting pitchers throw 4 straight complete games, is there anything you have to do?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
That's cause he didn't have many moves to make. When your starting pitchers throw 4 straight complete games, is there anything you have to do?

But how many managers would let their pitchers throw complete games. I'm not an Ozzie fan but I give him credit for 2005.

However, he managed horribly down the strecth in 2008. Griffey in CF, the four man rotation. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
But how many managers would let their pitchers throw complete games. I'm not an Ozzie fan but I give him credit for 2005.

However, he managed horribly down the strecth in 2008. Griffey in CF, the four man rotation. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

The team had some big leads. Outside of game 5, he really had no hard decisions to make in regards to the starters.

Edited by chw42

Gardy has continually won with lesser talent. But this year they have the most talent, IMO, and aren't doing too hot. Leyland is solid, as is Ozzie. But regardless, I still want Gardy. He's won five division champions compared to Ozzie's two. Leyland has been around for awhile, but only been to five playoffs.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
The team had some big leads. Outside of game 5, he really had no hard decisions to make in regards to the starters.

eh, while we were successful in 2005, you'd have to watch the games to see that for some reason they were the best managed games ozzie's ever had. That suicide squeeze v. boston, for instance.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
eh, while we were successful in 2005, you'd have to watch the games to see that for some reason they were the best managed games ozzie's ever had. That suicide squeeze v. boston, for instance.

He did everything right that postseason, but there weren't that many things that had to be done by the manager. The players just performed.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)

This and Ozzie's willingness to defend players.

Also, I'm biased.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
All managers are bad at something.

I'd take the guy with the team with the best talent.

Players win games.

That said, Ozzie rocks.

No, but these three are all really bad at something, not just bad.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
Leyland panicked down the stretch last year and it cost the Tigers. Gardenhire has never been the favorite in a pennant race, no one knows how he'll react.

How did Leyland panic? Did he panic in 06?

You guys are putting a bit too much into how these guys do during playoff games and games in September.

No, but these three are all really bad at something, not just bad.

My guess is in the message board age, you could bury any manager of the White Sox or any team just by watching a week's worth of games.

All managers suck to armchair quarterbacks. All of them.

Give any manager a week of scrutiny on this board, following every pitch in a game, and that manager by the end of the week will be trash.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
My guess is in the message board age, you could bury any manager of the White Sox or any team just by watching a week's worth of games.

All managers suck to armchair quarterbacks. All of them.

Give any manager a week of scrutiny on this board, following every pitch in a game, and that manager by the end of the week will be trash.

Nobody said any of us could do a better job, that's you interpreting it that way. In your eyes, if Ozzie killed one of his players, it'd be okay because that player was obviously in the wrong and not performing.

It is hard to say. Ozzie and Gardenhire are shortstops and Leyland is a catcher. And at their ages I just don't see them making much of a contribution. :ph34r:

Actually to really answer the question you have to know the personality of the players and if they are charging or being charged. I'd be happy and unhappy with any of the three. Based on history, I'd take Ozzie with a lead and any of the three doing the chasing.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
Nobody said any of us could do a better job, that's you interpreting it that way. In your eyes, if Ozzie killed one of his players, it'd be okay because that player was obviously in the wrong and not performing.

He won a World Series, you can't talk about him that way...

Gardenhire

Guillen

and then some....Leyland.

Jim Leyland is a horrificly bad manager. Overuses his pitchers, doesn't have a clue about using a bullpen. And he's older than dirt. If White Sox fans hate Ozzie, then there is no word to decribe Tigers fan's feelings towards Leyland. I'd take Guillen 8 days a week over Leyland.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
Jim Leyland is a horrificly bad manager. Overuses his pitchers, doesn't have a clue about using a bullpen. And he's older than dirt. If White Sox fans hate Ozzie, then there is no word to decribe Tigers fan's feelings towards Leyland. I'd take Guillen 8 days a week over Leyland.

As someone from Southeast Michigan, most of my friends are Tigers fans, and you are absolutely right. They HATE Leyland, and make some pretty persuasive arguments as to why. If you think Ozzie makes some headscratchers, just try watching Leyland for a full season.

That said, probably Gardenhire by a slim-ish margin

Edited by ScottyDo